Questions about this FREEZE mod

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
Ornib
User lv1
User lv1

Questions about this FREEZE mod

Post by Ornib »

Hello,
First of all I want to congratulate you on your work, which keeps this game alive today!
Besides, I have some questions about this FREEZE mod.
Is it possible to create a private server? I have a Q3 server for around 6 active players and I would like to integrate your mode in the menu. If yes, is there a tutorial?
Another question: is there any support for Flexible HUD mod, really important for me and the players.
Mod Flexible HUD: https://discourse.ioquake.org/t/flexibl ... -ioq3/1012
I already tried to integrate it but the games crash after 2 minutes ...
The only similar mod relatively compatible is FreezeDT but it dates from 2003 and is not as good as yours.
Thank you for your information! :thumbup:
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Re: Questions about this FREEZE mod

Post by adminless »

hello and welcome to the forum

thanks for the positive feedback. as for the server files, this has already been asked several times, unfortunately that's not possible as all the related server files here are private. I know that you can think of me as selfish, a tyrant, call me names and whatever, but look, I'm gonna be honest with you, at the end of the day it's not just a matter of "effort"/"credit" here, that sure to some extend it also is, but more a matter of responsibility. you may not believe it but trust me when I tell you that release those files probably will do more harm than good. one of the big time killers of this Quake III Arena scene/game has been server cannibalization which is what will lead to release the server files here. to have something like 20 kids running each exact copies of this (claiming each to be "special" and "superior" of course) for no good reason at all and then the whole scene start fighting each other for the very same players/servers until self destruction instead of just actually playing the game. I think that none of us want that.

in that regard, if you take a look at the direction the gaming industry took you'll can easily see that virtually all the games that followed after Quake IV and so took away from their clients the ability to run old school style servers/communities like this one and instead keep the right (as well as responsibility) of running such services in-house or just provide trivial non-dedicated player versus player matches experience instead, you should may be wonder why? the reasons I'm telling you, they did and the countless brain death kids killed their games, so they took it away. simple and to be honest, I don't blame them, I understand that perfectly, it seems like a reasonable thing to do, I mean that's, among other, at the end one of the reasons why I went the solo way.

so yeah I understand you and I know that it's somehow "unfair" that because of some random rogue guys the rest have to pay the bail but unfortunately that's how things work. I trust you when you say that you just want to run a private server for fun like this one and trust me when I tell you that I wouldn't have any problems with that at all but unfortunately when you set a policy you must stick to it or other way it will unavoidably end up failing. truth to be told is that once I hand someone my files I lose total control over them and I have no guarantees whatsoever of how they are actually going to end up being used.

I'm also fully aware, of course, that this is not a original game and that at the end of the day anyone (to some extend) can come up with something either "similar" or even superior anyways. sure, that's also life how life works, but at least I'm not even gonna facilitate it myself first hand just like that. anyways sorry for the big lecture but as it's a common/recurrent topic I believe that it was important to fully address it.

now coming to the client files, some of those mod features, essentially the aspect ratio fix, are also present on the UnFreeZe cleint game mod (current version: ioq3v6-unfreeze-client-v20.5.zip) so you may be interested in give it a try. beside that's essentially a "basic" vanilla Quake III Arena client game mod so it just should work as is at the server. I mean I just tested it before for a map and it just worked right away without issues. in fact, I may even end up adding it to the clean files server database as you brought it to me.

yeah for the rest there's also plenty of there mods that should be compatible here.
Ornib
User lv1
User lv1

Re: Questions about this FREEZE mod

Post by Ornib »

Thank you for your very complete answer, I understand why you do not want to share your source codes, it is your right elsewhere and you cannot be sure of what I could do with it ... I understand your resonance, the processing must be the same for everyone without exception so don't bother trying to prove you that I only play in small groups (family and close friends).
Concerning the other points I will test this evening if the FOV fix is well functional on the client pack. I sometimes play online when there is not enough on my server. 8-)
I have one last question: do you know newer modes than FreezeDT (2003) or Efreeze (2005)? What could I use for my private server?
Thank you again, have a good day!