Teamoverlay not working

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
hurrenson

Teamoverlay not working

Post by hurrenson »

As the Topic states -> teamoverlay doesn't work on both unfreeze servers since today i guess. Don't know if it's for all players, but i got at least some confirmations from others.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Teamoverlay not working

Post by adminless »

hello

yes I know I changed the teamoverlay behavior in a server patch yesterday and I was busy pushing server patches and didn't stop here to notify about the change, my apologizes about that.

it looks like the teamoverlay behavior on the default Quake 3 Arena was inconsistent so I patched it for a better utilization of the server. anyways, in short, I know that you're a frequent player here (thank you about that btw :D ) so I guess that you'll be using the custom UnFreeZe client gamemod I provide, if that's the case all you have to do is just update (as always redownload and replace) your unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3 file with the one I've just pushed now and you're good to go (note: remember that that's a upgrade over the base unfreeze-v1.0-client.zip file, just in case someone still doesn't know).

if you're not using the provided mod and you're instead using another mod, no mod or just your very own custom mod you can still enable the teamoverlay with the following commands:

Code: Select all

\setu teamoverlay2 ""
\cg_drawteamoverlay 1
\teamoverlay2 1
I believe that you should already know how to script/bind that in case you need it or want. hope that fixes your issue let me know in case you have further problems.

have fun
hurrenson

Post by hurrenson »

That worked, thanks.

Btw I'm semi modless. UNfreeze mod messes up my hud. It is off in y axis, which is somewhat annoying regarding crosshair/aim. Putting the pk3s in the standard baseq3 directory gives me at least green/yellow models. I assume the problem is on my end -> linux/ioquake or my config who knows, I'm too lazy to find out.

ps: Thanks for the servers and the effort you put in the project.
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

adminless wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 22:27

if you're not using the provided mod and you're instead using another mod, no mod or just your very own custom mod you can still enable the teamoverlay with the following commands:

\setu teamoverlay2 ""
\cg_drawteamoverlay 1
\teamoverlay2 1
I believe that you should already know how to script/bind that in case you need it or want. hope that fixes your issue let me know in case you have further problems.

Apparently I'm dumb and can't get it to work. How did you script this? Because it looks like you're just executing cg_drawteamoverlay 1 as a variable. Which makes me wonder why that works but typing cg_drawteamoverlay 1 in the console doesn't?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

backslashes are for commands/assignments in the console, commands/assignments in cfg files doesn't have a leading backslash, so just copy the code you quoted in a cfg file (ex. teamoverlay2.cfg) without the leading backslashes and place it in your baseq3/unfreeze folder and then exec it in game (ex. \exec teamoverlay2) or if you prefer bind it (ex. \bind o "exec teamoverlay2") to some key and after that just press that key (ex. press the "o" key in your keyboard) to activate it any time you want (i.e. anytime you reconnect).

attached you have a sample teamoverlay2.cfg file for reference. ok hope that helps let me know in case you encounter more problems.

see you

PS: btw remember that this method only applies if you're not using the UnFreeZe Client gamemod, the UnFreeZe Client gamemod already handles this appropriately
Attachments
teamoverlay2.cfg
(56 Bytes) Downloaded 82 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hurrenson wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 0:07 That worked, thanks.

Btw I'm semi modless. UNfreeze mod messes up my hud. It is off in y axis, which is somewhat annoying regarding crosshair/aim. Putting the pk3s in the standard baseq3 directory gives me at least green/yellow models. I assume the problem is on my end -> linux/ioquake or my config who knows, I'm too lazy to find out.

ps: Thanks for the servers and the effort you put in the project.
man that sounds ugly, well let's see if I can help, as you can understand is impossible for me to test every single engine and settings, therefor I basically test all this against original idSoftware Quake 3 and settings and then is "expected" (it should, in theory) work on the rest of the things. there's another user with similar settings here reporting this (the client gamemod) to work appropriately so most likely the problem is on your cfg may be cg_crosshairy ???

anyways since you brought the topic I made a small break at the server patching work to push off a custom personally tested ioQuake3 engine build based on revision 1142 that I know that it's already a bit old but trust me on this, I know well that that is the last "good" version that I can really trust that it will keep that old school look and feel that we all love :D

so if you feel like it you can give a shot at this binary: ioquake3.i686

that's some 32 bits generic ioQuake3 1.33 linux build fully working and personally tested by me (I mean, I played a couple of games, didn't properly bench test the thing but hey I think that at this point is fair to assume that it's fully working). ok, now you're saying that you're already using linux and ioQuake3 so in what follow I'll assume that you have a fair degree of technical knowledge and experience in linux so I won't explain all this in detail, I'll just point a couple of things for you to get going (if you need help with something in particular I can help you with something in particular but I'm not gonna make of this a linux how-to).

basically that's the closest thing to original idSoftware Quake 3 (not really being orignal idSoftware Quake 3) that you're gonna find so it just works like it which means that it still uses those old direct access input/output routines the original idSoftware Quake 3 used (oss/X11), then if you ever got that working you're good to go, this one should work the same :D

however for some reason I suspect that is not the case, so basically (well first I'm a redhat derivatives user, if you're a debian derivatives, very probable, user then translate, I'm going to write about redhat derivatives) what you need to get this working is to load your oss kernel drivers and give that executable direct access to them and obviously have installed all it's library dependencies.

to load your kernel oss drivers modprobe them or you can just create a /etc/modules-load.d/snd-oss.conf file with the values bellow to get them to load at boot time:

snd-pcm-oss
snd-mixer-oss
snd-seq-oss
now to give direct access to a executable to this driver just set this value:

echo "ioquake3.i386 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/oss
it's important to note what /dev/dspX you actually have on your system (as well as sound cards for the above command) because that's the one that you need to set in your \snddevice /dev/dspX variable in Quake 3 for it to open the right device, that's important and in this case since the command above write card1 is /dev/dsp1 not standard /dev/dsp.

ok finally the dependencies can be installed just by:

yum install glibc.i686 libX11.i686 libXext.i686 libXxf86dga.i686 libXxf86vm.i686 libxcb.i686 libXau.i686
after all not really that hard but well hey I understand if all this is too fancy for you and you just prefer to stick to newer or other ioQuake 3 builds which have a better linux integration, it's ok, all this is just optional.

btw if some one is interested I also pushed some good windows builds of this, awesome, I'll made a announcement now :D but so far if someone wants I actually targeted three different cpusets in windows, there's a generic (fail-safe) build and then there's a intel and a amd optimized builds for each cpu manufacturer respectively. I've just tested them before (same, some games) in a Windows 10 pro laptop with all updates and they were working great. so check them out, for windows all that is need to do is just download and double click on them (ok, put them in a appropriate place, next to your quake3.exe and accept any unsigned software related warnings):

ioQuake3 1.33 Windows 32 bits generic build: ioquake3.i386.exe
ioQuake3 1.33 Windows 32 bits amd optimized build: ioquake3-amd.i386.exe
ioQuake3 1.33 Windows 32 bits intel optimized build: ioquake3-intel.i386.exe

done! :D

disclaimer: this software is covered by a GPL license and is provided as is without any kind of warranty.
source codes: ftp://ftp.fpsclasico.de/ioquake3/source/
hurrenson

Post by hurrenson »

Well i followed most of your suggestions. Turns out snd-seq-oss module isn't provided anymore by debian (you were correct assuming I'm running something debian-ish). But it didn't matter, sound wasn't the problem to solve.
So i ran the file you provided and same thing. Hud elements off in y axis. I then made sure to run it in a clean environment. Without any cfg and unnecessary pk3. Therefore it startet with super low res 640/480 or whatever. And it looked fine. Then using higher res it didn't. The problem is the aspect ratio. I'm running the game usually on an older secondary monitor @ 1280*1024 which is 5:4. I assume your mod has issues regarding this aspect ratio? Now i use

r_customwidth 1280
r_customheight 960
r_mode -1
to get a 4:3 ratio and it works fine.

Sorry to make you write a whole novel when the problem was quite trivial in the end. Although it would be nice if the mod worked 100% with 5:4 ratio :D
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

correct you're right, at 5:4 resolutions the crosshair is off at the Y axis. weird thing because those are not so rare settings, I mean 1280x1024 is a well know resolution of good old school crt monitors I had tested, however it seems that it broke at some point (yeah, most likely when I was testing it I had some cg_crosshairy value that I overlooked). so thank you for report I'll patch the gamemod/engine for that in some days for now if you just want it to work right now I just found that the command bellow should fix the crosshair display for you with the gamemod:

\cg_crosshairy -15
however regarding the hub, the display was correct, I mean the framed hud is intended to preserve the correct original 4:3 display, so squares keep being squares (not rectangles) and circles keep being circles (not ellipses), the other option when the hud covers the whole 1280x1024 things (letters included) are streached instead (not displaced, you can measure it yourself). to be honest I know that at first looks weird but I believe that after five minutes everything makes much more sense (if fact now when it feels really weird is when I play stretched instead). anyways I'll understand if that's too heavy of a change for you, another alternative is what you put run the game in a 4:3 resolution. ok, bellow I attach you a couple of the framed huds for reference (wide 16:9 and your square 5:4).

btw regarding the sound thing I don't really remember if snd-seq-oss is strictly required (may be yes may be not, all I know is that it comes with the oss thing in fedora), the thing is that apparently according to this debian SoundFAQ something like the commands bellow should get you started with the thing:

apt-get install alsa-oss
modprobe snd_pcm_oss
modprobe snd_mixer_oss
if after that you have some /dev/dsp something and some /proc/asound/card<something>/pcm0p/oss then you're good to direct assigning it (previous post command) and go. anyways just saying.

see you
Attachments
wide.jpg
cg_crosshairy.jpg
marsupilami

Post by marsupilami »

hello, i can not manage to work teamoverlay on my config. seta teamoverlay2 is not recognized and accepted. I put teamoverlay2.cfg in my folder unfreeze and I wrote exec teamoverlay2 in the console in game, but nothing appears ... This is a bit disagreeable to play in team. I do not know what to do to make it work. thank you in advance for your help
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hello,

i have the same issues. overlay is not working anymore. i dont use unfreeze mod. it seems q3 automatically chooses osp mod which i am fine with when i play on the unfreeze server.
it says the teamoverlay command is read only so i cannot change it. any ideas?

i would appreciate any help.

best regards,
Last edited by fernandinho1337 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

lol that was already answered in the second post viewtopic.php?f=17&p=66#p54
explicitly asked in the fourth one: viewtopic.php?f=17&p=66#p57
and again explicitly answered in the fifth one: viewtopic.php?f=17&p=66#p58

mam, the specified commands should solve your issue which in particular they write about teamoverlay2 (not standard teamoverlay as you wrote).

hope that helps, see you
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

i read that. still does not work. i wonder if it interferes with osp :-/
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I don't think so, did you try downloading and execing the cfg I posted in the fifth post? that should work straight away.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

i deleted my q3config.cfg files and reset everything and tried your config again. now it works. but the teamoverlay pops up on top right. is it possible to put it on bottom (right)?

thanks in advance.

best regards,
Last edited by fernandinho1337 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

sure, just do \cg_drawteamoverlay 1, 2 or 3 for top right, bottom right and bottom left respectively instead (the cfg was for cg_drawteamoverlay 1 which seems to be the "norm" you can just edit it was simply a sample for reference)