UnFreeZe client feedback/requests

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: UnFreeZe client feedback/requests

Post by adminless »

btw I was reviewing that code now and it seems that I overlooked that on the bob patch the cg_kickscale has some independent parts so it's still very likely to have to set \cg_kickscale 0 for the improved aim you requested in addition to the cfg I posted. after tested it for some time now I believe that that yes I can make it default in the mod, aim definitively seemed improved.

edit: just updated defaults now on the usual file
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well in addition to your requests I also disabled the default blinking and redness effect of the screen when being hit by default in the mod now. ok I believe now that with that I'll make this official and if something is wrong or is due to be changed, ok, be it :D
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Thanks for the effort.

I spotted a bug today: when you team change within the game (only noticed on enforced team changing as I do not change it manually, anymore) the set models do not change with it. Workaround: you have to execute "cg_forcemodel 2" and afterwards "cg_forcemodel 3" to have the right team and enemymodels again (which still brings up some sound errors in the console).

I also noticed that cg_bobup is fixed on "0.005" which is set hard by the server. I cannot set it to "0" and I still recognize a wiggle/shake when I get hit so that my rail goes anywhere but not where I aimed. Is this on purpose?
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe yes that's right I had missed to account for the need to change forced models on team changes, fixed now then, and well, ok, look let's do this I reverted that Open Arena patch I had applied and I removed (not disabled, removed, is no longer even there) all that aim physics related code so, specifically, I can now personally guarantee you 100% sure that there's absolutely nothing in the code that is changing your aim and it's no even possible to missconfigure it anymore (it's not even there to avoid any further problems with odd/old configurations, mistakes etc we can assume a basic thing like the aim physics "standard") so let's hope that this fixes that for good, I mean all that was left there was the land jump "bouncing" code (I believe you would have noticed that when landing on a jump you doesn't land "flat" you bounce a little) that is mostly part of the own game physics and that it was never configurable anyways and that I believe that is not of what we are talking about.

to be honest I tested it before and now it didn't feel smooth or better overall it felt superb I mean even I myself could hit 30%+ accuracies without too much effort so much that I'm not even sure if this will basically turn the server into a "no brainer" (trivially "no fun", at the end it could even be argued that warping around the enemy aim a little with your attacks is part of the game balance overall as I believe that you could see yourself last days haha) anyways just saying get usual unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3 and let me know if you still have some problems.

thanks for report, see you
onlycape
User lv3
User lv3

Post by onlycape »

Hello,
I just wanted to add two suggestions:

1) About autobalance: Cristiano Ronaldo and Mesi cant play in same team. I think you take the idea :D . Maybe you can use the ranking data to balance teams before the game starts.

2) There is a hit sound, why not an optional kill sound. IMO It would improve the gaming experience. It may seem silly, but it is very addictive :D .

Best regards.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

While you are adjusting the ranking with the accuracy (hopefully) could you just use the actual playing time only - without spectating time, waiting till thawed time, 10 secs start time and waiting for next map time?

Btw. is it possible to customize the hud? I would like to have a more customizable crosshair (esp. color) and I think this is not possible for unfreeze, is it?
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hey hello guys

@onlycape hehe you're sharp, that would be epic eh well that's one of the ideas I also had in mind when I started with the rank site, that's good, that's good however as you can understand that's something that would require a design (re-design) of the services beyond the few weeks left for v1.1 and that it would even introduce some problems of it's own (different protocols and more things) and it's something that even has it's own limitations so that would be something more as for the long term if ever (and most likely ever 100%). so far, the server already actually does something like that but instead of take the whole rank it takes the previous game as "rank", little know fact is that the server actually already sort the teams at the end of the game based on their score (not based on "bots vs noobs" criterias or "randomly" by the way) this way even auto correcting (or to at least trying, nothing is perfect) itself and overall I believe that by scrambling the rank database the autobalance code does its job of keeping most games generally balanced.

mmmmm that's a good idea however I'm not so sure of how that could be integrated, by the way one hit sound? there's actually three in the mod :P (depending on enemy health before being hit, low, mid and high pitched hit sound respectively)

@tar time is actually not that important in vsp stats, in fact time is not even a variable in vsp stats, the "unit" of reference in vsp stats are mostly the deaths and/or the games that imo are even more significative than the "time". a so accurate time tracking as you're requesting will likely require heavy modding so that would be something more for the long term what i can do however (that I even thought about when added the accuracy xD) in the sort term (may be this weekend) is add "basic" time tracking (i.e. finished active game played time, the one you see in the scoreboard, that unfortunately also includes thawed time but hopefully none of the rest) and print a much more accurate score/min stat than that of gametracker (one stat that people seem to be used to btw) and may be in the future work around the thaw time, we'll see, I'm not making a promise here.

not so far, "drawing" mods are expected for v1.2 (if ever, I'm not a artist hehe sorry about that, I suck big time at "drawings") v1.1 is more of the core update and that I believe (it looks like) it's doing a good way however sure it's possible to polish some things about it :D the crosshair color is trivial, I just maid it magenta because is what provide the better contrast with the other mod colors (better than the standard red), but there's no problems about it I'll make its color configurable in a update tomorrow or so (I'll write here as usual). let me know if you still particularly miss something else.

later guys
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

alright, server is actually freezing (not only lagging) for 10-20 seconds regularly after some minutes btw. - it goes away but i think some players have a time out and other think their connection is lost and disconnect as it is displayed "connection interrupted".
Attachments
shot0037.JPG
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hey good morning

yes I know, I know viewtopic.php?f=17&t=44

server's company had some major incident past thursday (complete lost of electricity over the whole datacenter) and they are still recovering from that so I believe that things will take some time (not many) to stabilize and go as usual (if not even better than before), it has nothing to do with me or the server itself (I change nothing and the server is performing as usual) it has to do with the environment around it that is turbulent at the moment (think about that like if you would have another person in your house using your own internet with a broken computer trying desperately to fix, it's gonna affect you, he's gonna be downloading updates like crazy, switching cables, changing the wi-fi, resetting the router etc at other scale of course but here is not much different from that). anyways, thanks for report I wouldn't expect this problems to last more than today at most so let me know if the problem persists again and I'll leave them a notice so they can check it out and sort it in time, just in case I hard reset the server now (plugged/unplugged from the current).

see you and sorry for the inconvenience

PS: well just in case I just leave them a casual notice about this freezes now so they can also know if the problem persist I'll write them more seriously instead or just do something about it
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, I just pushed the usual file (unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3) with the requested updates so I added a cg_crosshairColor variable (default value 6, i.e. magenta) to change the crosshair color but note that here it just does take "standard" q3 color values (the ones you use in the chat for example, i.e. 1 = red) I believe that is what you was interested in not in alphas/gradients/blending etc etc so I believe that should do the job. by the way about this functionality note that it also requires cg_crosshairhealth set to 0 which by default is one to change depending on your health status.

in addition as a bonus I cleaned up also a bit the hud and removed all those I believe already unnecessary strings (I think that so far we all already know that a red armor is indeed a red armor or what that rocket launcher icon is so we don't need to be reminded of it all the time) and added ammo display overlayed on the weapon change window, in order to make this a bit more useful I also added the cg_weaponSelectTime variable (default vale 1.4 which was its default value, takes decimal values) to control how long to display this window in seconds (i.e. -1 = never, 86400 = "forever", my recommendation around 3.5).

well and basically I believe that that's it with the hud at least for now overall I found it a decent addition to the mod :) so as always redownload & replace and let me know if there's something you don't like or that you would prefer to be changed etc

as for the time stats tracking I'll work around that tomorrow (so it won't start tracking until monday, in short that's planned for this coming week more or less).

see you
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

Hi, you recommend using quake client v1.33 but within the last days I experienced a massive discrepancy between v1.33 and v1.36 again.

v1.33

1) Advantage: Hearing enemies is more precise. As I already mentioned I can nearly hear them 1 mile away, but it is also confusing when you are surrounded by many players.

2) Disadvantage: Moving and shooting lags like hell except for Railgun (and Shotgun, I guess), which even hits when the enemy has moved away from the targeted spot. This lagging behaviour leads to a constant blocking/stuttering when other players are moving within the same path. It also leads to an immense struggle in overall movement, esp. Lighthning Gun is laggy and rocket jumps often just don't work as the actual rocket shoot recognition seems to be interpreted some milliseconds later as the jump command. This lagging/stuttering makes it nearly impossible to shoot an enemy with rocket even with around 30ms.

v1.36

1) Disadvantage: The sounds are more clearer but often you first recognize an enemy when he is already 2 meters behind you.

2) Advantage: Overall movement is smoother. Lags are compensated somehow and weapons (esp. rocket jumps) work much better (but still not perfect). The rail recognition also is different from v1.33 - it seems slightly harder to hit.

I tested both with the unfreeze-pk3s.
newb.zi (stats · system)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

Hi tar,

what I notice. Whenever I connect certain net settings reset to a value I dislike. E. G. it automatically jumps back to maxpackets 100. I use 125 and then it feels much better (use bindings ^^).

I use 1.33 but I will check out 1.36, too.

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

@tar mmmmmm ok don't know weird never really happened to me like that (I mean that bad) nor I had knowledge of that, may be is a particular problem with your particular build/cpu combo, perhaps you could give a try to the other builds (specially the "fail-safe" generic build) and check if it does better for your pc, I mean just saying, I know 1.36 has some patches in that aspect and I still definitively had to do some job there for that UnFreeZe v1.1 release unfortunately due clearly overwhelming issues I finally missed the november date for the release so I preferred to do a break on that and this month I've been working some server code and related things and I'll still continue till finish it this month/next one or so, that final package I hope I can make this winter. anyways don't expect any ground breaking changes (it's basically the same just packaged) besides the usual slight adjustments I don't really see something like that going away but thank you for testing and feedback.

@dirk that's a server behavior, 100 is the recommended value, nevertheless you can just manually override it if you want as you do.

see you guys