Server Map additions

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
d0csnyder
User lv2
User lv2

Server Map additions

Post by d0csnyder »

Hey guys,
first I am so very excited that ppl are still playing q3 after all these years. like many others due to covid 19 ppl straining back to the servers and i am very happy about it. Actually there s also a minor problem. due to 22 ppl slots which is acutally awesome, some maps feel just like pure chaos while playing them.

Back in the day ppl were playing rocketarena3 with partially realy realy epic fucking maps n matches. Some maps are big enough to cope a 10 vs 10 easily.
Adding these maps would increase the gameplay by a million. I am just not sure whether its easy to implement the ra3 maps in vq3... what you guys think, do you agree/disagree?

cheers
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Server Map additions

Post by adminless »

well, this was already going strong way even before the virus situation. just a couple of months ago before the lockdowns/restrictions, this was making 250/300 unique different players a day. of course, the situation now boosted that metric more into the 350/400 range, however the initial value was a respectful figure already.

for custom maps, there's already several servers offered here. the "mainstream" ones (in reality the popular ones) run on standard Quake III Arena assets because that's what people have installed and, to be honest, what the "majority" (a.k.a. the regular average player that just want to play a few casual games here and there for fun) is looking for (think that if they are popular may be is for a reason after all). for more "competitive" games you have the glacius server that runs exclusively on a set of the best custom maps ever. look it up at the master, today at 21:00 local time people is scheduled to meet up there, make sure to not miss it.

as for the the ra3 maps, it's interesting because I was exactly messing up with that as we speak these last days. make the ra3 maps work here is a five minute task, no big deal, I could do that in no time. in fact, as I was preparing the client for future versions I was precisely adding the ra3 maps (1 and 4/"Theatre Of Pain" and "Castle Deathstalker") as training maps. I wasn't planning on releasing that stuff until a few months later as I've just released a new ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.4.zip package (that you should have already got) right this week but as you're bringing this topic now I may hit you here with another new package in a couple of days so you can have a test of it and report back to me.

anyways that being said, know that while sure it's quite obvious that this is rooted on ra3, at the same time, it incorporates several elements from plenty of other things so the final game goes well beyond ra3 and you can not just compare them/judge them by the same standards. so as for running the ra3 maps here for real at the servers beyond the training client, I don't see it happening. think that ra3 maps lack items altogether to start with, map resource team domination happens to play a role of this just to put a simple obvious example. from the ra3 map set you have the original overkill (ra3map11) at glacius and even so it's one of the worst rated ones and the other ones would probably play even worse. basically put, ra3 maps were designed for something very specific and this goes well beyond just ra3, so they don't even fit that good here. the custom rotation you can play at glacius is vastly superior.
d0csnyder
User lv2
User lv2

Post by d0csnyder »

dude, thx for the reply! I see your point concerning no correct item placement etc. but if you play pro-t4 with 16 ppl no one cares about items aswell :)
Ill check glacious out. THX for all the good work dude!

If I just got you right now. do you also admin the osp 1on1 server? Because is it possible to disable the bot support there? If you wanna play against some1, and you join the server there are always 2 ppl online. Even when you play and wait for an oponent, no one will join because ppl think that there are just 2 bots playing instead of one real player fighting a bot to kill the time while waiting for an enemy. So, if you are an admin, please swith the bots of, so more random joiners will be on the server and more epic duel action will be in place :)

THANK YOU!!
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

I know, the rotation actually depends on the server load, however recently the problem with the mid size maps is when they make like a billion connections afterwards which nowadays is most often than not. well, unlucky, just shit that happens, the map will end sooner or later and a new proper bigger one will load. there's no much to do about it, you're not going to make the "rotation" q3dm7 24/7 for example, aren't you?

and yes the "masters" server is also another official and, since this last package, "mainstream" fpsclasico server, so yes, I think I can look up into that in the next days and correct that bot report issue.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, the ra3 maps added to the new ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5.zip package so make sure to check it out and let me know how you see that. you can get some Rocket Arena 3 alike game just by doing \exec training1 and \exec training2 for ra3map1:4 and ra3map4:4 respectively. of course, it's not intended to be Rocket Arena 3, just something similar that better correlates into Quake 3 Arena/UnFreeZe thus obviously don't judge it by the same standards as I told you. in addition you also have added online versions of those training games you can view here so make sure to give a quick test to those too.

and that's it, unfortunately I've been quite busy with all this stuff and it took me a bit more time than just a couple of days but, anyways, at least now you also have some Rocket Arena 3 alike experience added to the project. as for the masters thing, like I said, I'll also look into that when I get the time.