Server browser

User's Guides & Help forum.
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Server browser

Post by fau »

Do you know any good q3a server browser for windows? I used to play on linux and there is excellent xqf browser, but I can't anything but abandonware on windows.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Server browser

Post by adminless »

I haven't used any of these but as far as I know I think that the only options left running you probably have are qtracker and hlsw. in addition there's still on-line q3 server lists you may want to check for reference as well as the master, other and servers forum tabs for the inside fpsclasico servers of course.
fau
User lv4
User lv4

Post by fau »

I remember using hlsw back in the days. Looks good, thanks.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Admin dude

Am I right in saying your servers don't rely on Q3 master servers? Just wondering how it works , I remember the old message of no response from master servers etc and thought maybe that was controlled by id

Just for understanding how it works
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes you right, the provided client does no rely on the id (or any other) master servers, matter of fact, past month or so the id master server was down for around a day and although there was some player loss (a 25% may be) that didn't even prevent the servers from getting almost as full as usual. the servers still broadcast to the id master server for compatibility though but the provided client only queries the inside master.fpsclasico.de master server which, in addition to be ipv6 capable, has far superior latency and is guarantee to be up as long as the servers are up/the project remain alive of course. so in addition to run the game servers you all play at I also run a master server here which is what feeds the in-game browser of the provided client. essentially, beside of the original copyrighted Quake III Arena assets on the pak0.pk3 file people still need to purchase to be able to play the game, this is the whole thing, it doesn't depend on anything else.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@fau btw about the topic here as I was decommissioning a old backup hard disk I just came across and remembered the monster browser that apparently I did use back in the days on windows and that it even looks like it's still active/functional +10 years later. you can check it out here if you're still interested. that's probably the closest thing to xqf on windows and probably the best answer/suggestion to your question as of now.