Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2021.7 edition

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2021.7 edition

Post by adminless »

ok, guys just letting you know that finally this week I put together a new ioq3v6 UnFreeZe client v21.7 package containing all the new assets and mod changes added since the previous release number. without further redo the download links are as follow (as usual chose the link which works best for you they are all the same): this is pretty much the same package from weeks before but just renamed to a higher version number for consistence. after so much time (a year basically) since the previous version number and after many consistent mod changes/patches along the way I believe the version number change for the package was mandatory. likely the biggest difference from the previous version in addition to all the mod changes/patches is the addition of a whole new set of quality custom maps (i.e. the baltic/glacius2 assets) so as usual just for that reason alone it would be important that people get the whole thing so they don't miss out anything later on. additionally to promote those assets/baltic a new entire custom single player has been added in addition to the (regular glacius) previous custom one. as stated on the readme there you can switch from the different single players (if needed/want) just by parking the different single player pak files somewhere else as on the provided singleplayer folder for that purpose for example. as a bonus not reported anywhere else so far I also added some weeks ago a new cg_frozenfriendmark variable to the mod to set a different mark (with a value of 1, by the default is 0, that's it no change from previous behavior) for frozen teammate bodies which apparent lack of had cause some to entirely uninstall the game altogether right on the spot. in my opinion is just a meaningless change (ye, just a small improvement) but it's ok now that's added too.

ultimately notice that since some months I started to default to https for the downloads across the site as unfortunately by 2021 standards ftp is getting phased out from most mayor systems/browsers. also as some had complained about bandwidth for the downloads I started to default to the alternative "eu" route too. whatever the case is don't forget that the four connections (as posted on this thread) are always available for all the downloads across the site just in case someone doesn't work out for you at that moment. as far as I tested from a bunch of networks the recommended/best connectivity for downloads is always the ftp de one whenever possible though is true that under some circumstances/networks it may either not be available at all and/or had poor bandwidth. overall I felt like although sub-optimal probably the https eu connection is the best choice all around throughput/compatibility wise across the region then I guess that I'll just default to that until found/proven otherwise for the downloads. anyways, this time I just posted the four so give them a try and let me know if somebody else still have problems downloading.

as always the other 64 bits community based package has also been updated appropriately with the new assets changes (no version numbers there) so if I just patch a few things with the engine there and sort out/update the main forum documentation thread with more relevant info now that there's various packages/systems in the mid term I believe that should make it for the clients at least for this 2021 and part of 2022. as I've said from the beginning I'm not pretending this to be pinnacle of anything and I'm aware that some things could be done better (always be btw no matter what) but overall I think it turned out some solid gaming experience once put all together then as usual just download the whole thing, put your pak0.pk3 inside, run it and let me know if still missing something and/or if you have any issue.

have fun
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Re: Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2021.7 edition

Post by imprecise »

Hi Adminless

Thank you very much for this update and for all the work you do

regarding the x64 version would it be possible for you to make that I can open the console using the ² key rather than Shift + Esc that would be more practical and pleasant

thank you in advance
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I probably still have to patch a few things with the 64 bit ioquake3 build in the mid term but none of them includes the console. as stated previously the shift+esc combo is probably about the right (realistic) solution for that as is the only (obvious) consistent way to open up the console across all the different systems/localizations on where that package is gonna be run. anyways despite that I also even think that you might try to bind it yourself to something else on your cfg if necessary.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

ok, thanks Adminless for the explanations, I'll try to bind the console ...
uZu
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: uZu

Post by uZu »

@imprecise, unless things have changed since the last time i checked, this is the SDL code used in ioq3 which lead to this behaviour and thus disallow using the "power of 2" key to open the console. AFAIK, using an orig (pre-SDL) code is the only way to get this functionality.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

@uZu Thanks for the info

In my ioq3config.cfg file of the 64 bit version I find this for the console

bind ` "toggleconsole"
bind ~ "toggleconsole"
seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60"

Do you think it would be possible to do this?
(I don't have the 4 character code that corresponds to the ² key)

bind ² "toggleconsole"
seta cl_consoleKeys "² ____"

thank you in advance for your help
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

the toggleconsole bind is highly unlikely to work so may be try something like cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 0xc2b2" and see if you have more luck with that. a different approach (i.e. hack) to get a legacy keyboard on newer unicode builds is just set your keyboard map to US standard in windows and the console should open with the key bellow the esc (whatever it's on that particular keyboard layout). additionally if that key is too tricky I guess that you can perfectly try with another key (like some of the F ones) in case just doing shift+esc is so much inconvenient for you. anyways as you can see a total mess and why the shift+esc solution is the best approach.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

Adminless

after trying cl_consoleKeys "~` 0x7e 0x60 0xc2b2 "does not work with ² on my system

I would look at how I can do to switch the keyboard from FR to US and if it works...

Thanks again for your help
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

unlucky as I said, a mess, anyways btw by any chance cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 0xb2" does?
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

Hi Adminless

after trying cl_consoleKeys "~` 0x7e 0x60 0xb2 "works, I can now open and close the console with the ² key :clap:

A big THANK YOU for your help Adminless, the fact of opening and closing the console via the ² key makes me very happy, it will be really more practical and pleasant to me in the game :)

rate : ***** 5/5 satisfaction :thumbup:

PS : I saw that you had replaced your avatar on the forum by the Quake III logo, what a pity I liked to see your smiling and reassuring face ;)