13%

Total votes: 54

Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Re: New maps?

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

I hear ya. Yes, it's a very large map and tends to host games over 30 minutes, but I'm sure you are well aware of that. The frustrations in the chat seem to be that as not many know the map too well, once one is frozen, it may take a long time before unfrozen or before the round ends. I see chats like "zzzz" and "bored", etc which are usually the players who are already frozen. I did play on this map once where it was lots of fun and fairly active (like on the smaller maps), but that was on full house when players did not leave. I suspect that evening was mostly regulars. I have not seen the exodus like above, but all other games on this map I've been part of players leave in the middle, tired of waiting. So what you wrote makes sense. And yes, also true that it just may be too large for Glacius as I bet I'm one of the few who actually goes there to play, with my good bot buddies :D

What about limiting the appearance of this map to no more than once an evening? I've had it before that the map came up twice, and the first game was okay, but the second game got a lot more whining from players (understandably).
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yes the thing is that although in relative terms these top players probably only account for a 15% or so in absolute terms over a population of close to 250 these are probably around 40 players and for that map to go you just need like a quarter of that value hence why it generally works out (have a 25% of the top players to show up at prime time is a realistic condition). however there's no way to guarantee whatsoever that such condition is gonna meet at any given single time and problem is that as soon as is not met is all over. the reality is that is a conflict of interest so it's really a complex matter. anyways like I said, not like I'm rushing things, I'll still leave it to run some more time, I'm just backing up any future action.

about limiting it even more, well that map already has several stopping conditions and safe-guards, in my opinion cutting it even more makes no sense. I mean, I think that adding a "new" map just to run it a handful of times per week is a joke, my expectation is that people would take that as a offense. I would expect to cause more harm than good, if the map is just unsuitable to load a couple of times a day most, then probably is not worth all the trouble.
ztn3dm1

Post by ztn3dm1 »

put the map- ZTN3DM1
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

that map is absolute garbage for UnFreeZe. that map (ztn3tourney1) is huge for duels instead at the masters server (85.10.197.106:27965/5.181.48.249:27965). go there if wanna play it from time to time, there's usually people playing it there. if you want to play UnFreeZe on other maps beyond the standard rotation then visit the glacius server instead (85.10.197.108:27963/5.181.48.249:27963). today 20:00 cest (forum time) people will meet up there, there use to be somewhere between 8-12 players, so this is your chance to join them.
tryit

Post by tryit »

absolute garbage for UnFreeZe its q3dm13 ,
replace it with ztn3dm1
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well guys as I said last time that I would, I'm removing now from the main server q3dm12. I think that enough is enough, that map just not work. fair and square, I was very patience, I let it run for several months as per your request and it failed. attached screen as documentation, fifteen minutes 3 points, prime time server full with up to 51 minutes and 15 seconds of cumulative join waiting queue going to four players at its prime right away. hell no, glacius didn't get so full out of nowhere, it did for a very specific reason, q3dm12 is killing this big time. so it's gone, whoever want other maps has glacius now and if someone misses it so much I could probably throw that at glacius if necessary.

edit1: btw just as finished posting this, server completely death, added screen for reference too. situation is getting so bad I'm even starting to consider about forcing a manual map change.

edit2: well I finally let it run and there you have it, top server completely killed for more than forty fucking minutes straight. there's no fucking way on earth I let this happen ever again, this is as bad as it gets, I'm not fucking around with the main servers in months at least due this situation.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2020-05-03 22-02-24.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-03 21-50-18.png
Screenshot from 2020-05-03 21-37-13.png
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

We (almost) all were on Glacius - 20+ ppl today.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know, I know, but anyways even with glacius full as it was you would still expect the main server to do at least something like 10 players, in no case, zero for close to an hour. and that's not even to mention the only three points in fifteen minutes of play and the eventual almost hour length games which are total garbage. if you look at the situation before q3dm12 it was (on whole numbers), 20, 20, 15 after it loaded it turned into 0, 20, 20. of course the 55 players value was a peak, the expected aggregate load was more in the 45-50 range, but by looking at that is easy to see that q3dm12 inflicted yesterday a overall players load loss in the range of 5-10 players.

as a matter of fact, it's more than well proven already that q3dm12 drives much more players away than it draws in and by a huge margin. like I said, next time I spot a serious incident with q3dm12 I won't (only) do the talking, I'll take action, and that was more than enough. knowing all that it would be irresponsible and truly bad and ugly management of me to keep letting q3dm12 run. depending on the players response as well as situation I may re-evaluate that on the future (months) but definitively no any time soon.

ultimately you can also see it this way, may be cutting q3dm12 from the main server will drive those few top players fans needed to make glacius regularly work outside of meeting times there instead. which (glacius) should have always been the appropriate response to this thread to begin with. we'll see.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

I thought the server was empty because 22 players went to glacius and some stayed on freefun.

But I admit that the map is not popular. A lot of players go to freefun then. On the other hand, that's good. Thanks to this, the other server is becoming more popup.

Anyway, the map will be on the second server, will it be removed from both?

Some ask if dm12 can be on glacius. I think that's a bad idea.

What about the other maps that could be tested on the main servers?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

adminless wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 22:31 btw for the record about this q3dm12 thing here, as of Thursday 20 of February of 2020 at 22:22 CET secondary server going from (almost) completely full to (almost) completely empty in just a matter of minutes and completely crashing the whole game just because of this particular map as evidenced on the attached screen. consequently q3dm12 has been removed from the secondary server as we speak and I'll keep monitoring the main server for this sort of unacceptable circumstances (there the situation looks still barely on the verge of acceptance so far but on second server is proven a killer for a fact once again). I apologize to anyone who got affected by this situation due my poor and reckless management on this.
I know as well as I know perfectly that there's also a very specific reason why FreeFUn gained so much popularity in recent times (that it became the true solid consistent server that the 70% or so of the people, i.e. just the casual player looking for a game, loves).

as for other maps, like I made clear, after the Sunday incident (that it was comparable as physically unplugging the server for an hour) I won't mess with the main servers at all, at least for some months until they recover some of the lost reputation and trust. I think that to "test" other maps (that I can also tell you for a fact that they work even worse than dm12) glacius is probably a better option at the moment.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

Fine. You're right, for a few months you can think about it. If not then no problem. Glacius is doing well.

I just wonder why there are no well-known maps from Quake Live on Glacius:

-Asylum
-Quarantine
-Trinity
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, probably dropping q3dm12 from UnFreeZe hurt some FreeFUn (as expected) but well even to some point that was good (less overload there) and it definitively helped the rest of the servers (not just glacius). yes, looks like a more stable, solid and adequate solution. as the maps you mention, like I said those are quakelive exclusives, other than low quality/buggy/hacked/pirated versions they are not available for Quake III Arena. anyways, back on topic one of the things I'm doing for the v20.5 version that hopefully will come out this week is still drop a few more community favorite maps to complete the tier. not that I'm gonna drop them just like that at glacius in the near future but it's also good to have some spare extra maps just in case.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

Fine. Consider adding these 3 maps to the pool. They seem dynamic and good for glacius.