Re: Quake 3 Configuration Guide (discussion here)

User's Guides & Help forum.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Re: Re: Quake 3 Configuration Guide (discussion here)

Post by fernandinho1337 »

Hello,

as configs become a bigger topic:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiLtAj8VB9CjgYZ-KrPobIUXnuAKtQ

It is a collection of various quake configs and some related games

enjoy! ;-)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

Hello,

":!: Important note:
If you want to use vertical synchronization (VSYNC) do not set the internal r_swapinterval to "1" as this has no effect. Instead use your driver settings to activate it. VSYNC should reduce stuttering but also restrict your FPS to your monitor refresh rate. Furthermore, do not set your monitor refresh rate in the variable r_displayrefresh as this also has no effect. Instead set it within com_maxfps."

I am not sure if com_maxfps has really an effect on refresh rate.

If I do com_maxfps 125 and do r_swapinterval 0 I can see by looking at cg_drawfps 1 that the computer apparently calculates 125 frames per seconds. Depending on the screen resolution I use my monitor shows me 60 to 120hz (I can feel that difference). So the refreshrate your monitor actually uses really depends on the settings in the OS and the drivers.

best regards

^^
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

I am not sure if com_maxfps has really an effect on refresh rate.

If I do com_maxfps 125 and do r_swapinterval 0 I can see by looking at cg_drawfps 1 that the computer apparently calculates 125 frames per seconds. Depending on the screen resolution I use my monitor shows me 60 to 120hz (I can feel that difference). So the refreshrate your monitor actually uses really depends on the settings in the OS and the drivers.
Of course, com_maxfps has no effect on the monitor refresh rate. It sets the in-game FPS and therefore you should set com_maxfps as high as your monitor refresh rate is (especiall if VSYNC is activated) or above and use a recommended value. Furthermore com_maxfps is connected to cl_maxpackets, see here.
newb.zi (stats · system)
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Btw. I corrected some descriptions.

I am unsure whether it is better activating VSYNC or not. Somehow, the display seems smoother but as my monitor can actually handle only 100 Hz my FPS are also reduced, of course, and therefore I think my movement is disadvantaged per se which it also seems to be with 200 FPS (set by UnFreeZe) when VSYNC is off. Has this something to do with the native Q3 physics (highest jumps with FPS = 125 or 333) or with pmove_fixed (what does this do?)?
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

probably for you in particular won't do much of a difference 200 or 100 VSYNC although I believe that probably 200 should make for a game more responsive. as a general advise is always better to turn off vsync, and by "general" here I mean the majority of the times as numbers don't use (at least are not guarantee) to be that whole like in your case (which leads to choppy gameplay).
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

OK, then I have to wait until this monitor will be released to the market before I can enable VSYNC (GSYNC) :)
newb.zi (stats · system)
Ca+hode
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Ca+hode »

I have no ideea what you are talking about. But since I toyed with the settings I lost my 20 frags killing spree and my place in top 100. So I am no longer touching the ch_. I'm just changing my model and head based on mood. Have a great one on what you guys are ploting.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Ca+hode wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 20:04 I have no ideea what you are talking about. But since I toyed with the settings I lost my 20 frags killing spree and my place in top 100. So I am no longer touching the ch_. I'm just changing my model and head based on mood. Have a great one on what you guys are ploting.
I wondered why you became an easier kill ;)
Ca+hode
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Ca+hode »

alyeti wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:43
Ca+hode wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 20:04 I have no ideea what you are talking about. But since I toyed with the settings I lost my 20 frags killing spree and my place in top 100. So I am no longer touching the ch_. I'm just changing my model and head based on mood. Have a great one on what you guys are ploting.
I wondered why you became an easier kill ;)
Yes well I can't play as tuned in like during lockdown. But also life events related to Corona make me play and work a lot more distracted. Somethimes I play listening to podcasts :)). Cheers!