UnFreeZe Game Servers News forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

new host unfreeze.fpsclasico.de under construction

Post by adminless »

hey hello guys

well after such a long break is finally good to be back and get something done here. first I want to apologize for the last months of low activity (basically just active maintenance) but unfortunately as usual I got lost on just way too many details (I started to "finish" off some ioquake3 builds but I just tried to do way so many things that I ended up by doing nothing at all and same with the new mod I talked about I also started to work on it but then I got so ambitious that ended by dropping it too and after all that I just needed a break because it was clear I had lose all the focus I wasn't going anywhere on that path plus furthermore last months I also was doing paid job for a isp company) and thus I failed at deliver the stuff I had in mind, sorry about that.

so that being said, let's focus on the task at hand now. finally this month I started to resume operations here and of imminent action was to do something about the (half now) death UnFreeZe2 server and at least migrate it into another spare host I had for better consolidation of the infrastructure and coverage of the region. well, now the good news are as I was starting to work on this task I was reviewing hosting options as usual from season to season and I finally got my hands on a incredible deal that is really going to step up the game so I'm setting up now a top of the line 2017 enterprise level server in the Bavaria state from the number 1 German hosting company (which then means switching companies from the current one) to integrate all the services and a new (finally) "decent" (recognizable) domain all at a much more appealing price.

then in the next months I'll go migrating services from here to there, I'll go updating this post and letting you know as it goes, so far let's focus and start with the current task at hand and first things first I started by placing UnFreeZe2 in this case I really put UnFreeZe1 there directly so in the next few days both are going to be competing against each other and is going to be interesting to see how they do and what different clients they attract. this is still not a definitive migration, it could fail, it definitively shouldn't as the difference in infrastructure is just overpowering, but at the end of the day routes are going to be different and you never know so I would really appreciate if some of you drop by there and test it.

the new host more or less it should do same or nearly the same although is evident that every time you move something from its place, unavoidably, it's going to bring some changes too, so overall from what I've been digging up in general I expect the following scenario, clients from south-west and west Europe slightly disfavored, from north Europe virtually the same, from central Europe, the Balkans and the cis regions overall favored and finally best in class on in-land Germany (specially Bavaria). anyways in any case either favorable or dis favorable I'm just talking about differences in the order of just a few msecs more or a few msecs less almost in any case under 5 msecs variance in absolute terms, which should never be such a big deal.

also this new host from what I've been testing so far has better ipv6 connectivity than ipv4 (the ipv6 connectivity on the current one while exists like on this forum for example, falls short behind the ipv4 connectivity which is another point in favor of the new host for the future) for which the general recommendation is to connect via ipv6 to the new host, most routes I tested (the most important ones) are cleaner that way. to be able to play via ipv6 you need a updated ioquake3 build you can grab and ask for help (in case you need it) at this other thread here and you're good to go.

additionally to get started without losing too much time some 64 bits builds of latest (September 2018) vanilla ioquake3 code were created, mostly just as experimental, testing, extra builds but never intended to be used as regular and recommended options as they have been well proven to be very broken overall (driver, input/output problems and probably even more) but since they were created and perhaps some one is just curios about them, it was decided to leave them here just as reference/sample nothing more. then if that's the case, you can proceed from one of the links down bellow to get the one appropriated for you:
just get the one for your respective operative system (linux/windows) and your cpu and note that the windows version require to get the SDL264.dll and place it along the exe too. but I remark once again these are totally unrecommended and they have been left here just as samples/reference, the only recommended and well know good builds are the new ioQ3v6 builds at this other thread here, furthermore these extra 64 bit builds aren't even supported here by any means other than yourself, so please keep that in mind.

ok now to the point note that to connect to a host via ipv6 as explained at the ioQ3v6 thread all you have to do is just open the in-game ioQ3v6 browser and look for servers and then connect as usual, nothing more. if you see on the list servers with a protocol ??? column that means that you have ipv6 if on the other hand you can only see UDP protocol marked servers then that means that unfortunately as the majority so far you only have ipv4.

additionally now most network commands support the '-4' and '-6' arguments to differentiate between the different internet protocols versions, like for example "\connect -6 unfreeze.fpsclasico.de" to connect directly to the new host via ipv6. by the default to ensure ipv4 compatibility the dns names should resolve into ipv4 address so if you access the server directly via command and you already have ipv6 don't forget to add the '-6' argument to your command. once you got in-game you can confirm that you really connected trough ipv6 just by looking at the server info the server prints you when you connect and check for what ip it gives you that you're connecting to, if it's a "usual" ip then unfortunately you still connected trough ipv4 if it's a rare one with colons instead of dots then you got it right.

finally I drop you here the new ip's just in case some one wants to check them out/note them and with it this will be everything by now. let's see if also the next week I bring some new basic server without going all the way and slowly I go migrating (also updating to pre-2019 stuff) the rest of the services, I'll go letting you know as it goes here. see you and have fun.
  • hostname: unfreeze.fpsclasico.de
  • ipv4: 85.10.197.106
  • ipv6: 2a01:4f8:a0:5363:85:10:197:106
  • port: 27960 (default therefor optional)
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Re: new host unfreeze.fpsclasico.de under construction

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi adminless,

thanks for all these things. i tried to run ipv6 but cant get the exe file to run. it says unsupported opengl version (1.10), opengl 1.2 is required. i have the latest gpu driver and dont know what to do.

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

:/ well that's fancy latest ioquake3 bs breaking everywhere you know grr, that my friend is why among many other reasons the good old legacy 32 bit versions are and will always keep being the recommended ones, so, now you can either wait for me to add ipv6 support for the current well know and well proven ioquake3 builds, which unfortunately it's not gonna happen in the short term, I "will" (I mean, I plan to) but I don't wanna start to diverge that much from the current task at hand (and that is the hell of a task as I posted and that it's planned for months work already) not at least right now or alternatively you can try to fully uninstall and then install again your latest graphic driver and see if that fixes it. and note that by fully uninstalling and installing it again I don't mean just "reinstalling" it, I mean fully uninstall your graphic driver package, reboot, and then install it again from a download. also you're welcome to just test the whole thing with the current builds as I've seen that you just have done.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi

thanks for tipps. i checked forum and looked for other alternatives since nothing was working. seems like windows10/ nividia often have problems using some old opengl version. i have not found a good solution. tried various drivers for different windwos versions, compatibility mode and such. unfortunately i dont get this ioquake version to run so i stick to 1.33. but i guess its still good when i keep using that. i noticed btw that the ping to the new server is much worse for me (like 20ms) so telekom messes up my routing ago. still playable though. (i tried DSL only and DSL+LTE mode). it is really funny that i have good pings to many servers but not this one. as i said still playable so no complaint by me. i play whatever server the other players will go to anyways

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

damn, unlucky :/ well I hope that soon I get ipv6 going on the old well know build that we all love, but I don't think that is gonna happen any time before the next month or so. and also very unlucky I tested routes from your location/provider and found no problems, you should have something like under 30 ms ping, probably a few msecs better if by ipv6 plus in-land Germany support should be premium (I mean, it runs on the number 1 hosting company at Germany) so I don't know. anyways yes let's wait for more input by other guys and also not that I'm going to rush moving the server, it's no problem that at the moment the current server keeps running at where it's however one thing is clear the rest of the services (this site, the other servers and the new ones I'm working on) are definitively going to go there for the good or for the bad as that's with what I'm working now and also in time the intention is to integrate the UnFreeZe server there probably some time in the next month or so after more people knows about and I go completing that machine. so far it seems to be going in favor of the old host (not that I expected it other way after so much time) so we'll see.

anyways, also report about the aforementioned new server/UnFreeZe2 replacement that was in the limbo for so time, that hopefully finally announce that it's here after so much time and failed ideas/projects and so. so so time in this morning I've just started with a new FreeFUn ("clasico" too from the new fpsclasico.de servers line-up) at the 27961 port there (just one more above the default) at the same address as the new unfreeze so make sure to check it out. the literal connection info is as follow just in case someone wants to know:
  • hostname: freefun.fpsclasico.de
  • ipv4: 85.10.197.107
  • ipv6: 2a01:4f8:a0:5363:85:10:197:107
  • port: 27960 (required)
finally between all the suggestions/tests I came up with the impression that the best (and possibly only alternative) was simply to start the same well proven UnFreeZe server but on free for all mode instead, I think that overall is what is going to be most in tune with all the feedback/requests. nevertheless, let me elaborate a bit on this, first the idea was about a ctf server, well perhaps is just a little too late for that, the problem with that is first there's no so much of a ctf scene anymore and second and most importantly as with UnFreeZe2, the maps, for a ctf server to really be appealing you're going to have tu run custom maps that we all already know that are out of question here, so that would leave us only with the crappy/mostly demo a-like standard ctf maps on Quake III Arena which basically would make the server useless in no time. another possibility was to run ctf on non-ctf maps but again it wouldn't match the quality required to run a successful server here and that altogether also rules out the possibility of a freeze-ctf combo server. the tourney server idea was also discarded on the first place because is that it doesn't really add up anything solid for the cost (it doesn't compensate all the trouble just to run a few 1vs1 for a couple or three players overall). so after all that I tried to come up with a new rework mod from scratch with mixes a bit of everything (in line with the UnFreeZe mod) with "new" ideas, features and updates but like I mentioned on my early message I worked on that for a couple of whole weeks and ended up coming to the conclusion that once again it didn't worth the months (if not almost half a year between one things and another) of constant job to bring something new here that probably we wouldn't even know how it would do and that even for the most part it would end up being something very similar/marginally different from the current server, so like I said I ended up by discarding it altogether.

ok, now that you're put in details and have a better picture of what happened with that UnFreeZe2 replacement I talked about for many time what I finally concluded was that the best option for everybody was simply to start a UnFreeZe server on deathmatch mode. I believe that is what should work the best, it should adequate to those tourney version voices when in low loads, it should give a more dynamic game to those ctf request, it should also provide maximum playing time for those quick games and last but not least it comes already with all the goods, settings and rules of the well know and proven UnFreeZe set up. so that's it I'm sure it's not perfect and as polished as the UnFreeZe but so far I've been testing for a while and I feel like it should make it at least to start and that overall it's a great and meaningful addition that it should go a good way then just check it out and let me know your impressions or if you encounter problems.

then that's all for now, big apologize for the unacceptable delay in bringing up this new server but it definitively took me a while to clear all this up, like I said I don't feel like is about bring the first thing that comes to my mind here and overflow this with unnecessary stuff, I find it better to make meaningful additions instead and that's something that takes time, so let's hope this finally make it for that secondary server, check it out and let me know. see you by now.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

can you tell me which ISPs you have checked? i could switch my contract at some point in the future and i am looking for alternative ISPs anyways. maybe that would play into making my decision.

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I checked various routes from tier1 nodes (ex. centurylink, cogent, telia etc) from different locations (ex. munich, berlin, bucuresti, moscow, warsaw, stockholm etc) that at the end are the ones who are going to carry the traffic into the server and overall came to the conclusions I mentioned on my post. besides I even specifically checked DTAG Berlin (here as well as the other way around from the server) as well as pinging the most usual clients (ex. vodafone/orange, rustelekom, ukrtelecom, tesa etc) so I just don't know, I'm probably starting to think that there's either something broken big time with DTAG or with the wire that reaches your home, or probably just a mix of both. then it's hard to tell but typically Liberty Global (upc, sold under several brands on several different countries) uses to be a first choice and generally recommended, I've just heard that the corresponding upc part in Germany have just been bought by vodafone (probably to target DTAG, supposedly, dominance on that market) then perhaps that could be a place to start in case you're looking for an alternative. check if there's something that may suit you there:

-vodafone kabel offer: https://zuhauseplus.vodafone.de/internet-telefon/kabel/

I've been taking a look and the 100 mbit deal looks interesting to me in case fiber reaches your home if not you could still go for some old dsl deals like the 16/1 probably but preferably if you can I would suggest you to get your hands on some fiber even if that means having to invest some money in a new installation (as long as you plan to stay on your current home), at the end of the day, is a investment you're going to have to end up doing at some point and the difference is just too big.

well, I hope that helps you, so far it seems that just a couple of guys dropped by the new servers to test them out and nobody got it to connect via ipv6 yet, so we'll see.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

the problem with my connection is: i live in east berlin and up until a few years ago there very place i live there were no houses. so i believe we have copper cables to the dslam. and of course dslam to my home is copper again. so therefore i suffer from ADSL 16 (VDSL requires fibre to the DSLAM). usually if you have fiber until dslam u can get VDSL up to 50 or a 100 mbit even if dslam to house is copper (which is most of the times the case). i only get 16mbit and boost it up to 50 via LTE (router with a sim card). i noticed if i use the DSL+LTE (i can set up my router to use LTE only on certain devices) completely different routing. my ping is much better on unfreeze servers using the DSL+LTE routing (when actually it is only DSL) but when i switch to DSL only it changes my routing and thats when it gets messed up. with the new server its different though. it almost makes no difference at all. as i said i will keep on playing anyways and maybe its good for competeting that i have a higher ping. on unlagged rail clicks as usual no matter what ping. i only have to adapt for plasma and rocket so i guess i can do that. DTAG is currently improving its infrastructure which means i might have a better connection by april 2019. but they dont tell me up until 3 months in advance. in april i can decide on changing my ISP as my contract expires. so i guess i just sit here and wait for next year to see if there is something coming up. if not i can stick to dtag and i will be "ok" anyways.

*edit* if i do tracerouting i can tell: internet router to first hop is close to 30ms no matter what server. but then the new server is routed very stragenly and i get like 60 instead of 40ms. (you can see DTAG internal routing on OVH server is actually ok). this tracerouting can be seen when using DSL+LTE routing
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

thats from DTAG

you see the two pink areas. there is VDSL 100 MBIT available. where i live its only ADSL 16 :-D

i really chose the right spot to live. a year ago i moved and at my old place when DSL was set up the technician said he has never seen a connectivity as good as mine. now i moved for my family (wife and stepdaughter) and we r living in the worst place for gaming...oh well maybe i should spend more time with the lil one instead of worrying about 30ms of my life :-D
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yeah basically from what you tell me you're mess up big time, look I'm going to be honest with you on that situation no matter very much what you do, for the most part it doesn't matter whether you change company or not, it won't make that much of a difference as the wire is going to keep being the same and be sure that they are not going to invest tens of thousands of euros just to throw some nice fiber to your home, probably they will troll you big time if they just don't decline to serve you altogether, in few words, your connection is going to sucks anyways. therefor I would suggest to stay on DTAG as I believe the likelihood of improving those hubs is higher staying with them than through another company.

however there's a few things you could do (suggestions) anyways to try to improve the situation:

1) "first hop is close to 30ms" wtf dude?! are you being nated? is the address of that first hop in the 100.64.0.0-100.127.255.255 range? does the ip of your router coincide with your public address or is different? if yes then you're being natted (in few words your connection is being shared with typically three other clients) which plays a big part behind the importance to add ipv6 connectivity then either connect via ipv6 to get rid of the natting or ask DTAG to remove you from the nat (if possible, you can complain about this or just say for example that you have a security cam you want to access from the outside or any other thing). also know that besides traceroute there's also traceroute6 so you can rule out this or decide whether it suits you better ipv4 or ipv6 for your particular case.

2) let alone that dsl+lte crap, to be honest with you I don't even know how that's even capable of doing any good (for playing q3), I'd rather either stay on dsl only mode or if not I'll go for a independent lte only router (or for example just sharing my phone lte connection via usb tethering with my computer) but I will never mix up both.

3) 16/1 is more than enough to play Quake III Arena keep in mind that it was designed for 256 kbps broadband lines so adding up bandwidth is not going to help anything, what I would suggest it would be call DTAG and ask them to set a gaming profile on the dslam (there's one for low jitter) and perhaps may be even try lowering your connection profile.

4) if everything fails you can always just complain about low quality/unstable network and they should at least send you a technician to measure noise levels and signal powers in order to at least agility the infrastructure improvement.

anyways, I hope you have some luck, patience mate.

and ps: as far as I remember vdsl just requires you to be at less than 1.5 kms from the dslam any far from that and regular dsl2+ connections (i.e. 16/1) do better.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi

prolly u r right - i am f***ed :-D a lot of new houses (>100) have been built where i live so maybe they upgrade because they know people will use it.

1) I dont seem to be NATed. if i do IPV6 ping testing/ routing my ping is about 10ms then using ipv4. is that normal?
2) yes it is crap but it actually improves my connection (which tells u a lot about internet here)
3) i know it is more than enough. back in the days 2MBIT was enough for best connection quality and settings (maxpackets 125 didnt work with ,75mbit). but of course, i need 16-25mbit for streaming movies and stuff (netflix and such).
4) i can try doing that.

thanks for Infos

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes that's the point, if new houses have been built in your area they are going to have to make infrastructure changes for the very single reason that I doubt there's even enough wires already to server them all, so probably you may have luck on that, although it would be better if they were buildings instead of houses as they will be more concentrated instead of spread over a wide area.

1) yes and no, ipv4/ipv6 routes are different, that's the point about offering both, ideally they should be the same but in practice they very rarely are so a 10 ms variance (which definitively makes a difference already) is typical. however like I said, overall as generally observed (that as you may guess is just a general observation from most typical locations and not necessarily absolutely true for every single route on every single network from every single coordinate of the entire continental earth planet) ipv6 to the old host tends to be worse than ipv4 on most cases (that's why I didn't bothered in adding it there) while at the new host tends to be better than ipv4 (which is why among other reasons, like natting and access to a more modern network for example, I bothered in adding it this time there).

2) props for DTAG for selling something ugly on the paper but that it actually works in the reality.

3) ok, in few words if you're going to do something more than playing Quake III Arena with the recommended settings, browse optimized mostly static sites, send and receive mail, connect to a couple of irc servers and perhaps occasionally watch some hq (480p) YouTube videos from at most two devices then get fiber asap, probably that's the only real solution there for that use.

btw also for the record in case you want another alternative beside the pointed vodafone before as I found this morning it seems that the direct provider of Liberty Global in deutschland is this:

unitymedia deutschland: https://www.unitymedia.de/privatkunden/ ... omfort-60/

but from what you tell me I highly doubt they offer service at your location and at the end of the day after the vodafone purchase the only real difference between signing up with either of them it will mostly be on the conditions of the contract the network will end up being the same. I also heard in germany fiber infrastructure gets organized at small state level (ex. netcologne) but as far as I know there's no such thing as "berlinnet" yet so perhaps that becomes a solid alternative some time in the future. bottom line here just go with whatever company install new direct fiber infrastructure at your home and until then probably is better to stay on DTAG and don't get your hopes highs about changing the company.
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi adminless,

thanks for checking all that stuff.
1) well ok, i keep monitoring it.
2) yes, good job actually
3) unitymedia is not available at my place. i live like 100 metres away from availability :-D
and true, there is no berlinnet. berlin is not famous for good infrastructure i guess (heard about our 'new' airport or public transporting? :-D)

overall, my ping is better than most guys who play unfreeze so i shouldnt be complaining. its just a strong wish from a player's perspective to have like a ping close to zero at one time in my life (and actually using it) :-D

best regards
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

hi adminless,

I tried the following: I disabled LTE for my gaming computer and tried IPV6 routing to the new server. it pings 37ms super constant which is pretty good. so if you happen to make the old ioquakes (maybe ioquake 1.33) compatible with IPV6 it would really help me out a lot. (my earlier attempt was IPV6 with DSL+LTE when it was >50ms).

best regards

*edit* i did some googling and found this: https://ioquake3.org/get-it/

they have IPV6 support and it works well. i tested ur new server with ipv6 and ping was like 37-38 the whole time and the server felt really good. for some reason when i tested that ioquake version there was something i didnt like and i cant remember. but as it seems now that it is as good as it can get for me. i have DSL only super constant ping. if the ping would be a few ms lower it would be perfect but i dont complain

bottom line: IPV6 to new server is the best solution for me so i would be ready to transition to the new server :-D
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

yes I see you successfully connected with your proper clean osp 1.03a, new ioquake3 and your registered nick a couple of times this morning via ipv6, props for that, glad to see that finally someone, at least one, did tried it. btw to be sure could you confirm that the server displayed the right ip (this is the ipv6 counterpart) when connecting via ipv6 on the server info it prints out on the console when you connect? (I mean, I guess so, it should but just to be sure would be cool to confirm that)

so yes you see mate that's what I was talking about, you know, yes that's fine then :) like I told you a typical DTAG Berlin ping should be a little closer to 30 more or less but well given all the circumstances surrounding you (far east Berlin, low quality/availability network etc etc) a stable and clean 37/38 ms ping is, as you're noting yourself, as good as it's going to get under those circumstances. as a fancy alternative to toy with if you want to sort your ping out yet even more you can always try to cl_timenudge it out like -30. although this is totally unrecommended and it will only give you a fake (placebo) impression (never real) of a lower ping and probably it will completely fuck up your client's prediction code, many people gets used to it and it should lower your in-game lag feeling into the under 10 ms range approx.

yes, I know about those builds, those are supposed to be the "official" builds, well there's also plenty of other ioquake3 builds, versions and forks around there so grab the ones that do it for you, that's cool. I don't really quite understand why mines (which are supposed to be the very same this time) give you that error while theirs not but it's ok, it doesn't even really matter, it wasn't my intention to make some definitive builds just to have something well know there at hand to get going before getting into the real thing and make the proper ioquake3 1.33 ipv6 builds for the new server that it's what it's intended to follow after I finish with all the server related stuff (which can easily be 1/2 months), so glad you sort it out. so far mines will stick anyways as the "recommended" (aka available in reality) ipv6 builds here until a new proper 1.33 update nevertheless and for the long run as the 64 bit alternative.

so yes bottom line here is that is going to happen, slowly and progressively, but any time soon the server replacement, it seems the way to go in many aspects. I've been measuring several metrics this evening and although for example the aggregated average ping of all the current clients in the last two days from the old host side is 35.3 and it would have come to be 37.7 at the new host the number of hops to reach them for example will lower from 12 to 9 on average which is a much more relevant metric both in relative as in absolute terms (a 25% reduction at a under 10% cost meaning a much more reliable and less collided, aka stable, connection) than that 2.4 ms increase that even so I remark only apply to the current average not to everybody, neither to new potential players (the whole central, balkan and cis region will get generally favored), nor does it take into account the effect of the introduction of ipv6 at the new host and its likeness over ipv4 (I can't compare as there's no solid data yet and that's yet another point against the old host and in favor of the new one but overall I estimate that with ipv6 the current average ping will probably even go bellow the current value of 35.3 at the old host even with the actual player base, perhaps by some tenths of ms bellow that).

then that's all for today, I go rest that I'm sick of analyzing routes, metrics and stuff, it's done, all that is left is brought up the stats sites for the new host (probably early this week, couple of days) the usual couple of days of supervision/final adjustments and the switch should take place that I still have to think about how to do it because it's quite obvious that it's not going to happen by itself. so far I'm going to start by replacing the old UnFreeZe2 dns with the new addresses and I'll go letting you know here as more stuff happens.