new host unfreeze.fpsclasico.de under construction

UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: new host unfreeze.fpsclasico.de under construction

Post by adminless »

well I think that finally after two weeks the movement has been a success as I could check these last days and mainly all the net job is complete already what is left are just the web services which are a different story (and that I've already started while doing this btw so probably just another week approx). the only notable "issue" is that obviously as the server was physically moved away from these locations, south-west Europe, and more into the central European zone (which obviously makes it more fair overall not just for that region) some users complained about it. well giving this circumstance and seeing that some are already successfully using it finally I decided to let the actual peering from the old route available for some more time (at least a few months) as it was already paid for it and that's currently the best use I can give to those services. so if you come from south-west Europe you can try connecting from the former ip, 217.182.45.102, and that should guarantee you just a +6/7 ms increment from previous host (try pinging both locations for example and see which does better).

I won't advertise this ip for the servers (not I plan to, initially at least) to not confuse people yet even more (that would mean a +20 ms approx for most) so it will just stay as some private alternative for the people at the forums and additionally it's possible that I also add it at the new ioQ3v6 private master server.

well, that's all for now, enjoy and have fun.

PS: also note that to avoid confusions for the alternative south-west low latency ip there's no dns available you have to access it directly.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

adminless wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 21:42 I won't advertise this ip for the servers (not I plan to, initially at least) to not confuse people yet even more (that would mean a +20 ms approx for most) so it will just stay as some private alternative for the people at the forums and additionally it's possible that I also add it at the new ioQ3v6 private master server.
well there you have the south-west low latency routes displayed at the new ioQ3v6, that's why it's so important to get it and actually use it to find the servers as that way you won't miss anything. also keep in mind a few things on that screenshot, mine is just a extraordinary extreme case (I don't live on west Europe, I live right at the Atlantic ocean, i.e. west-most) so it's not normal to see such a difference, also my ipv6 was broken at the time and I was messing around with some tunnels :P and also note two things that to really see a difference you need to refresh the list a couple of times and that the values show there are just estimates not mean to be that accurate just to show a coarse difference. and as a last note don't forget that those routes will only help those on south-west Europe nothing more.

well, that's all, probably some time in the future I'll add support at the server to print you from what route you're connecting but just other day today between that new ipv6 security thing and polishing it off these low latency routes I had more than enough.
Attachments
lowlatency.png
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

adminless wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 0:31 well, that's all, probably some time in the future I'll add support at the server to print you from what route you're connecting but just other day today between that new ipv6 security thing and polishing it off these low latency routes I had more than enough.
ok guys, easy, finished. simple just added yesterday (but it didn't take effect until this morning as it requires a reboot) display of the low latency south-west ip once in-game so from now onward the server will print you the the low latency shout-west ip when connecting trough it instead of the real one as you can see on the pictures that way you don't get mess up. also added the linked routes to master.fpsclasico.de for quick monitoring of the link status (i.e. that it's actually working) and quality (btw notice twice the linking time cost there). in addition I also finally tagged the server version as v6 (Q3 1.32b.v6) now as to stand out the ipv6 support (???, at the moment, servers at the new ioQ3v6 browser and detectable in-game as you can see on the attached ipv6 screen).

ok, so this finally makes it, this actually more than finishes off all the UnFreeZe server related job here at least for the new season (i.e. 8-9 months). like I said I think I ended up basically doing all I ever thought off about server stuff and probably even a bit more. I obviously had in mind (and planned of course) the dual protocol thing (ipv6/ipv4) for this season but to be honest the dual network support was something I only had considered as a extraordinary emergency measure should everything broke badly, so now have integrated both at the same time is definitively a great feat. at this point, I hope that I'm not wrong, that I obviously can be, but I have the feeling and my estimation is that the biggest (and definitively not the only one but the biggest one) threat for the project at this time is no other than myself (i.e. that I make a mistake and I break something), I have the impression that finally with this season changes the project has became really dependable only on itself which is a great thing.

now to summarize the whole long thread to the people I'll give a mini connectivity resume here. so, in simple and straightforward words do not fuck with the low latency south-west ip (217.182.45.102) unless you know what you're doing (i.e. you're from Italy/the Iberian peninsula and perhaps some parts of France or using Orange on this region or the main route is horribly broken for you atm) and if you have ipv6 connectivity do not fuck with ipv4 unless you know what you're doing (i.e. your ipv6 and/or your particular ipv6 route is broken) and always use ioQ3v6 as much as possible (current ioQ3v6 UnFreeZe package, ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-prototypeA.zip) that's all with this thread in a nutshell. in addition I'll also break it in a "extended" "network map" here to hopefully clear this up the best possible for everybody (from most relevant region to less relevant region):
  1. CIS/Balkania (include the middle east too): ipv4 connectivity, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (85.10.197.106), generally works best at least on most populated and popular areas, however surprisingly it has been found that on some far remote and less populated areas from this region the specific south west route, 217.182.45.102, may provide better connectivity, as ipv6 connectivity is largely unavailable on this region.
  2. Central Europe: ipv6/ipv4, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (2a01:4f8:a0:5363:85:10:197:106 / 85.10.197.106), will work similarly although ipv6 is clearly preferably if available.
  3. North Europe: ipv6, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (2a01:4f8:a0:5363:85:10:197:106), is largely available on this region and is known to work better in most cases if ipv6 is not available then go for the usual main ipv4, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (85.10.197.106).
  4. South-West Europe (specially orange): test between the main ipv4, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (85.10.197.106), and the specific low latency route for this region, 217.182.45.102, if the difference is minimal (most cases) then go for the former if the difference is significant (fewer cases, probably most notably Italy, France/Iberia Orange and some far remote zones from Iberia) then go for the later as ipv6 connectivity in this region is typically still unavailable.
  5. North Africa: low latency south-west ipv4, 217.182.45.102, as needless to say there's no ipv6 usually available at this region.
  6. North American East Coast: ipv6, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (2a01:4f8:a0:5363:85:10:197:106), if it's available (surprisingly not even always the case in this region) if not then test between the main ipv4, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (85.10.197.106), and the specific low latency route for the south west euroepan region, 217.182.45.102, if the difference is minimal (most cases) then go for the former if the difference is significant (fewer cases, probably most notably just from Canada) then go for the later.
  7. South Africa (include Central Africa): principally the main ipv4, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (85.10.197.106), although on some instances it may also be worth to give a try at the low latency south-west European ipv4, 217.182.45.102, and see if there's any significant difference, needless to say there's no ipv6 usually available at this region.
  8. Other Regions (include South America and the Caribbean and Asia and the Pacific): not available (although it's still always possible to occasionally find someone from these regions) as these locations can access other better services for their region.
well and that's it, I hope that helps, but overall note that that's just a general recommendation as of the Sunday 7 of October of 2018 after spending some days testing the different most notable routes at the moment, it doesn't necessarily mean that it stays as absolute truth for every single route at every single network from every single location and at any given time in the present and/or in the future, it's just a starting point and just that a general guideline and overall unless you really know what you doing it's definitively the safest option and the way to go (as I dreadfully saw yesterday a few "smart-ass" guys from balkania virtually doubling their ping for using the "new" "low latency", yeah for other region, ip without disregard for their location).

done, now I go rest some while this stabilizes, I don't want any more (major) interruptions, and for the next week I hope I get moved the board and the rest of the stuff and then I move on into this season UnFreeZe client game mod version (just a few things nothing dramatic like here) and add other servers besides this.

have fun and if some one still have issues and/or questions just feel free to drop them here or start a thread about it.
Attachments
ipv6.jpeg
ipv4sbg.jpeg
ipv4nbg.jpeg
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw guys little update here again, this time, this morning finally while "working" (scheming so far) on the web services I came to the conclusion that the best idea for the low latency south-west route was to make it publicly available rather than just keep it "private" (i.e. not advertised) only for the forum users or the mouth to mouth as I basically understood that there was no reason for that, both routes will just pop up as usual and then only two outcomes can happen, one is that the player have no idea of what's going on and therefore he won't care very much about the possible non optimal route or second that the guy really understand the situation and then can choose the best for him and also the in-game browser should do the rest and in time things should gravitate towards a equilibrium.

so in addition, since it looks like it's gonna stick at least for this season (if not for the long run as I'm scheming to park the former domain there for a multi domain setup too, I just have a terrible headache so far xD), I also came up with a dns for this route, so now whoever wanna connect trough the low latency specific south west route can do it by the unfreeze.adminless.ovh (and freefun.adminless.ovh too, well as you can read at the master) dns which actually makes a lot of sense to make a difference between the two networks and help establish a stronger internet presence.

finally just as a remainder here if you really make use of the low latency route (or just overall wanna help with the economical costs of the project) I would strongly advise you to contribute with some money as you can do here, any amount counts.

nothing more, I sincerely hope that this is final update here for this task.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well just a little note here as reflected on the board announcement, recently I detected a couple of noticeable cases of people using cl_timenudge to positive values hence adding in-game simulated latency which is actually very bad. first of all people shouldn't mess with cl_timenudge at all as that's mainly just a debugging thing to simulate different latency for testing purposes, but even so as some folks got used to it, let's just leave it however never set it to anything positive as that's add in-game simulated latency which is actually quite a bad thing, therefore please for best results ensure that you don't have your cl_timenudge variable set to anything positive and in particular a value of "0" is strongly advised (although not strictly enforced for historical reasons). if I notice that the issue spreads or persists in the next days it's likely that I temporally enforce a value of 0 server side for like a week or so to mitigate the issue and get rid of it.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw as a final fancy addition here notice that I finally added a timestamp to the server name in order to make it harder (not impossible but harder) to copy and to keep track on when the server was last scanned by third party sites and ensure the real time frame of the results and removed the already outdated adminless.ovh spam stuff that I personally always hated with a passion (but that was there as proof of authenticity and to make the server stand out). to be honest, I think it turned out a pretty neat and useful feature and that now the server name finally looks cool :D

PS: btw note to help with the transition it will still print out the https://forum.fpsclasico.de thing for today as well as the timestamp.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

btw just as a remark this time mention that over the weeks a couple of ipv6 connectivity issues have been reported however all of these have been investigated and no server side ipv6 connectivity related issue has been identified (in fact, nothing changed from the start know working setup), in all the events the server ipv6 connectivity has been tested and verified to be working without issues since the start so most of these times these have just been client side related ipv6 connectivity issues. given the fact that ipv6 it's still early on most isp's deployment this is still normal (casually, from time to time at least, if it becomes recurrent/frequent then report it to your isp) and in most cases it's just "fixed" by refreshing the connection (which basically just equivales to unplug and then plug back again your router). in addition remember that as well as there's "ping -6" to test ipv6 latency there's also "tracert -6" (ex. tracert -6 unfreeze.fpscasico.de) to test how far your ipv6 connectivity goes, so make sure to check both as well as external sites like google.com for example to rule out problems and get a better view overall. also remember that only the fpsclasico.de route is ipv6 capable the former, south west low latency adminless.ovh route is not ipv6 capable (it's not worth it).

for the rest nothing more hopefully the timenudge message seemed to reach most people and the problem with it went away and most people seemed to have catch up the appropriate dual network for them already so things starting to really look nice and clean here after around a month of the migration. finally only mention without intention to spam you or anything that there's still a couple of guys from Poland that already have ipv6 connectivity but aren't using it, this is unfortunate as some ipv4 routes from Poland have been found to be not always optimum (or at least improvable to some extend) and therefore they are effectively neglecting literally a solid 10 ms decrease. this shows off why it's so important and recommended to use the latest ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-prototypeA.zip so you don't miss this kind of (important I think) things.

also as a general recommendation in case someone it's affected and then it may be interested it has been found that currently the best verified connectivity from Poland so far it's from the netia isp. for reference: https://www.netia.pl/oferta-dom/internet.html
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

fernandinho1337 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 18:39can you tell me which ISPs you have checked?
ok, finally this week I've been going trough almost all the server routes much more thoroughly so I came up with a complete "global" (from where the server is accessible, i.e. no south america for example) list of checked well know wired (i.e. non mobile) isp's as you can see at the announcements category of this sub-forum here so I think that people should take a look at the list just to get an idea of how server connectivity goes on their region.

as appointed there, it's important to note that that list is by no means exhaustive (there's like hundred of thousand's ips's) and that therefore it does not even imply that every single packet at every single given moment from every single location from any of those listed is absolutely the very single best guarantee and that absolutely no other single isp would ever even come close. NO, you could get those very same, or perhaps under some circumstances even better, results from any other local isp or even from your own current provider so please bear that in mind at all times and understand that list just as a reference of isp's to consider/check nothing more.

in fact, for that list I just added those biggest isp's know to have the most direct connectivity with the server and that provide end-user service so it doesn't include any (unless I got something wrong, I can not even read myself most of the languages in the continent) mobile or business providers. I also tried to stick to direct providers as much as I could on that list and stay away from re-sellers/third party/subsidiaries providers as obviously there's no quality guarantee on the long run for them (yeah, a re-seller could link trough a top quality provider one season and then change to a garbage network the next or a subsidiary can get heavily reduced after a rough season for example, things like that happens all of the time with these kind of providers) but like I said this doesn't imply that you can not do any better with some of them or even with your own current provider, keep that in mind (I could really make that list much larger trust me on that).

ok, that being said that leads us to the point of this post, so as can be inferred from the list server has premium central/north European (includes Russia) connectivity (as usual with ipv6 preferred over ipv4) and definitively quality connectivity elsewhere where the server is available. the only notable countries not directly listed, Portugal, Belgium, Ceska republika, Magyarorszag, Shqiperia, Ellada and United Kingdom can just access it through the "global" (to some extend) providers, Telefonica, Liberty Global or Vodafone which are available there. surprisingly Spanish connectivity turned out to be better than expected with basically nearly all the most notable providers directly supported (Jazztel, Telefonica, Vodafone) so I can tell now that the low latency south west route isn't even really worth on this region contrary to as initially suggested (and as most people from there had noticed already). France/Italia connectivity is best served through the low latency south west route, unfreeze.adminless.ovh (217.182.45.102), no surprises here, the reality is that this route is so optimized for this region that it's virtually impossible for any other entity to compete on this region therefore I didn't even bother in digging it up anymore, France/Italia just use unfreeze.adminless.ovh (217.182.45.102) and unless issues or North Africa that should be all the use for this route.

now coming to the other side of the map, east Europe, in particular south east Europe (in the north there's no really such difference), as mentioned previously one of the reasons that motivated the server migration was to improve the service on this important region and while this was so on the paper as reported on practice the result was more mixed/the same on average basically and here now it's why. the server obviously count with strong direct presence (better than the previous one) on this region (as can be see on the ips's list, there's no doubt about that) however for some absurd reason it has been found that it has some routing defects most notably from former state owned monopolists on center (not peripheral) balkania and Ukrayina areas that obviously represent a important part of this region. probably this is just the consequence of the endless wars and conflicts (of any kind like for example commercial) on this region but nevertheless this is something that it should never had happened in the first place and that definitively it should never happen ever again under any circumstance so even if not necessary (server has good well known direct connectivity on this region anyways and it will probably even improve more on the future) I just added on past days another low latency route but this time for the south east, balkan.unfreeze.xyz (149.154.152.230), just to be safe as an alternative only for these or similarly broken cases from this region nothing more.

so that's it, I feel like now this dual-protocol/triple-network setup has turned into some sort of ultimate kind of level UnFreeZe server setup and there's really nothing more meaningful left to do about it, this now should cover it all up.