Pick Up play on Glacius with locked teams

fpsclassico community based events and fights.
d0csnyder
User lv2
User lv2

Pick Up play on Glacius with locked teams

Post by d0csnyder »

Hi there. I just wanted to start a discussion about playing in the evenings on glacious with locked teams:

After a while Freeze starts to develop into pure FFA with 10 vs 10 - of course sometimes depending on the played map, but still it gets less and less competetive with more people and the possibility of random beginners and high pingers in the team. Back in the day people who wanted to play randomly but competetive played 5on5 in pickup style: 2 games, fixed teams, who are choosen by a teamleader from each team (usually the 2 strongest in the field) 1 by 1 ( like in the gym class in school). Each team chooses a map. no joining or leaving, no random disbalances. game starts when everybody is ready. rest of the ppl who join can just spectate till next pick up session. Of course voting and closed teams should be enabled on the server.
What do you guys think? Is this a possibilty and something to push and spread the word?

cheers

Jan
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Pick Up play on Glacius with locked teams

Post by adminless »

well, that's how a popular public server is supposed to go, for competitive games you have the masters server. besides that, the only competitions I organize that might be of your interest are here, the inside (duel) tournaments/fights. as can be see there if in something like half a year we didn't even manage to make one single fight happen (i.e. just meet two single players for a organized competitive match at a given date), quite frankly, I find your expectation of meet 20 (or any other significant amount of competitive low latency players, i.e. just eight) at a given time and that they don't come in/out, completely detached from the reality of adulthood Quake III Arena gaming in 2020.

so that being said, my advice is that those that always talk about this kind of stuff should just simply go more into glacius rather than talk so much about it but never show up there and that way may be all that you're talking about should just happen without the burden of having to organize all that. I mean, despite the unanimous popular claim that glacius would unquestionably reduce UnFreeZe1/2 to a pile of junk in just bare minutes, at most, the reality is that it's been like year and the thing is completely death for a fact so I don't see any hordes of "randoms and high pingers" going there to crash the teams.

anyways, for the rest, as I said other times, feel free to use the forum (or any other means) to organize anything you want but you're own own, I won't get involved in any of that. other than that the UnFreeZe mod neither have callvote nor "locked" teams (in that sense), though I remark, it does have a functional well-proven auto team balance that provided you meet a significant amount of skilled players it should automatically deliver the kind of games you're talking about. as much if for whatever unforeseen situation random joiners become a problem I could simply password (lock) the entire server (i.e. switch it from a public server to a private one) for the meeting, though that would probably require that those players involved would be registered here (to receive the password).
.WTF!Berkut?!
User lv3
User lv3

Post by .WTF!Berkut?! »

Is the Glacius server running? Why don't I see it in the list of servers? Glacius is a discipline for Champions. Masters is a discipline for pubes. When will the people understand this? I hate watching Championships with the Masters discipline. The champion discipline should be like Glacius, all weapons should be at the start, and the rocketjump should not cause damage. The Shaft's weapon must be weakened so that the realgun is the priority weapon in battle! Glacius is an ideal discipline for championship competitions.Сервер Glacius работает? Почему я не вижу его в списке серверов?
Glacius это дисциплина для чемпионов. Masters это дисциплина для лобков. Когда же народ это поймет. Я ненавижу смотреть чемпионаты с дисциплиной Masters. Чемпионская дисциплина должна быть как Glacius, на старте должно быть все оружие, рокетджамп не должен наносить урон. Оружие Шафта должна быть ослаблена, чтобы приоритным оружием в бою являлся реалган! Glacius это идеальная дисциплина для чемпионских соревнований.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

no, unfortunately as you just saw here it was replaced by spacius as the original glacius server was pretty much completely death. yes, I agree with you that glacius (the original one) was great, I mean, at least it was exactly what pretty much about anybody of significance had asked and wished for. unfortunately words go with the wind and later on almost nobody backed all the talking and expectations about that server. the reality is that it ran for several months (like half a year I think) and for other than a few duels (when that server wasn't even a duel server to begin with) here and there between you, rotten and a very few others, nobody really played there while spacius now has games going and a (small but yet a) population of its own already on a daily basis. just like before, even if it would be running you wouldn't pretty much have anybody to play against there so it wouldn't even really make any difference to keep running it, specially considering that the popularity trend was going from near nothing to nothing. anyways just like I wrote at other times I'll still keep the good old fashioned custom maps on the official package and may be at some point I can give it another try or just do something about them but not "any time soon". by now the servers will stick as-is which I think is the best they can realistically do.