Q3 physics: pmove_fixed & pmove_msec

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Q3 physics: pmove_fixed & pmove_msec

Post by tar »

It is not about that one jump but this one "specific fancy trick" just can be used for a quick demonstration/comparison and it shows that the speed/height/length calculation for circle and strafe jumps on 200 FPS is not as good as on 125 FPS, in general and that most maps have been created for 125 FPS. But sure, I agree that the 200 FPS settings affects everybody on unfreeze (except one is resetting his com_maxpfs and cl_maxpackets to 125 regularly and his hardware suits that) and that it only plays a role when you want to reach the full potential of a map and your own movement (which must not include special fancy trick jumps but good strafe and circle jumps).

I just tried it out with vsync enabled and com_maxfps = 83 but what I got was 76 FPS (whyever) and an even choppier movement as with vsyn off and 125 FPS (or 200 FPS and pmove_fixed = 1). With 76 FPS I was able to do bridge-to-rail in 1 out 10 tries.

To play somewhere else won't solve this issue as my monitor is just not good enough to fit the standards (125 FPS) without chopping and therefore I would need at least 120 hz (as Dirks CRT has), I suppose. Perhaps the issue will still be there with 200 hz (as this is not fitting for 125 again) but I do not know.

From your statements I thought you wanted to make unfreeze optimised for actual hardware and get rid of that default 125 FPS optimisation (therefore you set com_maxfps to 200). So I do not understand why you think I want you to sell something special to me? Strange. Perhaps I am completely off the debate and just cannot follow you.
newb.zi (stats · system)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

@tar

i believe you are the only player on the server with that specific issue and that is why adminless is not going to fix it. there is no overall improvement for everyone else on this issue. i belive most players use 60hz monitors and they do not know how "smooth" quake 3 can be.

ANOTHER IDEA: is it possible to force your monitor to 100hz and deactivate vsync? that should help the jittering

best regards
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

i believe you are the only player on the server with that specific issue and that is why adminless is not going to fix it. there is no overall improvement for everyone else on this issue. i belive most players use 60hz monitors and they do not know how "smooth" quake 3 can be.
I see.
ANOTHER IDEA: is it possible to force your monitor to 100hz and deactivate vsync? that should help the jittering
I forced my monitor to 100 hz already and with that it runs totally smooth on 100, 200, 250, 333 and 500 FPS (slight jittering on 166 FPS).

The jittering starts when I either set the FPS differently (76, 83/84, 111, 125, 142) or when I activate pmove_fixed (and its using 125 FPS calculation).

I also tried to use a lower resolution and set it to 125 hz but this does not work (even not with 1024x768) and setting it to 60 hz does not do anything better :)

Whatever, I will leave it as it is (200 FPS, vsync off, no pmove_fixed).
newb.zi (stats · system)
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

Ja używam starego notebooka Asus intel core 3:) 15,6 cali i wymiatałm:) ale mam zamiar zmienić na notebook omen lub predator 17 cali
I use the old notebook Asus intel core 3 :) 15.6 inches and I swept :) but I'm going to change to an omen notebook or predator 17 inches
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

@tar

try: com_maxfps 125 and r_swapinterval 1 (maybe vid_restart needed). do you see constant 100fps? r_swapinterval 1 is vsync on quake. it does work (not like r_displayrefresh). if you have full 100 fps then ur monitor does not really run on 100hz. then u can try "custom resolution utility" to force 100hz for that specific screen solution u use in q3.
i am not sure if ur high tech super smart monitor works the way its supposed to ^^
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

A do tego najlepiej czerwone tekstury i białe modele )
And for this, the best red textures and white models)
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

A najlepiej Q3 działa na starych kineskopowych monitorach 100hz:)
And the best Q3 works on old cathode monitors, 100hz :)
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

A w ogóle wszyscy piszą tylko o cfg do Q3, ale każdy ma inny sprzęt"komputer" też ma znaczenie windows, lepiej używać win7 , w zależności kto jaki ma sprzęt win10 ma większe z użycie procesora i pamięci, do tego najlepiej mieć powyłanczane niepotrzebne programy w gratulacje żeby odciążyć z użycie pamięć i i procesora a najlepiej Q3 działa na win98:)
And in general everyone only writes about cfg to Q3, but everyone has a different hardware "computer" also has windows, better use win7, depending on who has the equipment win10 has more of the CPU and memory, it is best to have unnecessary programs exited congratulations to ease the use of memory and processor, and preferably Q3 works on win98 :)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

btw I just finished pushing a quick ioQuake3 patch for that over 125 maxpackets sync thing I had talked about here, I would appreciate if someone get it and test it under windows (I haven't yet only in linux but anyways I believe that it should work the same), that would definitively buy me some time. I've just been testing now for an hour or so and it definitively looked like it does improve the game, at least my in-game ping decreased between 4-7 msecs and everything seemed more stable and responsive overall, so definitively check it out and let me know if it didn't broke in windows (I'll test it any time "soon" anyways). btw note that I removed both cl_maxpackets and com_maxfps from the client engine (they will not work anymore) for all the reasons that I discussed here among others, so the client engine is now locked at 200 fps max and it always sends all the possible packets as by current network's performance it makes no sense to limit them anymore. whoever wants to limits the fps here will have to go for turning vsync on on his graphics drivers which overall I believe that it should sync pretty fine anyways on most situations.

that's it check it out, it's still just a quick patch I'll go polishing over these days but mostly just the usual code maintenance/cleanse/review for 2018 environments nothing special more or less the important is that. in addition this time I also added a new i686 optimized linux build (matching the server build) in addition to the generic i586 one for whoever is interested, definitively worth checking if you're a linux user.

you have them for download at the usual place: ftp://ftp.fpsclasico.de/ioquake3/
(re-download and re-place as usual, perhaps this time re-name rather that just directly re-place, and let me know)
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

fernandinho1337 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 20:27try: com_maxfps 125 and r_swapinterval 1 (maybe vid_restart needed). do you see constant 100fps? r_swapinterval 1 is vsync on quake. it does work (not like r_displayrefresh). if you have full 100 fps then ur monitor does not really run on 100hz. then u can try "custom resolution utility" to force 100hz for that specific screen solution u use in q3.
i am not sure if ur high tech super smart monitor works the way its supposed to ^^
vsync works when i enable it in my graphics drivers for the q3.exe and then see the fps are reduced to 100 (flickering 98-102 in msec). changing r_swapinterval does not affect anything in-game.

i use the same resolution on q3 and desktop (3440x1440) and i customized it to 100 hz in my nvidia settings. so not much more to tweak there. i also changed it with CRU but that did not change much :)
the client engine is now locked at 200 fps max and it always sends all the possible packets as by current network's performance
Thanks.
newb.zi (stats · system)
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

Redirk poratuje a widzę że nasze stare posty usunięte a to dlslaczego
T_dearpimental 1 to włączone będzie co to robi? I vsync on czy na off??
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

Redird r
_swapinterval 1 vsync off czy on? Pokombinuje dziś troche trochę wczoraj pograłem akurat dm11bylo graliśmy w jednym teamie także wiesz pisać dalej na q nie mogę
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Nowy Mam problem ze zrozumieniem, nie używam VSYNC. newb.zi ma problemy bez. Tak to jest. Ważne jest, aby mieć wysoką wartość HZ / FPS w używanej rozdzielczości. vsync jest w mojej opinii drugorzędny
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

Ok już rozumie, wiem że mnie ciężko zrozumieć google źle tłumaczy z polskiego na angielski , efekty LG i plazma gun zmieniłem z Cpma podmieniłem , configiem i teksturami od tygodnia się bawię