Autobalance out of balance

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
FFF
User lv3
User lv3

Autobalance out of balance

Post by FFF »

Hello there and Mary Christmas and happy New Year :)
I've beeen playing this game for like 4 months now, but what have I found for the last 2 months more or less is quite strange and unpredictable autobalance. Even today there was like 9 v 9 points out of ten for the teams, when suddenly I was moved for the last round to the other team (I was third best shooter in my team), which is quite weird. In general I (and many other players from what I have read on the game chat) think there is something wrong with this autobalance script, and that it was actually better before than now. Is there any chance for any improvements of the subject, sooner or later ? I would appreciate that :)
Kind regards.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Autobalance out of balance

Post by tar »

I would also recommend again to change the respawn settings. They are obviously not random.

On a NEW round more than 60 % of my respawns are in the midst of the enemy players and NO one from my team around (I am trapped). Thanks to the actual zerg spawning settings itself which does affect my whole team except me (which has to be a fucking joke) there is no help to be expected as most of the players won't try to walk alone.

Solution: on a new round activate totally random respawns.

When unfrozen within a round (mostly at critical end match situations) I respawn more than 70 % on the WHOLE OTHER SIDE of the map where NOBODY IS. In the time I need to run to the other side where not only my mates are frozen but the enemy is aswell - he already had enough time to unfreeze his mates. Nice one.

Solution: on unfreeze activate respawn on the nearest spot of unfreeze location.
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

hey hello guys

@FFF well, short answer, as a matter of fact, I haven't touched the autobalance code in "months" (probably years already) so I can guarantee you 100% sure that there haven't been any changes to it on the last "months". typically when I conduct such changes I use to drop a message at the forum, there haven't been any such a messages. bottom line, don't trust any random bullshit people throw at the chat or anywhere else on the internet, if you were to do it then I would be Miroslav and life would be my son, wtf xD haters are gonna hate no matter what, if it wouldn't be some thing about the autobalance then it would be the lack of it, just leave them, there's no need to feed them anymore. that being said, long answer, yeah the "controversial" team changes on last point of a 9 tied game, yes it's true that (apparently) switch teams there doesn't make much sense as "it doesn't really make much of a difference", well that's as true as its opposite except for a reason, consistence. those changes actually do matter to set the teams for the next game as well as for the scoreboard so when the game ends people doesn't start crying that they lose because of uneven teams for example (as I explained it's in vain as no matter what people is gonna hate anyways, the only thing here is that at least they do it for no reason). after I set the master site here I spent a couple of weeks actually overseeing the autobalance thing and I can tell that I didn't really find any issue with it, most of the time it works as expected and it does a appropriate job. the only "issues" (limitations on reality) that I found where one when "half" the room (or a very large number of people, like 10 or more) connects or disconnects "instantly" (a.k.a. in a very short period of time like a few minutes, sometimes happens, this is a public server) the autobalance "breaks" and second when a underdog team wins a upset game on next game they typically get beaten badly (i.e. a non upset result). both are just "normal" situations, the former would require a equivalent large number of team changes to arrange the teams which is per design not acceptable (the number of changes must be kept at minimum or then haters would actually have a reason to hate) and the later it's just how it's, I mean, I'm nobody to call a team stronger than other one at any given moment, so if a team won, it won, no matter what, no matter who, no matter when, it won, it's unquestionable and they earned the right to prove themselves, the code can not go doing things like yeah you won but by luck, that would be disrespectful and a insult to the underdog team, it's the time which has to correct that, not the autobalance. and that's it, for the rest, I found no other issues, because even the times the game "crashed" (sometimes that the games have been 10:0 or almost) and that I had though that probably the autobalance code was breaking now that I actually dig it, I found out that it doesn't, even on those cases teams were relatively balanced, just happened that a particular team underperformed heavily which also happens (barsa/real madrid for example don't "tie", or almost, all the time, in fact, they beat each other by a +3 difference, 3/4:0 or more, most often than not). so anyways I still know of a couple of minor tweaks here and there for the autobalance code to probably add at some time in the future (definitively later than the sooner) but that's it, doesn't expect any large adjustments beside that.

@tar also as a matter of fact tar, I can guarantee you 100% sure that there's nothing on the code that makes your spawn different from the rest, so it just comes to a matter of probabilities and although some bad spawns can and does happen as maps aren't that "huge" (it's no possible, it makes no sense, to spawn 10 players in the same room) I think that probably your 60% of ugly spawns is a overestimation. about the second situation I think that probably the code spawn you there that time to ensure precisely that you spawned far from the enemy which I actually think that is a good thing to everybody. about spawn you near where you was frozen, well I think that although not all the time it's probably the most common situation already, but don't think that it's a miraculous thing either, spawn near your frozen location all the time would probably lead to over crowded locations and weird situations beside make the game much more predictable and easier, none of that very good things. anyways, that being said as with previous point, yes, I still know of a couple of thing that could be done better and that I will definitively look up to probably later than the sooner but that's it, don't expect much more beside that.

yeah, Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everybody.
FFF
User lv3
User lv3

Post by FFF »

Ok, I see. Thanks for clarification than :)
Zealot
User lv3
User lv3

Post by Zealot »

Can we just make it the last to join the winning team gets auto-shuffled?

Today I was in first, my team (red) was up 9-7. Someone on blue disconnected at the start of the last round because they were going to lose the map (or for whatever other reason). I end up getting switched to blue, even though I had been on red since the start and was largely responsible for the red team being up 9-7. Does that seem fair at all to you? Because it seems like a raw deal.

Taking the 1st place player and moving them from the winning team to the losing team in the last round isn't accomplishing the intent. You're punishing someone who did good for up to 18 rounds by making them the first to be moved after someone on the other team rage quits the last round. And with the server configuration set as it is (i.e., only the losing team spawns at 200/100), that 1st place player isn't going to be able to overcome all of the handicaps you've levied against winning teams for consecutive rounds.

If you're trying to balance it so it's nice and pretty at the end, please move the last person to join, not what's best for 'ELO' or skill balance. Because if it's the last round, the outcome is pretty much already established, due to the handicaps you've placed on round winners.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

that's exactly (guy with lowest joining time gets moved when needed) how it's at my Open Arena server here (which btw it's what I used as the basis/foundation/test before going for the real deal), I don't think that it's necessary to elaborate that that's a flawed and clearly inferior solution. while something as simplified as that can work for a very casual 24/7 dedicated map ctf server (where other algorithms could pose other complications of their own that I'm not gonna discuss here) it's obvious that for this it would be a total killer.

and btw while I understand and acknowledge your frustration by reading your post it didn't even look like such bad of a move to me. if I'm not wrong I've got the impression that probably the guy who quit was the other team top (or almost top) player that was also largely responsible for keeping the balance and therefore giving the circumstances it had to be replaced by other player of similar skill.