what are your favorite baltic custom maps?

UnFreeZe Game Servers Polls forum.

Poll ended at Tue May 24, 2022 22:37

6++
100%
pro-nodm9
No votes
qfraggel2a
No votes
nodm13
No votes
ts_dm5tmp
No votes
q3shw14
No votes
teddm1
No votes
jaxdm8
No votes
69pickup1
No votes
reqdm5
No votes
mrcq3t3
No votes
storm3tourney1
No votes
auh3dm1
No votes
jof3dm2
No votes
q3shw19
No votes
vdamaged
No votes
charon3dm10
No votes
wdw3team1
No votes

Total votes: 1

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

ok following the introduction of a second set of custom maps for the baltic server (aka glacius2) I also create a new poll here so you can vote for your favorites. as usual with the polls here is not like because a map gets voted is gonna be promoted and/or because a map doesn't get voted is gonna be removed just like that. I make those kind of decisions based on more things/factors than just the results of a particular poll at a random page. that being said when in doubt and in general I always try to ultimately follow the general trend of the polls so don't waste your chances to influence what can end up being played in the future.

in my opinion this new baltic rotation ultimately turned out pretty good (i.e. better than expected/usable) so I'm really excited to see how it ends up doing in the long run. basically 16 maps (12 of them new) has been added structured in four tiers of four maps each. the first tier (6++, qfraggel2a, ts_dm5tmp, pro-nodm9) is essentially the glacius unused tier, that's it, those extra maps form the original package that for some reasons or another (ex. pro-nodm9 is pretty much pro-q3dm13 so it makes no sense to drop it to add "new" maps for a "new" server) didn't finally make it to glacius but now is a perfect opportunity to also add them here. the second tier (69pickup1, reqdm5, mrcq3t3, nodm13) is essentially the glacius bonus tier, these are also glacius quality grade maps that simply didn't make it to the original package as said other times as is just not possible (i.e. makes no sense) to add absolutely everything just like that however as with the previous now it's a perfect opportunity to add these. matter of fact, even depending on how some of those tier may end up doing it they could even be considered to be promoted to glacius and/or even some competition. the third tier (q3shw14, teddm1, jaxdm8, storm3tourney1) is essentially the (garbage) community tier, these are pretty much those random ugly shit maps that were missing from the original package but some people still requested the most. they are pretty much ages old ugly brain death simple absurdly oversized maps, I mean, for some 20+ players deathmatch fragfest they could may be even be a blast but for UnFreeZe they are just that, total garbage, at least in the context of the "average" game. anyways I guess that nostalgia/memories kicks in for some so just added to complete the set and pretty much just that, per popular request/vote. the fourth final tier (auh3dm1, jof3dm2, q3shw19, vdamaged) is essentially the admin tier (i.e. my personal choices of bonus "unknown", less known, custom maps), if I were ever to also create some maps it would be something like that. these are some dense architecturally complex maps but that still play and navigate fluently, in my opinion, they are very good probably not so much for UnFreeZe (to some extend hence why they never have been so popular) but some of them could even make first choices for a inside fpsclasico tournament. definitively a very interesting tier not to miss at all specially considering that the current expected load at baltic isn't gonna be "huge".

ok, so that's it as said check it and let me know/vote how you see the new additions and the overall current rotation at baltic after all I must say I'm satisfied with the result, I think it's worthy of the glacius2 alias and a new/independent original server. finally as usual you have all the maps on the rotation available for download at the forum files tab as well as already added to the well know official packages (both of them the 32 and the 64 bits ones) and even created a small mappack you can download here for convenience just in case someone only needs/wants the maps.

have fun
orgi69
User lv3
User lv3

Re: what are your favorite baltic custom maps?

Post by orgi69 »

There will be a new rule: What happens on "69pickup1" - stays on "69pickup1" 8-)
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

I don't even know the names of the maps haha.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

What I have to say.
A lot of those maps have boring layouts, not much happening in them, to me vdamaged and q3shw19 are the best out of the "weird maps". Haven't played q3fraggel2a but looks very good. 6++ is better than pro-q3dm6 but I would suggest discussing "q3dm6remix" as an alternative because 1) it doesn't look like shit 2) the changes made actually make sense and is a very balanced map, areas are a bit less cramped than regular dm6 and there is no ridiculously large area like the rail side or the "back hallway" on 6++
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

I know as I said some of them are kind of "garbage tier" (i.e. at least for usual 4vs4|8vs8 freeze games) just added per popular request/vote "just in case" (i.e. it won't hurt having them there for a eventual game here and there) and probably it doesn't have any further interest beyond that although probably there are other there (yes like q3shw19 for example among others) that can even be of interest for the main glacius tier/single player. from what I have reviewed so far I believe that probably we can promote one or two of the best picks here and demote ts_dm5tmp almost with total certainty to that "garbage tier" which quite frankly seems a lot more fitting there than as a "main" choice (even if really unused). as for adding even more dm6 remixes, it makes no sense, I believe when people request new maps they request new original content not just the same old stuff with a few extra stairs/tunnels/teleports and larger spaces. I mean I believe there's already enough remixes on the package as to add even more beside we're not gonna start scheduling pro-q3dm6, q3dm6remix, 6+, 6++ and bloodcovenant as tie-breaker fights, hell no.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

Ok yeah I get it too many dm6. I remember when we were choosing maps as tie breaker against Community A we ended up in a situation where we had to choose between 3 variants of dm6. But I still think dm6remix is better than 6++