online training servers map change

other Quake III Arena fpsclasico game servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

online training servers map change

Post by adminless »

following the success of the change of glacius into spacius I think that at this point nobody would understand that I keep running custom maps (the ra3maps) at the online training servers specially considering that they are available exactly as-is on the local client (ex. \exec training1). looks to me that the real interest (and mostly the effort) in running customs maps has faded overall from the community so today I followed the trend and I replaced the online training servers custom maps by a couple of Quake III Arena standard ones. in my opinion this is probably the best idea for these spare servers, not that I expect them now full/top busy, let's speak the truth, there's even not that much people left still running Quake III Arena as to full all these many servers (matter of fact, full two servers and have other two active already on a daily basis is as good as it gets) but I hope that this at least should draw some activity/attention toward these servers and, as well as with spacius, help bring some more fun and variety to the community.

I chose as replacement for the online training1 and training2 servers q3dm12 and q3dm15 respectively. in my opinion these are the very best choices considering the circumstances (variety, settings, size etc). q3dm12 even ran at the main server for some months, sure it stopped doing it for a reason, it didn't really work out on UnFreeZe however I think that for a training/warm up server, essentially a ffa slugfest, it's a great idea to get it back. q3dm15, probably most of the same, it didn't even run at UnFreeZe for more than a few games but for obvious reasons I think, however this now is probably a great opportunity to give this map some playtime too even if only casually. overall, I think it turned out "pretty good" for what these servers are, spare servers, and hopefully this will serve to also deliver those maps that were requested by some and make the absolute most of the entire Quake III Arena assets (after spacius and this change all that is left from q3 is just q3dm0/q3tourney5/q3dm19 which pretty much are "demo" maps not really of interest and q3dm9/q3dm10/q3ctf3 that even ran regularly at the mainstream servers but were too full of tunnels/campers and overall they rated just as "ok" maps falling short of the mainstream "top" quality standard).

as with anything this can always be subject to further changes on the future at convenience so any feedback/suggestions are welcome but by now I feel like this should "complete" (to some reasonable extend) the servers for this coming 20/21 fall/winter season.

imprecise
User lv3
User lv3
in-game nick: imprecise

Re: online training servers map change

Post by imprecise »

hello Adminless

thank you for the changes and for your work on the training servers :thumbup:

what is the attendance percentage of training servers?

because I never see anyone on these training servers ...

what can we do to increase their attendance, do you have any suggestions?

my suggestion: weekly or monthly training sessions and suggest players to participate if they want to improve

I therefore encourage good and very good players to volunteer to lead training sessions

and maybe after we'll play nice games more often

thanks in advance to all
"My ability to concentrate is so short that ... Oh a butterfly !"

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: online training servers map change

Post by adminless »

before the change the activity was similar to that of glacius, that's it, death server. glacius was averaging like 2/3 connections a day (thanks to the occasional duels that happened here and there) while the training servers were averaging like 1/2 connections a day (i.e. almost every day there was someone who connected to heat up for some rounds and/or to test some settings/cfg before going for the main servers). however just on the first day after the change there have been considerable activity. I mean as I said, not that they've been full/top busy or anything, but just as we speak there's people playing and across the day there was various 4/6 players games going. quite frankly, that's well beyond the current expectations for these servers and a dramatic difference so I think that this change, as well as with spacius, has been very positive.

for the rest, I don't think I'll focus too much on these online training servers, they are just that, spare servers. I wouldn't stress too much about them, I mean, it's awesome that they still get some activity but it's probably much more productive to focus on the support spacius/ctf servers instead.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.