Few suggestions from an old player.

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

Few suggestions from an old player.

Post by UniX »

Hi everyone, I used to play this mod a lot when the game was new ca. 2000-2005 tryed various editions of it, ufreeze, original FT, Pr0 Mode FT etc etc. Was in an East Coast FT Clan called OtH.
One of few things I miss is insta unfreeze if you are in lava/void/poison. You lose 1 point ofc of you melt in lava or fall into void but you insta respawn and you can shoot teammates in void/lava instead of thawing them.
And please turn self damage ON as it will hamper the spam and leeroying into enemies with rocket/nade spam and you can crater and die ofc. Think it will raise the skill level a bit too 😉
And add some of the classic FT maps like Overkill to the std rotation as the old ones are gettin a bit worn. 😁
Thanx for your time dudes and dudettes.
UniX
Semisek48
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Few suggestions from an old player.

Post by Semisek48 »

Hi Unix... if someone would ask about MY opinion, than i think insta unfreeze if you are in lava/void/poison could attract trolls who will just jump in to the void over and over again, or shooting there enemy team frozen members.
About the self damage to me it is quite big change of the gamestyle players are used to... I agree that it might reduce the number of crazy rocket jumpers, and it probably will force players to play more carefully, but i think that good, accured rocket jumps can actually be wery usefull and "skill showing" (including a bit of defrag in the game cant be bad)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes semi answer is probably about the right one. yes, as you said things used to be like that by 2000-2005 but they changed for a reason, they ruined the game. as noted, people just abused jumping in lava/void to get free spawns every time they were low not to mention that thawing is part of the game in itself and therefor it should take some skill and not just randomly give thaws like that (by throwing bodies somewhere in the map). as for the rocket jump well that's part of the core of UnFreeZe and overall I have the feeling that the game would feel very limited/basic without it so it's not gonna be changed. ultimately you have the baltic server (80.208.225.202 / [2a02:7b40:50d0:e1ca::1]) 24/7 for a solid tier of custom maps you can even chose from (i.e. vote) as well as the regular glacius meetings Fridays and Sundays nights for the well known premium custom maps tier of course.
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

Post by UniX »

Well the only positive thing I can think of in regards to Self Damage OFF is its easier to break camped maps ... like DM7 and DM14 by rocket jumping like mad in to the camped area (RA Area) most of the time its used to leeroy into enemies with nades and as a get out of jail card.
Not sure I agree with you that the old stuff wasnt working but hey.. your server your rules.
My experience is however that most players care too much for their score to get a -1 by jumping into lava and the Trolls ... well they come anyways and try to be a nuisance.
Anyhoo.
Tnx.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

Can u imagine that madness with 11 vs 11 players with self damage? Rounds will take 30 secs ;)
UniX
User lv3
User lv3

Post by UniX »

Well you don't hurt teammates.. Only your self.
We used to have the larger space maps in rotation as well as rail only maps.. Quite fun but quite quick and a very slim possibility to get thawed.
Also spice things up with excessive FT on certain smaller maps but then you'll have to turn Self Dmg Off otherwise everyone will die in 10 sec flat 😁
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

...jutuli... wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:46 Can u imagine that madness with 11 vs 11 players with self damage? Rounds will take 30 secs ;)
If there was friendly fire in this mod it would be become unplayable lol. Would be fun if adminless turned it on once as an April's fools or something
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

UniX wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 Well you don't hurt teammates.. Only your self.
We used to have the larger space maps in rotation as well as rail only maps.. Quite fun but quite quick and a very slim possibility to get thawed.
Also spice things up with excessive FT on certain smaller maps but then you'll have to turn Self Dmg Off otherwise everyone will die in 10 sec flat 😁
If it was up to me I would add Overkill on rotation tomorrow, but adding custom maps can add problems, aswell as lower skilled players who rely on rocket being absolutely raped on Overkill
oKo*Magister
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: oKo*Magister

Post by oKo*Magister »

I would stay with Overkill on Glacius. I don't think this map is competetive to be on unfreeze. It would probably make people jump into the wrong place a lot and destroy ranking.
Edit: Way more than on dm14. Fortunately people learned more not to go there or not to get pushed into this so I think DM14 is cool.
It's all in the spirit of Aimbot. *Mankubus voice*