UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Re: new host unfreeze.fpsclasico.de under construction

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi

thanks for info

i can confirm for sure when i see the connection/ loading screen it shows an IPV6-stylish IP and not the IPV4-version.

best regards
Last edited by fernandinho1337 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi

could you consider allowing/ enabling pmove_fixed for players? i think we should run the game on 200fps and 100 maxpackets for best net settings. but ingame physics change a bit because it is fps related (you can jump less high and in consequence less wide). if pmove was enabled we could emulate 125fps via pmove_msec set to 8. maybe it would be helpful giving everything the same feeling and enabling the same physics (and also avoiding competetive disadvantages).

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

hey hello

there was a few months ago a big discussion about that topic here (even involving you :P) so long story short server does not rely on pmove anymore (even if you would set it would go ignored), it uses modified improved physics settings with several corrections for that matter instead after about a decade of tests, thus they can be called complete for good after all, and I not gonna change/start messing with them again.

well yesterday I was cleaning up the old servers and putting them to work while they don't terminate, let's hope this evening I go finishing the new host (at least the part concerning this) and probably let's see if finally I can launch the server at the new host this weekend, I think I finally came with a plan for that :D so we'll see, I'll let you know.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi adminless
i somehow totally forgot about this :-D
so no need to change it

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, guys is done, job complete, new stats sites, https://unfreeze.fpsclasico.de and https://freefun.fpsclasico.de, are up and running for each server respectively and server has already been running for quite some time already without any issue and it looks like more people dropped to test it, ipv6 hasn't been tested so much (just another guy) but ipv6 isn't that big anyways yet (ipv6 usage of this site is like under 15% approx so) so this should suffice. then let's see if tomorrow on the morning I can finally do the switch if there's no many people early in the morning and everything goes alright, if I can't make it in time then I'll just re-schedule it for the Sunday. since this time I switched companies I can not carry the main ip but I finally simply decided to re-route the traffic from the old server to the new one at least temporarily the first weeks so it shouldn't be a mayor issue once it's done. I didn't want to resort to this kind of ugly tricks but I believe that there's not gonna be any other option and also in case someone gets really ugly routed he can always resort to connect to the old ip at just a cost of +6ms. then remember starting tomorrow please connect to the new host, unfreeze.fpsclasico.de (port 27961 for the dm version, this is, this season UnFreeZe2 replacement), and try both ipv4 or ipv6 and use the one who works better for you (generally this is ipv6 but it can vary from network to network and also if it happens that you already have ipv6).

so that's all for now I go rest for tomorrow, I'll go posting more details and updates as it happens.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, link from old host to new host set up correctly and old dns already updated too. let's hope that there's no any huge issues for today. so it's done now server moved, I'll go documenting this a little and reviewing in the next few days and after this settles I hope for the next week I can have all the adminless.ovh related stuff moved into the new fpsclasico.de domain at least the web related services.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi adminless

i am now using ioquake 1.36 and ipv6. it works great. now after some "competitive" playing on unfreeze server i notice how different everything feels.

it super smooth. shaft is now deadlier than ever before. sound is somewhat different. i am not sure if it is the server or if it is because of this new ioquake version. i defintely have openAL activated. i dont know if 1.33 did not support it or was different but i can tell for sure there is something about it. besides there are lots of new commands which i had a brief look at but probably wont use any of these. overall i feel like i need to get used to playing on this server now because its so much different with ioquake 1.36 but i am happy about the very stable connection. i now use dsl only and have super constant ping 38 which is good for me.

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

haha yeah I know but don't get too much used to it as I hope that by the next month I get finished this season good old fashioned ioquake3 builds. yes there's plenty of different (in my opinion wrong for this particular use) things on newer versions of ioquake3 if you were using my builds even if they are newer they're minimalist so from the new ones at least they are as close as possible to the good old fashioned ones, but even so the input/output routines (i.e. sound for example) are different so.

ok, so far this seems to have do it flawlessly to be honest I didn't expect twenties on the first days (I wasn't expecting a death server but more on the middle loads) so props to you guys, thanks for the support. overall I've been monitoring and it seems quite good, aggregated average ping in-game client side upped a bit from 55.7 to 60.1 which is not so nice and a bit higher than my calculations but well this is more of a long term investment/move for the future than from right this moment, I'm sure that with time some routes are going to go improving in addition to the ipv6 network coverage, so initially I foreseen that server full potential is still yet to come and furthermore as pointed out before that's just a small trade off for the big benefits behind the new host.

well now I go document some nice finished updates around here and with all this I believe that what it comes to the UnFreeZe thing for this season it should be complete and running at least for another year more, guarantee :D
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

adminless wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 19:00overall I've been monitoring and it seems quite good, aggregated average ping in-game client side upped a bit from 55.7 to 60.1 which is not so nice and a bit higher than my calculations but well this is more of a long term investment/move for the future than from right this moment, I'm sure that with time some routes are going to go improving in addition to the ipv6 network coverage, so initially I foreseen that server full potential is still yet to come and furthermore as pointed out before that's just a small trade off for the big benefits behind the new host.
well and it seems that new host has already catch up with the previous one after only one day of use. just for the record report here that after being digging metrics of the new host after successful yesterday session the aggregated in-game average ping from client side directly lowered to 56.4 which is basically only marginally worse/virtually the same as old host and that is even because around 10 players (barely a 5% of the load), 3 of them well know that I'll try to reach, were still connecting from the old host (meaning an fixed +6 ms extra cost) if it weren't for that I'm pretty sure the average value it would have beat the previous value and things are just seeming to start to go up, I believe that probably this could make it to the low 50's as I was monitoring yesterday in real-time from the new master site it was rare to see a +55 in-game average.

also the load was beautiful, 192 different players (definitively on the high end of historic loads for the server) and the game engagement it was an all time high at least for the last few months. ipv6 use at the server is still very low but at least it made a third user (for who ping basically decreased like 30 ms between new host and ipv6 btw), but 3/4 regular ipv6 players to start with was my initial estimation so that's also normal. of the routes, south/west Europe was slightly disfavored between expectations as it couldn't be otherwise as the server was physically moved around 350 kms to the east and around 700 kms of network distance (which equals to +7/8 ms) but nothing dramatic, centro Europe/Balkania was generally favored as expected, surprisingly north Europe was generally favored above expectations and the only issue so far has seen to be the cis region that was supposed to be generally favored by the change (it was moved to the east, and nearly directly connecting to most cis nodes, and certified by most notable routes) but instead in reality it ended up giving more of mixed results between favored and disfavored clients nevertheless on average without many changes and anyways I'm virtually pretty much sure that as soon as this region grow a little and start to adopt ipv6/make improvements on its connectivity things are just going from here upwards.

so that's all, long story short, I'm pretty much satisfied with the operation and overall it even exceeded my estimations so I still have lot of other stuff to move (like this site for example) but what it comes to this, job complete.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

can you tell who is using ipv6? i told a few ppl about it and i know princess wanted to test it but she was not sure if it actually worked.

i know she has a ping decrease of like 20ms due to more central server location and she tried to lower it even more with IPV6. from what i saw IPV6 did not work for her or it did not help her decrease her ping so can you see if she successfully utilized the ipv6-connection?

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes, the third person that I was talking about and the one that surprised me was in fact princess and as I could saw from the server it even lowered her ping yet even more into the low 60's (like another -7/8 ms gain from ipv4). tell her, as I told you to check on the server info that prints when you connect to the server that it shows a ipv6 address and to try with my builds first preferably I would say. the other person regularly using ipv6 already so far is noobenson, another possible candidate is also kratos (devil) and he will benefit greatly from it but like whoever speaks with him, better leave him alone do his thing. and so far that's it, I know from the forum that there's also another possible candidates but not that much so far.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

ok thanks for info

i heard from some players they got a virus detection warning from your build (so did i). so i guess that is why players like princess opted to use a different version. when i see her online next time i will tell her though.

best regards
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

1) Tried to use ioquake3-intel.x86_64.exe:
- Needed SDL264.dll -> replaced with the new version.
- Needed other OpenGL version -> do not know what to do.

2) Tried to use ioquake3_v1.36.exe:
- Connected to server.unfreeze.ga (guess IP4 mode) -> frames were really slow now.
- Tried \net_enabled 7, \vid_restart (as there is no \net_restart) and \connect -6 unfreeze.fpsclasico.de -> failed, see screenshot
- Tried to connect to 2a01:4f8:a0:5001:85:10:203:89 -> failed: "awaiting challenge ... connecting to" stays forever.

Mh!?
Attachments
q3err.png
newb.zi (stats · system)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

tar wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 16:28 1) Tried to use ioquake3-intel.x86_64.exe:
- Needed SDL264.dll -> replaced with the new version.
- Needed other OpenGL version -> do not know what to do.

2) Tried to use ioquake3_v1.36.exe:
- Connected to server.unfreeze.ga (guess IP4 mode) -> frames were really slow now.
- Tried \net_enabled 7, \vid_restart (as there is no \net_restart) and \connect -6 unfreeze.fpsclasico.de -> failed, see screenshot
- Tried to connect to 2a01:4f8:a0:5001:85:10:203:89 -> failed: "awaiting challenge ... connecting to" stays forever.

Mh!?
1) Same Problem here.
2) Have you tried the version from a) adminless or b) the one I posted? Option B should defintely work. I have simply adjusted my shortcuts to start the game and it works.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

fernandinho1337 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 16:352) Have you tried the version from a) adminless or b) the one I posted? Option B should defintely work. I have simply adjusted my shortcuts to start the game and it works.
You mean from https://ioquake3.org/get-it/?

Just re-downloaded it, installed ioquake3-q3a-1.32-1.x86.exe and afterwards ioquake3-1.36-3.1.x86.exe.

Testing...
Last edited by tar on Mon Sep 24, 2018 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
newb.zi (stats · system)