dm14 unpopular map

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

dm14 unpopular map

Post by nickaero »

It seems a lot of players have voiced their displeasure about dm14, Grim dungeons or "Jesus Map". The Map is too cramped and full of choke points which doesn't suit the unfreeze game mode, especially with a full server. Would it be possible to relace it in the map pool with another, for example dm18? Maybe dm18 is too small to play with full server but it seemed quite fun the last time I played there. Looking forward to hear you guys' opinion
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Re: dm14 unpopular map

Post by fau »

I think generally large maps we've got are not so great. Imo dm11 is even worse. I like dm7 the most - there are many rooms where fights take place and each area has 3 or 4 exits so it's not just constant spam. On dm11 you spend 90% of time either spamming doors or railing along the long corridor. On dm14 it's either doors or fighting in a single dungeon room. I think dm14 is just too small for 10v10 - I prefer it for 8-12 players.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

I agree with what you said. in dm11 you spend so much time looking for players and it can be quite rail intensive. In dm14 it's just spam fest. Also agree that dm7 is the best map for this game mode, the choke points aren't too severe and all the rooms are interesting to fight in.
What do you think of dm18 tho? Imo the classical maps are just too cramped and are too hallway/ choke intensive for the game mode. This is why everyone loves dm6
Semisek48
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Semisek48 »

I used to dislike both maps dm11 and dm14, but now i acually quite enjoy playing dm11 most of the time, although I must agree that it is not the most optimal map type for unfreeze. (bit better now with only 10 granades for spawn) But I adapted.
Dm14 is still for me like... eee... i dont know...
Semisek48
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Semisek48 »

No, sorry, opposite. I like dm14 but no dm11 :D My bad.
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

Damn I am the opposite, I don't mind dm11 but dm14 is torture. If you would make some of the rooms and hallways a bit bigger, and get rid of the void it would be so much more fun
aimer
User lv4
User lv4

Post by aimer »

maybe could give dm15 a try? 🙃
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

This never ends. Ppl wanted other maps when just unfreeze1 was on, so unfreeze2 started. Then Glacius, Spacius, Glacius again... How many servers should be on? Nothing ever satisfy all.... Think admin will be happy by this thread :)
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

...jutuli... wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 18:09 This never ends. Ppl wanted other maps when just unfreeze1 was on, so unfreeze2 started. Then Glacius, Spacius, Glacius again... How many servers should be on? Nothing ever satisfy all.... Think admin will be happy by this thread :)

Ok I guess that's a reasonable awnser can't satisfy everyone's tastes
i_cezar
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Blaze

Post by i_cezar »

Well i share somehow your views nick, i'm not specially fond of dm14. You either go by the main areas separating door(i'm surprised the door still works after so much nade/rocket spam, props to the company that made it) or by catacoms which is a rocket heavy area and get nuked(hard to dodge while pushing). But i learned that many players on this server play rockets as their main weapon and dm14 is their "place of revenge" if you wish, a good map for them to score higher and feel good fragging everyone, if they master the rockets after all. Also they ussualy play a rush/catch of guard style which is rewarded here. It was nice to have the number of nades lowered, before it was a mess. If we all were the same, we would have maybe dm14 iterate not so often(now its like 1/3, sometimes even every other map) or put it in a lesser number of players range as fau sugested. And if we were all the same, maybe promote dm6 to iterate more often and at higher number of players(maybe 1 iteration every ~6 games) as you can play rockets there too(almost all of ground level area). I noticed many of the rocket heavy and rush style players get good scores there too. For now i adapted and have 3 options, which is ok: either switch to freefun server that is crowded now, stay on dm14 and try to play hit and run/stay in main areas, or go trough catacombs and turtle push(last 2 options mean lower score most of the times). If we were all the same i said what i would do, but we are not and everyone should have fun, from a 3rd person pov. A vote would be nice, but not all players are here. And adminless i feel is cautious because he already got his cold shower with the dm12 experiment. That is why i think a dm6 promotion, dm14 depromotion may be an valid option, if feasible.What you say nickaero its ok for me but what about the others.. And yes i have seen more than few people complain in game.
P.S. sorry for the long post😅
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

long story short with dm14 is I know it's not a fav but it's always better to have it for some variation than is to remove it otherwise we would pretty much end up doing just that play pro-q3dm6 24/7 and then may be some q3dm7 too which would be even lot worse than is to have q3dm14 from time to time. as jutuli said there's two top main UnFreeZe servers, is not most of the time that they run the same map so you generally have some choice there besides q3dm18 runs at spacius (when the circumstances call for it and btw people hate it) and q3dm15 at the training1 (regular training) server as well as there's also a interesting ctf server with games usually going daily. as for loading pro-q3dm6 at even higher loads unfortunately I don't see it feasible as pro-q3dm6 is virtually unplayable for server full/near full (i.e. a button smasher).
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

adminless wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 22:09 long story short with dm14 is I know it's not a fav but it's always better to have it for some variation than is to remove it otherwise we would pretty much end up doing just that play pro-q3dm6 24/7 and then may be some q3dm7 too which would be even lot worse than is to have q3dm14 from time to time. as jutuli said there's two top main UnFreeZe servers, is not most of the time that they run the same map so you generally have some choice there besides q3dm18 runs at spacius (when the circumstances call for it and btw people hate it) and q3dm15 at the training1 (regular training) server as well as there's also a interesting ctf server with games usually going daily. as for loading pro-q3dm6 at even higher loads unfortunately I don't see it feasible as pro-q3dm6 is virtually unplayable for server full/near full (i.e. a button smasher).

Must be another map we can add?

Or some crazy small map where we carnage for five ten mins lol

With admin right smack bang in the middle!
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

I just feel dm14 is not good for largest games (8v8+), but there aren't many alternatives. This is why I usually prefer to play smaller games on freefun and maybe it's best if it stays this way, considering we can't use custom maps. To each his own. But recently freefun is often 22/22 too - prize of popularity, eh?
nickaero
User lv4
User lv4

Post by nickaero »

adminless wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 22:09 long story short with dm14 is I know it's not a fav but it's always better to have it for some variation than is to remove it otherwise we would pretty much end up doing just that play pro-q3dm6 24/7 and then may be some q3dm7 too which would be even lot worse than is to have q3dm14 from time to time. as jutuli said there's two top main UnFreeZe servers, is not most of the time that they run the same map so you generally have some choice there besides q3dm18 runs at spacius (when the circumstances call for it and btw people hate it) and q3dm15 at the training1 (regular training) server as well as there's also a interesting ctf server with games usually going daily. as for loading pro-q3dm6 at even higher loads unfortunately I don't see it feasible as pro-q3dm6 is virtually unplayable for server full/near full (i.e. a button smasher).
I didn't know people hated dm18, that's a shame, I guess our hands are tied then. vQ3 doesn't have that many maps, and fewer than those are good for the unfreeze game mode
Liza
User lv4
User lv4

Post by Liza »

I absolutely support the curent map choice and rotation. In my view, most people like dm7 and dm11 (my favourite). DM14 is less popular, some players switch server when they see DM14. However, there are no better maps for crowded games. And playing with 2 maps is boring.

In my view DM14 is a little unbalanced when you respawn, playing near red armor area is much easier. The opposite team needs to coordinate attack to make it simultaniously from several entrances. And half of the players are not good at coordinating their actions with teammates. Plus, a lot of grenades spamming takes place at the beginning of the round.
i_cezar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 20:14 But i learned that many players on this server play rockets as their main weapon and dm14 is their "place of revenge" if you wish, a good map for them to score higher and feel good fragging everyone, if they master the rockets
I don't see any advantages for those who prefer rocket (as I do) in comparison with dm7/dm11/dm6. DM18 is definetly bad for rocket.

DM6, if crowded, is boring. The teams just score one after another with no chances for a break (in tennis terminology).
DM18 will ruin the stat on main servers.
DM15 is OK for FFA. DM 12 used to be played - people didn't like it.
i_cezar wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 20:14 And adminless i feel is cautious because he already got his cold shower with the dm12 experiment.
Adminless has a good understanding of the game. I remember I made some suggestions on the glacius map lists. After I learned glacius maps and more or less know how to play there, I can say that most of his decisions/views were correct.