Question

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Question

Post by nickaero »

I'd like to know a few specifics about the gameplay on Unfreeze servers and Q3, namely:

What's the exact cool down time between shots for Rocket Launcher, Railgun and Grenade Launcher, and how do they compare to vanilla values.

Also, what's the time it takes to switch weapons (Withought taking into account reload time) and how does it compare to vanilla gameplay

I'm not here to suggest any changes, would just like to understand the gameplay more in depth
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Question

Post by adminless »

the firing rate for rockets and rail is same as vanilla, that's it, 800 and 1500 msecs. grenades are boosted from 800 msec in vanilla to 600 at UnFreeZe. switch times are vanilla, 250 msecs, if I don't recall wrong.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

Ok thank you very much. 👍
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

adminless wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 19:48 switch times are vanilla, 250 msecs, if I don't recall wrong.
Could you please check the switch cooldown?
I read a lot of times that for Q3A vanilla it's equals the weapon reload time for which we switch.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

that's the raise time, the raise time, yes, it's obviously equal to the cooldown time of the weapon fired, otherwise one could simply use the switch time to exploit the firing rate of a weapon. in other words, you can not switch to another weapon while the weapon is sitll cooling down from a shot (which is 1.5 secs for a railgun for example). otherwise one could for example fire a rail, inmediately change to any random weapon (+250 msec), change back to the rail (+250 msecs) and then shot antoher rail just in 500 msecs instead of 1.5 secs which is one of the biggest flaws of many modded games that are pretty much garbage (basically just randomly scrolling your wheelmouse while holding the primary mouse buttom gives you virtually "unlimited" firing power). all that stuff is same as vanilla with the only difference at UnFreeZe that the raise time for the railgun is shortned to 1 second instead of 1.5 for a more fair and dynamic defense after a rail shot.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

Oh okay, I was not aware of the difference between switch cooldown and raise time.

It seems that switch cooldown is 200ms.
So the time remaining of the reload cooldown of the weapon which we get rid is still running to the new weapon.
Like, from Rocket to Rail it's 1s (rocket 800ms + switch 200ms), and from Rail to Rocket it's 1200ms (rail 1000ms + switch 200ms).
https://imgur.com/Wwmk8l1

But when I try with weapons having low rate of fire, it becomes strange. I got ~250ms with plasma (100ms) and lightning (50ms).
https://imgur.com/9RDAj1M

So I'm not that sure.
It's maybe the time between the last shot and the switch, which could take me ~50ms.

Thank you for taking the time to explain 👍

EDIT: Yep, the remaining reload time is counted as raise time.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, that's actually right it takes a minimun of 1 second and 1.2 seconds (aprox actually I think it's 1050 msecs and 1250 respectively) for another weapon to be ready after a rocket or a rail respectively. and for the plasma and the lghtning is just the same, a minimun of 350 msecs and 300 msecs respectively for another weapon to be ready after being fired. once the weapon is ready the switch time is just regular 250 msecs regardless of the weapon. thing is that obviously as you can see we're talking about 50/100 msec differences here in most cases that's something that as you can guess is gonna be hard to capture/meassure just like that.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as I came across your videos now, I just remembered about this. yes, you're very sharp, as I migrated the servers these months and came across the code turns out that indeed the switch time is lowered slightly from 250 msec to 200 msec for a faster gameplay here which actually coincides exactly with your measurements.
Lunya
Unleveled User

Post by Lunya »

Thank you for the update!