Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

server randomization

Post by imprecise »

hi Adminless, hi everyone,

is it possible to take all the players present on the unfreeze server for example and to force them to migrate to another server like glacius or ctf or training ...

the idea is that with each new game we end up on a different server to support the abandoned servers ...

it will surely not please everyone but if possible it could be fun to try and it would have the advantage of varying the pleasures a bit ...
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Re: server randomization

Post by ...jutuli... »

I dont like to be shifted up randomly all over the world ;) I can be ported to China then and not be able to return back...
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

agree jutuli. first of all is not even really exactly technically possible to live migrate players from server to server just like that and second, and probably most important, even if I could do that (to some extend) in some ways (I probably could) I don't even think that you have the right (in a fair way to speak) to treat (kinda cheat) your players just like that and probably nobody (most) won't even put up with that. like I generally say, I think it's probably best to not take your players as dummies/idiots that can't get anything done by themselves. if the UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/masters servers are all full/busy while the rest are empty (ex. glacius) may be it's for an actual reason (as I explained several times).

during the corona outbreak one thing I considered and that I was very close to add was some sort of load balancing (which is kind of a similar but different thing) but it didn't end up materializing. it may be possible that eventually at some time or another I end up adding one such load balanced address or some of that sort but to be honest at the moment it doesn't seem worth the effort/cost. anyways, like I said, that's a different thing from taking players from a server to another (which in my opinion is no good) and it's probably more for fun and yet even another extra feature than anything else.

as we speak it's not like the servers are overloaded or anything (which they never were btw not even during the worst corona spikes) and the load seems adequately spread. glacius is death, well yes, but that's exactly the expectation. like I said, nobody (no significant amount of players) are gonna put a tremendous amount of effort (i.e. +3 hours of competitive uninterrupted play at least 6 days a week during a minimum time span of two consecutive years) in learning to be competitive at a entirely new set of maps. people go where they already know and where they already enjoy. the only current weak spot is probably the ctf server but well that's something I would have to probably work out better in other ways not just by randomly dropping people there out of nowhere. for the rest is pretty much the expected and I'm not gonna ruin it out of nowhere.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

yeah I suspected a little that it would not please players to be moved

i don't take anyone for a dummies / idiots and i don't want to offend anyone

it was a stupid idea, maybe I should have added humor

in no case did I want to criticize your choices and your Adminless work
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

don't worry that you haven't (offended anyone) and know this, any feedback is always welcome (to be discussed of course). problem seems to be more on my side that I use to give really blunt answers. I'm aware of that and I apologize if you found my answer too hard but I generally like to give such answers so there's a clear stance about the topic and what I really think rather than a weak/questionable/unclear/misleading (politically correct) one that may end up confusing everyone.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5

Post by imprecise »

no worries Adminless

at the time I found the idea rather nice and I remain convinced that it could be funny but that poses many problems as you specified it previously
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

...jutuli... wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:34 I dont like to be shifted up randomly all over the world ;) I can be ported to China then and not be able to return back...

That would be good , then you won't frag me so much......
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

I would frag you even from China easily ;)