request for maps

Quick Unregistered Guest forum.
imprecise

request for maps

Post by imprecise »

Hello Adminless, Hello everyone,

Adminless could you add the estatica-cardigan map I like it and I think it could be fun to play ...

And if you could also add the maps q3dm9 and q3dm15 on FreeFun or Unfreeze it could be nice and we would change some of the usual maps

thank you in advance for that and once again a big thank you to you for all the work you do on the servers and the forum, I am very happy to be able to come and play it

cheers
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: request for maps

Post by adminless »

hello

that map seems pretty cool (I mean, at least aesthetically) but I never heard of it in decades then I highly doubt there's already a strong experienced player base around that map as we speak as to justify to add it into a public server. as for adding other standard Quake III Arena maps, well "recently" (few months ago) after this very same discussion the map q3dm12 ended being added and even till this day (months later) the server hardly manages to cope with it. that being said, the situation with the maps you mention, q3dm9 and q3dm15 is even worse. q3dm9 ran for well more than a year here and it never really worked out (beside there's already enough quality mid-load maps) and q3dm15 was tried a couple of times and it completely killed the server altogether. both maps are pretty much the same, slow, campy maps with plenty of auto hurt zones. I might end up giving then a try at some point or another again, but definitively not any time soon and very likely not at any of the both main servers, they clearly fall short behind the rest of the rotation.

anyways if you're looking for more maps beyond the standard rotation the best I can do for you at the moment is to suggest you to check out the glacius server which is full of the best custom maps ever known. people typically meet up there on Sunday evenings, look it up at the master page (85.10.197.108:27963 / 5.181.48.249:27963) and check its schedule.
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

imprecise come join us on Sundays on Glacius! ...read and follow this thread for details:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=512
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

Hello Adminless,

estatica-cardigan is indeed a very nice map very nice to play but with the mod osp and all the rockets-jumps that the players are doing at the moment it seems difficult to play finally so you are right to leave it aside ...

q3dm12 is a large map not well known to novice players which makes it a little painful to play a few times and which can last up to more than 45 minutes of play, moreover often players drop out during the game, I confirm your feeling for this map.

I understand your analysis for the q3dm9 and q3dm15 cards even if it is also a bit the case for the q3dm14 map.

I know the Glacius server I sometimes go to play there also when players are present.

thank you for adding the q3tourney3 map to the rotation, I like it, however I regret the presence of bots on these small maps which can be played at 2 as at 4. Sorry I hate playing with bots in general ... it would be nice if the bots only intervened to balance the number of players and not add one or more to each team if there are the same number of real players on each team. I don't know if this is possible and complicated to achieve or even if you agree with that ... but I would do with ...

Some days I dream of being able to play on Unfreeze or FreeFun without the mod osp which allows you to do rockets-jumps without taking damage, I find that some players abuse it, I no longer count the number of times I was killed by a rocket-jump in a corridor, or to see a player attacked by 3 or 4 players who shoot him with rockets and to find that he comes out alive thanks to a defense based on his rockets-jumps .. despite everything I still appreciate this mod osp and I also use rockets-jumps.

Thank you for your answers and your kindness, I hope you are doing well in these difficult times for all, take good care of yourself

Friendly
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

yeah, I know but like I said also a significant amount of people (i.e. a 15% approx) requested it (q3dm12) so just let's leave it by now. so far my observations is that it probably "crashes" the server once every other week which is quite bad but well so far seems that, barely acceptable, beside q3dm12 load chances are already to its minimum. of the rest I know q3dm14 is probably some of the most controversial too but as I mentioned last time, there's no many big maps available on the standard Quake III Arena assets, I'll find counter productive end up removing some of the already few maps in the rotation as a "response" for a "request for (more/new) maps". besides even so q3dm14 definitively has a big deal of fans not everybody is on the hardcore competitive side, in fact, most are just casuals.

about the bots, well, they show up rarely and probably on FreeFUn/glacius are keep to a minimum just to get the things going. as for the rocket jumps, well, as everything it has up-sides as it has down-sides. things always go both ways but my overall feeling is they make the game more dynamic and they allow for faster navigation of the maps which is key for a gametype like FTAG for example.

as for the rest, like I said I might review the rotation/maps some time in the future (as with everything else) but not any time soon. by now things are already properly set and meant to stick for some time (probably months). I believe that whoever wants "new" maps, "different" maps or whatever should just start by visiting the glacius server instead of write about it. then if things get going at the glacius server we can discuss about adding other maps there or even drop a couple of the standard ones that didn't made to the main servers or just whatever but the focus now should be to be on make that glacius server work.
imprecise

Post by imprecise »

ok no worries i respect your decisions and i understand your choices

for rockets-jumps I agree with you it energizes the game, it bothers me especially when I'm tired and I find it hard to stay competitive, oh old age enemy ... I'm getting old ...; -)

thank you again for all your explanations

see you soon in the game :-)