Question to admin

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Question to admin

Post by WhoAmI »

QoS - QoS and NAT boost cannot be enabled at the same time.
If I turn off NAT boost and turn on QoS, my internet doesn't work. So QoS doesn't work either.

I entered the game using ports 5060 and 5061.

Mini lags are still there. It doesn't change anything.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

mmmm but that sounds to me more like you just accessed your router rather than the WiMAX equipment. I was talking more about the WiMAX station physical link layer qos but anyways I agree that having to deal with all this kind of stuff is overkill for the task being and besides even if you, or someone at your isp, figure it out to my experience in real life situations qos settings rarely make any dramatic difference. so yeah it's better to just leave it as it's as it's probably not even worth it. hehe not really that I was expecting that cheap trick to work anyways hahaha but well it was worth trying so it's good to know, thanks for report.

so I don't really know as you might guess the servers are optimized and tested for the average now-a-days connections, i.e. the usual dsl up to 20/1, typically 8-15 mbit lines or better, aka cable, not for WiMAX or more generally nowadays mobile 3G/4G/LTE connections. these kind of wireless connections though increasingly popular each day don't represent any more than a 13% here more or less so as you might guess I'm not gonna start capping the server at the expense of the 87% of the people to smooth out the play of a few clients that likely are going to lag regardless.

then there's no much stuff you can do, but if you want to dig some more I still have some ideas:

-it would be interesting to see a consistent output of "mtr unfreeze.fpsclasico.de" (download) from your side. you could even use that to complain of low quality of servive to your isp given the fact the ping increase takes place at the WiMAX link.
-I bet that at some point you should have SNR and signal strength/power of your WiMAX link, it would be interesting to check its evolution.
-additionally may be place some reflecting and insulating element behind your WiMAX antenna, like for example a coated mirror, could improve the situation. worth trying in my opinion.
-eventually you could consider giving a try to some LTE connection too. this one here for example looks interesting, the problem with that seems to be that unfortunately it comes with a 24 contract period :/
serca
User lv2
User lv2

Post by serca »

What is the regularity of that lag spikes? What are their duration and frequency?

Anyway, you should localize the lag source.
- Exclude your PC by testing with fresh OS or current OS with disabled autorun applications and external services (another laptop would be great).
- Try to catch that spikes with advanced ping utilities (like PingInfoView). If you catch them pinging the unfreeze server, try to ping your providers' website or just your local router.
- You may also try to connect external antenna to your wimax router (if supported). That may help if the problem is the radio line. Typical problem for radio channels (like wi-fi) in highly populated areas is the bandwith overload by your neighbors. That leads to radio conflicts and unstable connection quality.
There are probably few wimax base stations of your internet provider accessible to you. So trying to connect to another one sounds like a good idea. Do that by relocating your wimax client hardware and using shields (like from adminless advice above with the mirror), blocking signal from the different parts of your city.
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

My opinion is that the issue is definitely the new antenna he got. Signal was just fine on the older 10mbps bandwidth setup (same PC), but ever since they've upgraded him to 30mbps (and got a new antenna) the signal has the regular mini-lags. I suspect other customers got the same upgrade, and possibly the receiver ends were not really upgraded much, so perhaps there is some buffering taking place at demodulation as the packet stream now gets overloaded over the air, trying to serve the higher bandwidth requests. Or, something noisy along the path is disturbing the signal that the 10mbps antenna simply ignored.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

@adminless
Yes. Exactly. I have access to the router. I wrote it wrong. I doubt that I will be able to access the antenna.
Of course. No problem. I will try every option. Almost everyone.

* mtr - I have no idea how to use it correctly. You could explain
* https://www.speedtest.pl/test/226794025 - ping test, download, upload
* SNR - I can't check this value on my router. I go to the status tab but unfortunately I do not have this information. It can only be checked for ADSL connections.
* mirror? Should I attach a mirror behind the antenna? :D That sounds crazy.
* LTE - I have LTE in my smartphone. I checked. I connected the phone to the computer with a USB cable. Then I could use LTE packages on my computer. I have 10 - 15 GB of internet in my phone. Depends on what package I buy. But I'll tell you a curiosity. I can't connect to your server. I can on some Russian servers etc. I can't do yours. Of course, I don't have mini lags then.
* Netia LTE internet - this is crap. Netia are scammers. One of the largest in Poland. Most negative opinions. Worst customer service. 24 months I would have to pay them for LTE internet and probably would be shit. People have a lot of problems with this company. I also have a 24-month contract with my provider. Ends in a year. Then I will have optical fiber. Until then, however, I would prefer the current internet to allow me to play freely in Quake :D

@serca

* these are small jumps. Ping increases from 25 to 38 - 40. But I feel like it is over 100. Then the game is terribly warpy/lagging.
* I have updates disabled. I have already tested.
* tested on a different computer. On a laptop too. Mini lags were also there.
* Yes. The second point is 200 meters from my house. The current point is 1000 meters. I showed in the picture. But I can't move the equipment myself. They would have to configure everything the internet provider. Rather, they would not like to do this because the second point is closer but there are trees on the road. I would have to mount the antenna on the roof.
* I tried to ping the provider's website etc. I have never noticed anything strange. I also tried to check the program for something suspicious in the background. I found nothing.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

Try https://www.speedtest.net/ - download theirs small application for Windows, do some measurements and look at the results. You can see there if you got lost packets (in %). If you do have some, try to convince your ISP to re-tune your antenna to slightly different frequency. They can do it remotely. You can also try to convince your ISP for some re-tune just for sure - it may help and reliable ISP can do it for you.
I have WiFi ISP too, mostly OK, but every evening some ping fluctuation, even some connection errors smtimes... WiFi is a crap, especially in bigger cities also 5GHz zone starting to be overflooded.. Yesterday I played for a hour with ping around 60-100. Little hell...
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/2 ... cbec1befa4

I can't catch this interference using this application. This is not possible even. You cannot see Jitter in this application.
5g may improve performance.
You're right. I can ask them to reconfigure the antenna.

But they will be reluctant. Because they think it works 100%. They say it's not from them. It's definitely my fault.
If I tell them that I have mini lags in Quake, they'll say it's a joke. They will say that this is not the internet for professional players and will not deal with such mini mistakes. Mini Matters.
serca
User lv2
User lv2

Post by serca »

> I tried to ping the provider's website etc. I have never noticed anything strange.

PingInfoView helps you to understand the regularity and duration of the lags by accumulating long time statistics.
If you can't catch your lags pinging unfreeze server with this utility, then your problem may be resolved just by using vpn/port tunneling, etc
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

the mtr thing should be pretty much straight forward, just download, extract it, double click on winmtr64 (or winmtr), enter unfreeze.fpsclasico.de as host (or some of the other ip's) and start the trace. leave that to run while you play for some time and then export the results as text, then you can use that to complain to your isp or post them here for reference. examples (ipv6&ipv4):

Code: Select all

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                         2001:470:w:x::1 -    0 |  302 |  302 |    0 |    0 |    0 |    0 |
|                         2001:470:y:z::1 -    0 |  302 |  302 |   44 |   45 |   56 |   45 |
|                       2001:470:0:320::1 -    0 |  302 |  302 |   43 |   47 |   98 |   45 |
|                       2001:470:0:3ea::2 -   10 |  222 |  201 |   43 |   44 |   56 |   44 |
|                       2001:470:0:227::2 -    0 |  302 |  302 |   49 |   50 |   70 |   50 |
|                       2001:470:0:4b7::1 -    2 |  283 |  278 |   53 |   56 |  175 |   55 |
|                       2001:470:0:404::1 -    5 |  257 |  245 |   54 |   57 |   85 |   55 |
|                        2001:470:0:69::2 -    1 |  298 |  297 |   56 |   58 |   92 |   58 |
|                    2001:470:1f0b:352::1 -    1 |  298 |  297 |   57 |   60 |  154 |   60 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

Code: Select all

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                                 a.b.c.d -    0 |  301 |  301 |    0 |    0 |   10 |    0 |
|                                10.2.0.1 -    0 |  301 |  301 |    5 |    7 |   18 |   10 |
|                             77.26.15.76 -    0 |  301 |  301 |    5 |    7 |   18 |    6 |
|                             77.26.17.61 -    0 |  301 |  301 |    5 |    6 |   19 |    5 |
|                             77.26.17.62 -   18 |  181 |  150 |    7 |    8 |   18 |    9 |
|                          80.231.157.133 -    1 |  297 |  296 |   18 |   20 |   46 |   18 |
|                           80.231.139.65 -    0 |  301 |  301 |   53 |   54 |   66 |   54 |
|                           80.231.139.42 -    5 |  259 |  248 |   53 |   55 |   70 |   56 |
|                          80.231.154.142 -    0 |  301 |  301 |   53 |   55 |   73 |   57 |
|                           80.231.153.49 -    0 |  301 |  301 |   53 |   55 |   69 |   53 |
|                           195.219.87.13 -    0 |  301 |  301 |   53 |   55 |   80 |   54 |
|                          195.219.87.195 -    0 |  300 |  300 |   52 |   55 |   88 |   54 |
|                          195.219.219.10 -    0 |  300 |  300 |   53 |   59 |  139 |   59 |
|                          213.239.245.34 -    0 |  300 |  300 |   56 |   62 |  106 |   62 |
|                         213.239.203.222 -    0 |  300 |  300 |   56 |   60 |  326 |   58 |
|                            85.10.203.89 -    0 |  300 |  300 |   56 |   58 |   68 |   57 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
hahaha I know but yes it's supposed to help, so like I said it's worth trying to drop some thick reflective element behind your antenna and see if it improves. if you don't have a suitable mirror or something similar you can try dropping anything, specially with parabolic form and dense, and coat it on aluminum foil or stuff like that.

yes, that's usb tethering and yes if you have any decent recent (i.e. couple of years old) smartphone it should do the job. of course the dedicated on-the-go internet plan should be preferably but probably mostly for conformability, I guess that your actual smartphone should do the job just fine anyways, and on the up-side it's more flexible (meaning upgradable) than the dedicated solution. so I agree that it's unrealistic to expect such performance from WiMAX (wifi included) connections like I started saying, they just don't work like that. then basically that means that your only realistic solution is to look for another options, which considering your circumstances I think that probably that means the LTE way which btw not that it's going to be perfect anyways, but probably it will be some better or at least more new than your current WiMAX infrastructure.

and btw sure I also considered about suggesting a frequency (channel) change and noted to decrease the frequency whenever possible (ex. "the older 10mbps bandwidth setup (same PC), but ever since they've upgraded him to 30mbps (and got a new antenna) the signal has the regular mini-lags" sames goes for wifi, though wifi n provides more theoretical bandwidth wifi g generally works much better in actual real life situations) however I dropped the former because, first that's not a trivial change, it's not like your home router, frequencies on WiMAX connections are probably inventoried and pinned to customer likely meaning that to make a frequency change they also have to change some one else frequency or who knows even eventually may be the terminal equipment (aka firmware), second the broadcast of radio signals at metropolitan range is strictly regulated by law, meaning that it's a actual crime to emit metropolitan radio signal without formal authorization and a valid license from the governing body and such licenses are expensive so it may even come that they are only allowed to transmit a very specific frequency, we don't know and ultimately because it's not even worth go all that trouble as it's very likely to lag the same anyways, if not right away just in some time.

mmmm and about your LTE connectivity issue just like that I don't really know but all that comes to my mind is that may be you're coming from this provider here (or re-sellers of it) that I was obliged to block here as of Tuesday 19 of December of 2017 (see) for essentially trash the whole server with lag then let me know your phone ip and I'll look if can do something for you.

as I don't operate in your region I can't tell first hand but from what I know of running these things from various years I'm still to receive/observe a connectivity issue like this one or similar from some netia client plus I like their website design. from your comments it looks to me their problem may be that they spend their money on actual quality engineers/infrastructure rather than polite/friendly experienced front desk agents that can handle all the heat when something unavoidably breaks. not that it matters to me as I'm usually the one offering the support rather than asking for it anyways so my inverse opinion of them is quite good and probably the best choice there or at least what I would pick there. but anyways that was just a suggestion and yes I agree with that that 24 month contract for a crappy on-the-go internet is kind of a rip off, there should be no contract period at all for something as basic as that or as much a minor sign-up fee or alternatively free plus 3 or 6 months contract period max.

anyways you should do just fine with your actual LTE phone plan and 10 GB/month should be enough for your Quake III Arena gaming here provided that you don't kill it with other things (ex. YouTube). I haven't precisely measured but I estimate that your monthly bandwidth use of the server whould be inferior to 5 GB though like I just noted I could be off so better check it out first hand.
...jutuli...
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: ...jutuli...

Post by ...jutuli... »

.WTF!Wrong! wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 15:19 https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/2 ... cbec1befa4

I can't catch this interference using this application. This is not possible even. You cannot see Jitter in this application.
You should download small application (for Win or other systems) and measure thru it, not at the website. In the app you can see the jitter and also packet loss.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw in case someone experiencing serious issues with its connectivity is interested in going the LTE (or in the near future better) way or at least give it a try/have some emergency backup alternative, I made some measurements now and it seems like my quick estimation was probably right. apparently each gigabyte is worth around twelve hours of in-game play on average so that means that five gigabytes should provide around sixty hours on most situations which should already be enough for most and still leave some room for other occasional/non data intensive uses over the "standard" entry level ten gigabyte plan that in total it should provide about one hundred and twenty hours of in-game play on average of dedicated only in-game use.

as noted those are average measurements and for this very specific server with this very specific settings. actual real final end of the month results for specific game situations, custom game clients/settings or just other uses might eventually vary from those numbers although on average the 10 GB data plan, 5/5 split for 60 hours of in-game play plus other occasional/eventual uses seems like a fair and accurate estimation nevertheless provided that nothing goes exceptionally wrong like for example your windows operative system desperately auto-downloading hundred of megabytes in a effort to auto-update itself obscurely in the background while you were just having fun in-game. bottom line prior to ever plug any sort of data limited connection make completely sure at least to disable every single sort of software auto-download/auto-update for anything you have installed on your computer other way the numbers here won't match up.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

Okay. I send results mtr.

https://files.fm/u/rutef7ms

Well. I will attach a mirror or something covered with aluminum foil behind the antenna. I have to look for. There will definitely be something.

But I don't want to sign another contract. I prefer to use a smartphone.

Yes. I have a "lajt mobile" network. But lajt mobile is a "plus" subnet. So that's right why I can't access your server :( I could play via LTE if I had access. Although I don't know if I would have the right low ping.

I signed a contract for 2 years at a speed of 30 mb/s. 60 mbps at night. I can't reduce it. It is possible that if I reduced to 10 mb/s I might not have mini lags. But I can't do that. Unless they reduce me to 10 mb/s but I will still pay like 30 mb/s =D

I sent the IP address to the email address.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, that's what I was talking about, it was likely either plus.pl or a re-seller of it. well you sent me the wrong ip but I'm not gonna waste any more of your time with more technical stuff. I just dropped the plus.pl block now and we'll see if that fixes your connectivity issue and how it does. as previously reported, just a couple of years ago that network was among the worst in the continent so I wouldn't have my hopes very high.

yeah normal, don't worry that I don't work for any company nor I'm sponsored by any company or anything. I don't pretend to sell you anything or that you contract with any specific provider, I was simply giving you some advice from my point of view. and yes about the provided mtr output, it's quite clear, you're getting consistent +500 ms lag spikes (i.e. more than half a second of delay) on third node (10.19.0.1) which is likely the WiMAX station. whatever the case is, they/the WiMAX is the part at fault here.

needless to say that's total garbage and with that trace they definitively should at least look at it though yes I guess that probably as we already disccussed it's very unlikely that you're going to get anything out of it so give it a try at your phone LTE and let's see if it does some better. that's probably your best shot for this.
WhoAmI
User lv4
User lv4

Post by WhoAmI »

I sent the IP address as I had on the phone. In the telephone system. The IP address was written. I thought he was good.

As for mtr. I don't know if it matters. Yesterday, when I checked mtr on your server was lag. Server lag. I don't know if this changed anything in the test.

In a moment I will try to check how LTE works in plus.pl on your server. I can probably use 2 cards in my smartphone. I can also use a different network. Such as Lycamobile. I can only buy internet on the Lycamobile network.

Fine. I know you just want to help. I'm not saying you work at Netia and you want to make an offer for me: D I don't think so: D

I will check the Plus.pl network and write again.
Dr.GreenThumb
User lv4
User lv4
in-game nick: Dr.GreenThumb

Post by Dr.GreenThumb »

"you're getting consistent +500 ms lag spikes (i.e. more than half a second of delay) on third node (10.19.0.1) which is likely the WiMAX station"

As I suspected the problem is most likely right at the receiver antenna that you took a picture of on that far away building. So typical of ISPs... Offer an upgrade, but really only soft push up the bandwidth, and don't improve anything hardware on the backbone. Rip off, just selling off the empty capacity that actually allowed wimax to work sufficiently during busy hours. And of course this won't bother the typical web and one directional streams so they don't care if you report it.

Still may be worth reporting to the ISP - the fact that you can show that your second hop is causing all this - you may be able to get them to do something about it if you complain enough. Maybe, maybe not, but I'm sure I would be calling them every day with some excuse of "my work requires VPN which constantly disconnects" or something similar. I would not mention Quake :-D ...but work, maybe they help (maybe they don't care).