UnFreeZe league

UnFreeZe League 2021 History - ILM Clan Lineal Champions
Liza
User lv4
User lv4

Re: UnFreeZe league

Post by Liza »

Some words from me.

I hope that everybody enjoyed the tournament. We managed to collect 30+ players and more or less equalize the team strength. I believe that for most of the players it was their first opportunity to play competitively in the team for a long (7-week) period of time. Team games differ dramatically from public server games in terms of strategy and preparation. If 1 player makes a mistake and dies somewhere on the enemies territory, the opposite team receives very good chances to comfortably take the round. Mistakes and lack of preparation are punished. And we observed that quite often during the tournament. However, closer to the end team skills improved significantly.

Actually I consider team skills improvements to be the key element for the ILM ultimate championship. That improvement took place both because of their motivation and their hard route till the final. They started the tournament by a loss. They lost group match to Russians hard. When they received an opportunity to take 2nd place in the Group by winning 2-0 against OKO not only they failed to do this but were close to loose first two games. Then they had a very hard semifinal. The route to the final was really not easy, but all these difficulties made them stronger and better prepared. On the other hand, team Russia led by strong individual players with previous team games experience had a brilliant start setting the initial standard of team play for the other teams. The route was easy for them making their preparation for the games reluctant and them to feel overconfident. If they had watched the semifinal ILM games, they would have been much better prepared to the strategy on overkill and dm7. But that is how sports work. To win you should have higher motivation, better communication, proper tactics (constantly reconsidering it) and luck rather than just rely on previous tactics and individual skills. Congratulations to ILM on that.

Considering “jumping to lava” tactics. I feel that these strategies should be either prohibited or penalized. I feel that 7-8 suicides (not 15) should be the limit. In the same time I do not think that penalization team Russia for future events is a good idea. We are not even sure that they will play with the same players or even that the tournament will be held in the foreseeable future. But that penalty has a negative impact on our relationship with them. Without them the tournament would have been less interesting. I did not see any intent from team Russia to bypass the rules. And there are no grounds to anticipate that they will try to bypass the rules somewhere in the future. Actually I find the warning on the forum to be not so clear formulated and not properly communicated to the teams. Simply adding a rule could be enough to fix the ‘lava’ problem.

As for other similar strategies (like jumping into void or chasing opponents with gauntlet until they kill you) I find these to add complexity to the game and thus they are ok. If done at the wrong time these strategies could benefit opponents.

New tournament perspectives. The tournament was 7-weeks long and requires a lot of efforts for preparation at the cost of working/family time. I feel that half of the players are too tired to enter another tournament right now. Summer is also not a good time for such commitment. And finally I am tired of organization too. So until October I do not feel enough motivation to hold something similar once again. If someone wants to try to organize something in the summer, I would recommend some short-term 3-vs-3 games (3+1, 1 on bench) that could be finished within 2-3 weeks.

P.S. .WTF!Porsche suggested to award reigning champions by adding a golden star before their nick names. Might be a good idea.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

in my opinion to limit it to just 7-8 occurrences I'd rather just patch it following one of the options already posted/discussed (or similar). as said, in my opinion I believe the best approach by now is to start with that limit (15 suicides on a map forced or not led to a map loss) and then depending on the circumstances adjust it as necessary (lower it/patch it/penalize it etc etc) rather than just go straight for the patch (solution). there has been various 7-8 suicides games on the league that actually worked good and that weren't a issue so I think that's the best approach by now always making clear of course that that's merely tolerated as a secondary strategy/part of the game to some extend and that the abuse of it may led to penalization (map loss if 15 or more occurrences to begin with).

about the Sbornaya, I don't think a (on your own words) experienced and number one ranked team at that moment needs to be told the difference between the lemmings and Quake III Arena if not the opposite. as I said yes I'm aware they probably meant no wrong, they simply got screwed, but definitively it was a unfortunate and unnecessary/uncalled way to end the match that definitively won't help them improve their relationship with us on their end either, don't forget that things go both ways my friend. as I said if it were from a friendly unranked team that just couldn't do any better to a lesser extend I could understand but clearly not in this context and form such a team. well you say it wasn't that clear (which I disagree, it was discussed and made clear enough. it's none of my business to communicate/notify anything to the teams [nor yours btw I'm not making you responsible of absolutely anything here either], I'm nobodies secretary so that's not a valid argument. I'm only responsible that the site is available and functional and discuss this stuff here in public so everybody knows, it's then the exclusive teams responsibility to stay in touch/update with what's going on) then a penalization will sure make it clear enough now so the penalization will stay. anyways as you said we can't tell how this will all unfold the next time if it's that there's a next time (depending on the format, teams and all that it might not even end up applying) besides a -1 point penalization is nothing dramatic so I don't even think is such a big deal.

yes of course, normal I totally understand/am aware of that (which is why I just don't do it), as I said it was already a unbelievable feat that you managed to pull all this off and complete everything even in time so don't worry that it's not like I'm expecting you and/or demanding you to do anything else. you definitively beat more than the expectation on that. so sure feel free to organize here anything else you (and/or anybody else) want but just make one thing clear before this even started again, next time I won't act as the defacto commission, I'll be the commission for a fact so I'll be the one responsible and in charge of the competition format/ruling and similar things and you'll limit to your role of promoter/human resources logistics (i.e. scheduling the fights/teams, recruiting etc) which at the end of the day it's how this ultimately ended up defacto functioning, I repeat, if you want of course. quite frankly I believe both of us have enough stuff to do as to waste our time antagonizing/opposing us for no good/random reasons so that's how it will be.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Liza wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 Some words from me.

Considering “jumping to lava” tactics. I feel that these strategies should be either prohibited or penalized. I feel that 7-8 suicides (not 15) should be the limit. In the same time I do not think that penalization team Russia for future events is a good idea. We are not even sure that they will play with the same players or even that the tournament will be held in the foreseeable future. But that penalty has a negative impact on our relationship with them. Without them the tournament would have been less interesting. I did not see any intent from team Russia to bypass the rules. And there are no grounds to anticipate that they will try to bypass the rules somewhere in the future. Actually I find the warning on the forum to be not so clear formulated and not properly communicated to the teams. Simply adding a rule could be enough to fix the ‘lava’ problem.

As for other similar strategies (like jumping into void or chasing opponents with gauntlet until they kill you) I find these to add complexity to the game and thus they are ok. If done at the wrong time these strategies could benefit opponents.

Just to get you back to reality , penalize what? A skilled tactic that has been part of the game for thirty years?

Another back to reality ? Nastia and dii been playing on and off the server long time , you won't see them much if you don't play much

You organized this well with admin and better stick to that and reality lol

Apart from that well done Liza :crazy: