problem with the size of the console

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
imprecise

problem with the size of the console

Post by imprecise »

hi adminless

- following a few config problems and a mouse that no longer moved normally, especially after adding ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4 to my config which contained old versions ioq3 and unfreeze0-client and unfreeze0-dev-client and probably invalid files which I the presumption disturbed my config.

- I dusted my pc and its fans then I uninstall Quake III and I delete the directories of Quake III Arena in "C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Quake III Arena" and "C: \ Users \ name \ AppData \ Roaming \ Quake III "then I clean up the registry and trash with ccleaner.

- then I reinstalled Quake III Arena maximum version from my Quake III Arena Gold CD with a valid serial number, I installed ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip then I added zzz-mpskins. pk3 and xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3 in baseq3. For the xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3 file is there any additional manipulation to do?

- I did not reinstall q3pointrelease_132.exe and Quake III Arena 1.32c nor unfreeze0-client.pk3 and unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3 nor punkbuster.

- everything seems to work properly, but on the other hand the console is centered and reduced in its width, how then to widen it to the width of the screen size please? (if possible, I did not find this info on the forum).

- moreover, the directory C: \ Users \ name \ AppData \ Roaming \ Quake III has not been recreated, which is fine with me but I wanted to point this out for your information (I am using Win10 1903).

- I still have a few adjustments to make in my q3config.cfg file for this I use the User's Guides & Help / Quake 3 Configuration Guide (v1.0) and other posts (thx Tar and others helpers).

thank you in advance for your help and thank you very much for this new version of ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4

respectful greetings
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: problem with the size of the console

Post by adminless »

hello

thanks for giving a try to the new version. yes, it's normal, as now the unfreeze installation is portable, meaning that you can now move it somewhere else (included another computer) and it will work as it should be. so it won't write or use data anywhere else anymore. that way it can co-exist with other Quake III Arena installations and it will prevent exactly the kind issues you described on the first part of your post. in addition now fully uninstalling the game is easier and people won't run anymore into the trouble of not knowing where his demos/screens or whatever files are saved.

I was documenting that now on a readme I'll upload within a hour or so and that I'll add to the final package. I'll let you know here so you can check it out and grab it for future reference. as for the console that's the expected behavior, yes, following the 4:3 aspect is reduced to that size. probably for smalls screens may look a bit "weird" but for huge screen is much more comfortable than a huge, endless console. anyways, probably is just get used to it.

if I missed something or if you have other questions don't hesitate to ask.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

- for information my graphics setting seems to be good, the display suits me, my screen resolution is 1920 x 1080 on the desktop.

- and in my config:

seta r_mode "17"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
seta r_customwidth "1920"
seta r_customheight "1080"
seta r_customPixelAspect "1"
seta r_ignoreGLErrors "1"
seta cg_teamChatHeight "0"
seta ui_smallFont "0.25"
seta ui_bigFont "0.4"

- I remain at your disposal if you need more information.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

- okay, thank you very much for your response regarding the console and future documentation, I should end up getting used to this new display of the console. :)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok README.txt just added to the package so get it and give it a read. it's nothing special, it should just explain what you've just asked me (how to install and get the game running essentially) but it's true that it was notoriously missing. that should now complete the package I guess then. and yes probably the "small" console shouldn't be much of a issue.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

you're GREAT :thumbup: :clap:
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

hi Adminless

would you know the command to increase the size of the font in the console please because i have trouble reading it is a bit small for my eyesight of old man with glasses.

thank you in advance
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, you right, that's kind of incorrect behavior by the engine that fails to adequately scale up the fonts to the actually running resolution as it does with other things. and yes at high resolutions it becomes hardly readable if anything at all. patched on this build, ioq3v6-cfix.exe. so please get that file and give it a try (just place it along the other ioq3v6 binaries) and let me know how it looks like now or if you spot other issues. that should now keep the original Quake III Arena proportions thus it should be readable I guess.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Good evening Adminless

- with ioq3v6-cfix.exe the font in the console is too big, an intermediate size should be fine I think :)

- with ioq3v6.exe and ioq3v6-intel.exe and ioq3v6-legacy.exe the size of the font in the console is the right one for me

- with ioq3v6-lowend.exe the size of the font in the console is smaller.

- I will use the version "ioq3v6-intel.exe" I have an Intel Core i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 graphics card (my pc is from 2014) with this version (and also with the version ioq3v6.exe) I have a fps at 200 while my fps peaks at 100 with the legacy and lowend versions despite the commands seta com_maxfps "200" and seta cl_maxpackets "100"
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

me again

I understood why the font appeared smaller with ufconfig-lowend-2004.cfg it is because I had put r_mode 17 instead of r_mode 8 for my 1920 x 1080 16: 9 display

I'm sorry I wasted your time on this, I sincerely apologize

thank you for your help
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe I know the "problem" was that you had increased the resolution but the thing is that, it shouldn't be the case. the reality is that like said is kind of incorrect behavior, for 1440p or UHD screens it becomes pretty much unreadable for example and I had missed it, so thanks for the feedback. ok, good to know, yes I think the same, that was the original size of the console font at 640x480 scaled, so yeah it was pretty big, probably the standard ioQ3v6 settings fit better so I'll keep those and this time I'll scale them properly across resolutions. hope I'll patch that along a few other things this evening. thanks for give this a try and report back and yes with that computer the "intel" version is the right one for you.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

hi Adminless

thank you for your kindness and for not blaming me for my stupidity (i felt so stupid afterwards) and thank you also for the confirmation about the ioq3v6-intel.exe version that i am using now. The cause of my confusion with the fonts is that for the lowend file I had corrected it out of play in the config file by putting r_mode 17 1920x1080 in customheight / customwidth and for the following I made the modification in game via Setup / Graphics / 1920x1080 16: 9 which gives r_mode 8 for a 1600x1024 16: 9 display finally (what suits me perfectly is the resolution I used previously in Quake3).

otherwise I am very satisfied with the version ioq3v6-intel.exe it is very pleasant and very effective to play, much more than my old messy config. with this new version you will make people happy for sure, it's great

I made a minimum of changes so as not to distort your configuration, I only added and modified binds, chose another crosshair and modified its size, adjusted the sensitivity of the mouse, and added a rocketjump ... I had several disappointments with the binds that I modified directly in the file ufconfig-2004.cfg either they did not work because reset or they displayed " /par" after my sentence example bind F4 "say_team ^ 5AERA CLEAR" displayed "AERA CLEAR /par" in game and I found this "/par" in the config file after disconnection, I had to do all my binds in game in spectator mode then I made a writeconfig ufconfig-2004.cfg and after two tests everything was correct.

I have a regret regarding the rocketjump it is that the set rocketjump disappears from the config file after the disconnection, there remains only the bind vstr rocketjump, that forces me to write manually the set rocketjump via the console once connected or add it to the ufconfig-2004.cfg file before each connection. I do not know if it is possible to make it remain present in the file ufconfig-2004, I tried by making a copy of the file ufconfig-2004.cfg with the rocketjump then by renaming it in cc.cfg once connected I do /exec cc it answers execing but the rocketjump does not work ...

here is the rocketjump that I use:

set rocketjump "centerview; cl_pitchspeed 9999000; + lookdown; + attack; + moveup; wait 2; -lookdown; -attack; -moveup; wait 2; centerview; cl_pitchspeed 140"

bind SPACE "vstr rocketjump"

thank you for your help and patience and a thousand thanks for ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hello

ok just patched the console size thing now with sensible values for actual hardware so I would appreciate if you could give a try to the whole ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip package again and let me know if that finally suits you and/or if you encounter any other issues. if not then I believe that should be the finished thing, probably all that would be left is update the download&documentation thread on the main forum (which I'll look forward next).

as for the cfg issue, that was unfortunate, problem is that is always kind of "complicated" to edit Quake III Arena cfg "just like that". I'm not gonna get technical here but problem seems to me to be on the line terminators the software you used to edit the cfg used. so my suggestion is simply to try to edit them with another software like wordpad instead then next time try to edit your cfg with the wordpad and check if that worked.

as for the rocketjump not saving in your cfg, that's simple, to save a variable on your cfg that's done with the seta command instead of the regular set command. the regular set command instruct the engine to create a temporal variable on memory, the seta command instead instructs it to store it on your cfg, though you first must initialize it. essentially, when you add it to your cfg, add it with the seta command instead and if you plan on doing it right on the console then the code should be something like this, I guess:

Code: Select all

\seta rocketjump ""
\rocketjump "centerview; cl_pitchspeed 9999000; +lookdown; +attack; +moveup; wait 2; -lookdown; -attack; -moveup; wait 2; centerview; cl_pitchspeed 140"
ok, let me know if you still have problems.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

I proceeded in the following way to test the ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip, after having made a backup of the files pak0.pk3 q3key zzz-mpskins.pk3 zzz.nade_full_green.pk3 xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3

I deleted the baseq3, cer, unfreeze, and all the ioq3v6 files present in Quake III Arena, then I cleaned my pc with Wipe from privacy root to eliminate waste and residual traces and with ccleaner for the registry ( who has found no change) to make sure there is no conflict.

I decompressed and copy / paste the directories and files contained in the ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip (link of the post) then I added pak0.pk3 q3key zzz-mpskins.pk3 zzz.nade_full_green.pk3 xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3 in baseq3

xcsv_bq3hi-res.pk3 loads correctly and displays xcsv hi-res by kpax at the bottom right of the screen when launching the game.

I did the whole test on Glacius so as not to disturb anyone.

I started the test with legacy, when entering the game the font size is the right one (neither too small as in the previous ioq3v6lowend, nor too large as in ioq3v6-cfix.exe) then I did Setup / System / Graphics and I selected 1920x1080 16: 9 then accept and my resolution went into seta r_customheight "1024" seta r_customwidth "1600" seta r_mode "17" the font size remained the same . I also tested 960x540 16: 9, 1280x720 16: 9, 1600x900 16: 9, the font sizes are correct. then I put r_mode 8 in the file ufconfig-legacy-2004, I relaunched the game and the resolution passed to 1280x720 16: 9 in the system setup and seta r_customheight "1024" seta r_customwidth "1600" in the file config and the font size is still correct.

then I tested lowend, ioq3v6.exe, ioq3v6-intel.exe which started with 1280x720 16: 9 in the setup and seta r_customheight "1024" seta r_customwidth "1600" seta r_mode "8" in the config file. I then tried with 1600x900 16: 9 and 1920x1080 16: 9 via Setup / System / Graphics and it is the right font size for the three resolutions, I could not test the higher values ​​because it bug and I have an openGL subsystem error message.

I also tested 4: 3 formats 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1600x1200 and the font sizes were correct.

for the rocketjump I wrote in the console

/ bind SPACE "rocketjump" and

/ seta rocketjump "centerview; cl_pitchspeed 9999000; + lookdown; + attack; + moveup; wait 2; -lookdown; -attack; -moveup; wait 2; centerview; cl_pitchspeed 140"

which are now saved as is in the file ufconfig-2004.cfg but the rocketjump does not work ...

for the settings of ioq3v6-intel that I use I was in setup / controls I activated smooth mouse, modified the move, shoot and misc binds to my liking. In setup / system I selected video mode 1920x1080 16: 9 and in setup / game options I chose another crosshair, I activated identify target and draw team overlay upper right. Then I edited the file ufconfig-2004.cfg with notepad (the previous time where I had some difficulties I used wordpad) and I added some binds say and say_team, I changed the value s_volume at 0.5 instead of 0.8 and sensitivity at 3 here are the only modifications I have made and everything works well except the rocketjump which I still find very practical in certain situations, I try not to abuse it and I take care in as much as possible not to use it near my teammates to avoid pushing them and that they take damage from enemies because of me.

In summary everything is perfect in my opinion, this version fills me, I find myself with a better config than before, you have done very very good work and I grant you my sincere congratulations, I hope that the jury of good and very good server players will have the same opinion as me for this new version of ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4 for Adminless hip hip hip hooray !!!

this version deserves a beautiful web page to make it known to the general public and attract new players ...

Cheers
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hi

thanks for testing all this out and get back to me. ok, then that finally looks good I guess and good to know that the right text editor for you was the notepad and not the other way around. most of the times that's highly dependent on system/localization/settings and so thus is hard to tell. anyways, the problem was indeed the text editor.

as for the rocketjump script not working, just by giving it a quick read it's also easy to see why, it contains errors. corrected on the code part of my previous post (notice the lack of space in +lookdown; +attack; +moveup now). give it a try and let me know if that now works as it should be. unfortunately problem was that I just copy/pasted the code you posted assuming that it was correct and I haven't even read it. that was my fault, sorry about that.

btw as for the files you do not need to copy the zzz-mpskins.pk3 and zzz-grenade.pk3 into the baseq3 anymore. those files are already inside the UnFreeZe pk3. they are only provided (and used) for people who prefer to use another mod or may be even no mod but if you're using the provided package you don't need them.

well, that's it, let me know if that script is now correct and/or if you have more problems. for the rest so far I believe that by now it should be done.