what are your favorite maps?

UnFreeZe Game Servers Polls forum.

what are your favorite maps from the current rotation?

Poll ended at Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40

q3tourney1
No votes
q3tourney3
3%
q3dm2
3%
q3dm3
3%
q3dm5
No votes
q3dm4
3%
pro-q3tourney4
9%
pro-q3tourney2
9%
pro-q3dm13
6%
pro-q3dm6
24%
q3dm8
6%
q3dm7
18%
q3dm14
3%
q3dm11
9%
q3dm12
6%

Total votes: 34

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

what are your favorite maps?

Post by adminless »

hello here you can vote for your favorite maps from the rotation.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: what are your favorite maps?

Post by adminless »

again there's still not really enough votes here to be able to make any meaningful reading but well as a little autumn 2017 update I added a new "chain" category to the rotation with the current favs here to give them a small boost, though, note that this boost will be in the order of a few percents more chances of loading (on average) nothing dramatic.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hello guys

poll update with the addition of the new mini maps so please cast your vote again for the new year.

see you, have fun
pyron83
User lv3
User lv3

Post by pyron83 »

I miss some classic Quake Live Maps:

Almost Lost
Trinity
Hell's Gate Redux
Overkill
Asylum

but I assume those maps aren't in the standard Quake 3 package
Q3 Unfreeze nickname: {Y1X1}
_Nisa_
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: ^Princess

Post by _Nisa_ »

pyron83 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 I miss some classic Quake Live Maps:

Almost Lost
Trinity
Hell's Gate Redux
Overkill
Asylum

Yes, these. They are almost large enough for maybe 8v8 players. I also like pro-q3dm6, dm7 and pro-q3dm13, but they are only good enough for 4v4 or max 5v5.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe yes those are Quake Live exclusive maps (Asylum - a.k.a. qzca1, Trinity - a.k.a. qzca2 and Hell's Gate Redux - a.k.a. qztourney5/a.k.a. q3tourney3 ql remix) the other two you mention (Almost Lost - a.k.a. pro-q3tourney7 and Overkill) are already in the UnFreeZe2 at the moment 24/7 rotation. so yes the problem here is basically that, people don't have them and/or is not really interested in them (doesn't even really bother in trying) as you can see in UnFreeZe2 (24/7 custom maps = totally death server, average of 2 connections per day) which features already a rich set of custom maps so the thing is that even if I could add those here (in UnFreeZe2) the thing is that, for what? they are not going to work.

probably now that you brought this topic as far as I see I believe that most of us also have quakelive (I've got mine past Christmas for a few bucks in a sale and it even turned out that I didn't even need to buy it to host a server, huge wtf, I hate obscure commercial software, though I would be "blind" then, I couldn't even tested if so) or even if not we wouldn't bother getting it (absurdly, i.e. sales strategies to get people moving, is actually cheaper than Quake III Arena) so one of the things that has been running in my mind for some time is to make some sort of "port" of this UnFreeZe thing in quakelive. one idea that comes to my mind now as we speak is that probably the best use we can give to UnFreeZe2 by now is to "port" it into quakelive, I believe that I could start a basic server like that just to get started within a couple of hours since I'm already a successful cross-game sysadmin/designer and for the most part all my experience (of almost like a decade) in idtech3 based games (Quake III Arena engine derivatives) will carry over although the "only" problem there is that one it would "confuse"/divide the community and secondly my power (i.e. what I can actually do) would be much more restricted as i don't have full access to basically everything there (is closed sourced commercial software) so I couldn't mod/tuning it the way I do with the UnFreeZe servers we all love :D

one thing that catches my eye when I took a look at quakelive past Christmas is how "we" end up developing the same (or similar) things as seen in quakelive (and vice versa), although overall to me I would say this to be superior (in performance, i.e. the actual game) and the thing is that there's nothing I can do there to improve it. anyways is probably something that I'm gonna end up doing at some time or another may be not within this site so we'll see.

btw nisa that q3tourney3 ql remix is not specially big, I don't really see a 8vs8 happening there, that's just another medium size map (i.e. 4vs4 map).
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

they are not going to work.
I won't agree as I am only on UFZ-1 due to the fact that there are players and not because of the maps. One to three new maps here and there wouldn't change much on the player base, I guess and if you oppose that, why don't you use the same maps on UFZ-2?
newb.zi (stats · system)
_Nisa_
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: ^Princess

Post by _Nisa_ »

Is the allowdownload 0 in unfreeze servers?

If the setting was 1 for a limited time, maybe a few days, then even the lazy ones would get the maps they are missing. And the rest would have to do it themselves (and would have an incentive to do it). As it is now, people are so lazy that if there is a free slot in UFZ1 they go there, or wait for a slot to open, instead of downloading the missing maps and going to UFZ2. Why not offer them a helping hand?

I would prefer to see some medium/large maps in both servers and the number of player slots adjusted accordingly. Currently the 22 players limit is extremely high for all of the maps.

Why not have the same maps in rotation in both servers?

I personally prefer to play early in the day or very late in the night, because the number of players is lower and the maps are best for 4v4.

These are just my personal thoughts and everybody can freely disagree. As for freeze tag in quake live, well maybe worth a try, but my favorite mod is CA and to me QL is CA. Since there is no CA outside QL anymore, I play freeze tag which shares some of the feeling. But 11v11 in q3dm6 is not for me, I watch Netflix instead and wait for most of the players to disappear so I can play 4v4.
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

like map
dm17
t2
t2-pro
t3
dm16
t4-pro
dm6-pro
dm13-pro
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

cs_dust
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@tar yes I know and that's exactly why I only run standard maps on the main server, to keep a population so the server works, because you can trust me that even just by dropping a couple of custom maps here and there it will stop really working in the long run (it will probably end up turning the server into yet another meaningless average server not even in much time, probably a few months I would expect, as it happened with UnFreeZe2 that it killed it altogether in less than a month) as most people (probably +50% of the people) will end up fed up of being getting "randomly kicked" from game to game. the reason why both servers run different maps (at least this last month) is precisely that, to showcase the difference between one and the other and prove this point besides of course (unnecessarily because I know well that is not gonna happen) give the chance of getting a custom maps server going as people requested (which like I said ended up not working in reality). so, yeah, starting this week and seeing that that, after about a month the server finally absorbed the last hundred or so banned players loss and is getting overcrowded again I switched back UnFreeZe2 into the short version of the standard rotation at main times as usual from now on wards at least for now since I don't think that that's gonna be a problem anymore and it looks like the "best use" for that by now.

@nisa nop all that's "disabled" (in reality I actually removed it, it is not longer even there) as honestly I believe that nobody is gonna wait like 5 mins to get a couple of megabytes, it's almost 2020 not the early 2000's. to make it short all the downloads Quake 3 features and even related things (I'm well aware of all the mods and improvements already and all that stuff) are completely obsolete and a thing of the past, they are no more of any use, in fact, if we even take a look at how the game evolved on steam (i.e. quakelive) it's not big surprise that it precisely followed this same path and all of the game add-ons are now distributed off-game (via the steam workshop I think, you can just compare it to this forum) and all of the downloads code (both the legacy one as the modded one) got completely removed from the game. this is so even for security reasons as those kind of downloads are no longer "secure" by any "modern" (i.e. past 2010) standards as it means people doesn't even know what they are actually downloading in reality and therefor they are a ideal source to distribute malware (where's the antivirus for the stuff you're downloading?) or any other kind of bullshit (i.e. cheats for example), of course we all know that I'm a respectable admin and I'm not gonna do bad stuff like that (in fact I'm totally getting rid of this) but even so for legit uses they pose several complications like conflicts with other files, updates or previous versions (i.e. a total mess, meaning you can actually really break someone else game) besides all this become meaningless when cl_allowdownload is 0 (i.e. disabled) which is by default (and for good reasons) and which is what most people, in particular the ones that usually miss the files, have and not to mention that whoever know about the mods and other enhancements usually already have the maps or shouldn't have much trouble getting them. then bottom line here is clear is a thing of the users to particularly know what they are actually downloading and how they are actually installing it and not of the server, that was just a start up practice when the world wide web wasn't even something "common" already obsolete for more than a decade, in fact one of the purposes behind making that unfreeze full package was that, to also distribute the custom maps along it, unfortunately seemed to not help so far.

for the rest like I'm saying, lol, most of the maps you're saying are already the main and central ones of the current rotation and what's are not are for a reason (16, 17 are space rail only maps that doesn't work here for this game style, tried) and about the requested custom maps, thanks for the suggestions, if the custom maps version of UnFreeZe2 starts to go it's possible that I may add them there on the future for now I don't think that they are going to make any difference other than breaking the new package, we'll see, however like I said I believe that if we want to play custom maps probably the best option (the reality) would be to move UnFreeZe2 into quakelive where those maps are standard (probably cs_dust no but anyways most of them). by now I'll just leave it as is for some time.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=122

hello

well I finally decided to give a try to some custom maps on UnFreeZe1 and we'll see what happens since they weren't working on UnFreeZe2 and after almost like a year already it's quite evident that they weren't going to do it and I feel like the current load on UnFreeZe1 should be enough to support this so I'm not gonna add many changes but at least I dropped a low chance (2/3 times per day load expectation) overkill in the standard UnFreeZe1 rotation at the evenings starting tomorrow. in addition as a minor change reflecting the current voting I switched chances between q3dm11 and q3dm14 meaning now q3dm11 will be the favored over q3dm14 in the rotation (not any dramatic change just a little variation from time to time). it surprised me that contrary to my belief q3tourney3 has been actually well received haha I wouldn't have expected that in a million years, in other hand q3tourney1 didn't seem to be received very positively, well anyways neither of them are really relevant in the overall rotation, mostly just fun extra additions, so it's not that important simply commenting about.

that's it, like I said there, I put it there and then we'll see how it does (I mean as always, I believe that by now we should already know how this goes) so i won't correct the poll accordingly in some time until overkill doesn't really get "standardized".
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

just for the record

Almost Lost
Trinity
Hell's Gate Redux
Overkill
Asylum

I don't mean to be rude but let me highly doubt that if you didn't even have overkill installed you're going to have those (for not say that you don't have them installed for a fact) same with nisa, really, it's not acceptable when people request stuff for a public server they don't even have installed themselves, although at least let's be fair and say that in favor of nisa she hurried to install it.
tar wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50
they are not going to work.
I won't agree as I am only on UFZ-1 due to the fact that there are players and not because of the maps. One to three new maps here and there wouldn't change much on the player base, I guess and if you oppose that, why don't you use the same maps on UFZ-2?
well actually more than halving it as a matter of fact, going from 18 players to just barely 8 the bare minimum for that map, yes sure since this time it was new it got a few bonus connections after but don't count with that, that effect will go away quickly and soon that map instead of catching a few connections will start to lose them instead as generally custom maps bellow 16 players bore for this, so I mean I have a question for you all, is this really what you want? and I really mean it, I would really like to hear your statements, keep in mind that if this continues this will just go mining the community day after day one day and the next and the next and the next, as a matter of fact, almost like a hour after the server didn't recovered yet from this "crash" (this load is comparable as if I would have rebooted the server a hour before or even worse) many of that people simply went away and probably I can also tell that in not many time some won't even come back, people just don't put up with this kind of bullshit and crap (and is logical if server stops working at times they will stop coming), so you'll see.

ah and also for the record that was just loading overkill (the most popular and best know custom map) once let alone what if I would load some other fancy map, please, let's be realistic.
pyron83
User lv3
User lv3

Post by pyron83 »

adminless wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 20:53 just for the record

Almost Lost
Trinity
Hell's Gate Redux
Overkill
Asylum

I don't mean to be rude but let me highly doubt that if you didn't even have overkill installed your going to have those (for not say that you don't have them installed for a fact) same with nisa, really, it's not acceptable when people request stuff for a public server they don't even have installed themselves, although at least let's be fair and say that in favor of nisa she hurried to install it.
tar wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:50
mmm did I ever complain about this? O_o

I just read today that this map is required now, and I didn't have time before to download and install Overkill.

So I installed the map a few moments ago, but now I'm going out so I don't have time to play it ;)

And there is an important note: I was a Quake Live player so I had those maps installed by default, I didn't need to install them.

I switched to Q3 Unfreeze 1 year ago because now often I'm on Linux, and QL on Linux it's a no-no (only option is through Wine but it fucks mouse input).

and BTW I believe I'm one of the few players with alle the Unfreeze2 maps installed :D
Q3 Unfreeze nickname: {Y1X1}
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

then for what do you write about them if it's not with the real intention of add them immediately as we speak? furthermore I believe that you're answering yourself, first ensure that you have them yourself (that you don't and you know it, this is not ql) and then most importantly that they count with a strong implantation on the average public Quake III Arena player base which again is what is this server about not ql.