Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.5 edition

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.5 edition

Post by adminless »

ok, so as I had announced on last days to complete what was left from the 20.4 version I just posted now a new UnFreeZe client v20.5 package so please grab the new zip here and let me know how that did for you before I proceed with further announcements/changes and so. hopefully this stuff will have clean status tomorrow.

in short not a lot changed from v20.4 (as it should be expected I guess) just a few (but very meaningful things I think) things were added:
  • improved the game visibility (particularly of the models) into absurd/cheat levels. controllable with the r_fixedlight client variable, defaults (and probably safe max) to 153 but feel free to increase it/decrease it as you see fit. r_fixedlight -1 gives back normal vq3 model lightning.
  • add another visual improvement to the hardcore settings.
  • completed the entire single player out of new custom maps. the six new tier being the so called UnFreeZe tier and the introduction and final maps just being a couple of extra maps.
  • added a new local training mode to step up your game and just for pure fun and Rocket Arena 3 nostalgia.
ok and that's it, give it a try and report back to me as usual how that did or if experienced any issue. btw I believe you should already know by now but just in case, please remember that the only thing you need to do with that zip file is extract it somewhere else and put the pak0.pk3 file your original Quake III Arena installation inside the baseq3 folder and then proceed to double click some of the provided ioq3v6 files, nothing more.

for the rest the model improvement is now of superior quality compared to the quick fix I previously posted (so it's definitively worth checking) and as for the completed custom single player I believe that it was a must. beyond a temporal solution I believe that people wouldn't understand it other way and like I said at other posts I think that it's handy to have a few extra maps ready to drop at glacius in case of need in the long run (and not wait until they are needed and people don't have them). so fire a couple of single player games and in the near future vote for your favorites of those that are not in glacius on a poll I'll open for that. the winner/s of the poll will probably be added to glacius.

as for the new training mode I think that it's also worth checking out. now the client includes the \exec training1 and \exec training2 commands to load some fun local ra3 alike training sessions, make sure to not miss that and step up your vicious combos and movements. on the near future I'll probably also look forward adding those training modes in online servers at the spare nbg2 cpu so you can even meet there and train with each other rather than against the bots and also for some Rocket Arena 3 alike nostalgia.
imprecise
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: imprecise

Re: Quake III Arena UnFreeZe Client 2020.5 edition

Post by imprecise »

hi Adminless

I just tested ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5
installed in C: \ ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5 + addition of pak0.pk3
launch the game from ioq3v6-intel.exe

no conflict with the version ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4 installed in C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Quake III Arena / ioq3v6-intel.exe

in_mouse -1 test then vid_restart without problem
back to in_mouse 1 then vid_restart without problem

test of exec training1 and exec training2 without problem

single player without problem

thank you for adding the estatica map, I hope it will please and collect votes

bravo, nice work, thanks for the changes and the additions
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, awesome, sounds good then let's wait to hear more input from other guys and if everything is ok I'll proceed to update the rest of the link and all that kind of stuff. thanks for getting back at me.
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

I just tested it and it's AWESOME! :clap: :thumbup:

LOVE the training mode, very cool, I just spent some romantic time with about 20 bots :lol:

And, also love the enemy colors!!!

This release is so good that I won't be adding any of my ususal pk3 to it, all I prefer is already in there. Woohoo! :clap:

Well done adminless, super release!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe yes looking good so far, apparently I still have to patch a issue with some very specific settings but for the rest I believe that, yes, now it should be a complete, finished packaged for the most part, at least for good time. I didn't add extra ctf maps by now as to not mess the things up since it's not even fully clear what path the ctf server will take so I think that it's probably better just have this and if so release extra ctf maps in the form of a mappack if necessary on the future.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok poll with the new maps is ready here, please cast your votes. the maps from the tier 4 are excluded for obvious reasons (dedicated duel maps not good for UnFreeZe) beside they can and are typically played at the masters server no need to add those to glacius too.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, I just received confirmation now that a rare issue with some specific settings on some specific systems (which was one of the original goals for this version) has been patched on a updated version of the ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5.zip package, and for the rest I haven't heard of any other issues with it in a couple of days since I posted it, thus I believe that it's fair to finally make this official and proceed with updating the rest of the posts and links.

with this v20.5 become the only recommended and supported version to play at the "UnFreeZe" line-up of servers (including the masters server) so make sure to grab your copy and update your installation for best/complete experience.
The Undead
User lv4
User lv4

Post by The Undead »

Thanks a lot, now no more issue for perfect green flashy ennemies (r_fixedlight set at 300, for me. Did not see any difference after, maybe even 200).
No more obliged to use the outdated "zzz-models.pk3" anymore :)
Good job!
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

I have been asked during game play how to get the custom configurations moved to the new 20.5 client when one upgrades from previous versions (to the attention of Mr. Pacman!)...who I think is yet to register on the forum but perhaps he is in incognito.

This may have been just me (please correct me adminless), but I had to move (or copy) my config from my profile folder to the 20.5 folder.

So for example, from:
C:\Users\DrGreenThumb\AppData\Roaming\Quake3\unfreeze\DrsConfig.cfg

..to my unpacked folder:
C:\ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5\unfreeze\DrsConfig.cfg

Obviously you will not have a "Dr.GreenThumb" folder, yours will show your local Windows username, so just use that.

Hope this helps.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5
in-game nick: PacMan.EZ

Post by PacMan »

Yo pacman here lol aka alyeti

Ok I done it , has made game play great

But the lightening gun is utterly terrible anyway I can change that manually to something else?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

mmmm what you mean? something like this? apparently it was experienced for some a broken lighting gun effect for yet unknown reasons. to the best of my knowledge the problems seems to be very likely related with a broken/misinstalled game. please ensure that you're using only the provided files from a different location. in addition, I see the request was about bringing your cfg (btw yes that's the usual location on a modern installation), did you experience your lg issue after you moved those (or other whatever files) into the installation or it was already broken from the start? if so please try with a clean cfg/installation.

ok, hope that helps, check it out and let me know if that fixes your issue.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

hi yes that was the issue , but i cant seem to download the lightening fix?
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

hi i followed the ftp through browser aswell , the file doesnt seem to be there lol
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know I removed as it shouldn't be necessary. it's just a workaround to fix a broken installation (i.e. one where you either put more files than the ones that were on the package or one where you copied the files somewhere else) but that's not the real solution to the issue. the real solution is that you indeed fix the broken installation (instead of braking it even more with a workaround), didn't you notice that apparently the issue raised after you copied your cfg and who knows what else from somewhere else? so please as I told you first try running the client from a clean and base installation (start at least by getting the connection warning gone). then we'll talk don't just blindly go for a workaround that it's not really how it's supposed to work.
PacMan
User lv5
User lv5

Post by PacMan »

ok please help me i can just about do a bind saying hello

1. which config file in which folders should i keep?
2. delete quake 3
3. install fresh
4. install the pack ufreeze

and so on, i assume that's what you mean ?