Two issues

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
kos
User lv2
User lv2

Two issues

Post by kos »

Hello admins and other techie unfreezers,

I need your help on two issues I currently face:

1. the sound when you get close to a frozen teammate is similar with the sound that tankjr makes when jumping and I can't distinguish between an enemy coming from around the corner and a teammate being unfrozen (i have the enemymodels set as tankjr). Is there a way to change the sound of close-to-thaw in the cfg file?

2. a few video settings don't apply from my autoexec.cfg, like picmip which I have set to 16, as I run the game on a windows tablet with an intel atom cpu and any extra fps is nice, and also the contrast helps my rather poor aim. I currently bound the picmip 16 and vid_restart to a key but I have to press it everytime I join the server. Is there another way to do it?

many thanks!
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Re: Two issues

Post by tar »

@2) do you set it by seta picmip "16"? then it is archieved in the q3config.cfg and should be used on the next start.
newb.zi (stats · system)
kos
User lv2
User lv2

Post by kos »

I checked and I had seta(w a) picmip "16" in autoexec.cfg and seta(w a) picmip "5" in quake3config.cfg and they are not applied at start for some reason. I added set(w/o a) picmip "16" in both and its the same.
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

strange. make a shortcut and add the "+exec autoexec.cfg" into it - test if you can exec this from your console after you started the game. perhaps you have used the wrong folder.
newb.zi (stats · system)
tar
User lv4
User lv4

Post by tar »

btw. @1 and @admin:

I would like to see a thaw graph that shows the left thawing time when you thaw someone (with name). Could be mutiple graphs if you thaw multiple players simultaneously. Then you are also immediately notified when your thawing got interrupted.
newb.zi (stats · system)
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

Post by adminless »

hey hello kos, wellcome to the forums

ok, about your first issue, currently no, that's handled server side but it can be another improvement for a future release of the mod, thanks for feedback mate. about the second as tar is pointing out that's rare, those kind of problems are usually misinstallation/updates or related issues, probably what's happening is that the autoexec your adding is getting overridden by another one, if you don't get it sort it, I would suggest to reinstall the game. also note to put your cfgs on the unfreeze folder not in the baseq3 folder as other way the unfreeze files will take precedence over the baseq3 ones (which can lead to the behavior you're describing). additionally another easy "fix" for that probably would be just to pick up the unfreeze-client-full-prerelease.zip and play the game from there (which is basically and independent installation).

and tar hehe yes that's another good suggestion there, I'll "note" it down too (I mean, here), good suggestions lately looks like probably I'm going to have to start working with that 1.2x unfreeze version "soon", probably within the next month/40 days or so, current imminent schedules are "finish" (for now) with that ioQuake3 small 2018 revision during this week (to finally finish with 1.1x) and then relocate UnFreeZe2 on that dev box for better localization and increased availability some days after that (probably another week or so), then I'll probably start with some client game mod code again.

thanks for the feedback guys
cBs KRA7OS
User lv4
User lv4

Post by cBs KRA7OS »

kos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:41 Hello admins and other techie unfreezers,

1. the sound when you get close to a frozen teammate is similar with the sound that tankjr makes when jumping and I can't distinguish between an enemy coming from around the corner and a teammate being unfrozen (i have the enemymodels set as tankjr). Is there a way to change the sound of close-to-thaw in the cfg file?

2. a few video settings don't apply from my autoexec.cfg, like picmip which I have set to 16, as I run the game on a windows tablet with an intel atom cpu and any extra fps is nice, and also the contrast helps my rather poor aim. I currently bound the picmip 16 and vid_restart to a key but I have to press it everytime I join the server. Is there another way to do it?

many thanks!

Siema, dźwięki możesz sam podmienić wszystko znajduje się w plikach standardowych pak 0 do 8 oraz w plikach pak unfreeze a pak to poprostu ZIP takie możesz na żywo podmieniać ,możesz zmienić wszystko co ci się tylko podoba:)
kos
User lv2
User lv2

Post by kos »

To fix the config issue I had to add "+exec autoexec.cfg" in the bat file Unfreeze1-Intel.bat, as copying them to the unfreeze folder did nothing.

Thanks for the help!
kos
User lv2
User lv2

Post by kos »

Nowy wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:51
kos wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:41 Hello admins and other techie unfreezers,

many thanks!

Siema, dźwięki możesz sam podmienić wszystko znajduje się w plikach standardowych pak 0 do 8 oraz w plikach pak unfreeze a pak to poprostu ZIP takie możesz na żywo podmieniać ,możesz zmienić wszystko co ci się tylko podoba:)
Thx for the tip, but if you change the pk3 files doesn't the server flag you as a cheater? I think punkbuster (i'm not sure this is even in use anymore?) was checking the hash of all pk3 files but I might be wrong.

Either way I switched to Keel as the enemy model as it covers the enemy hitbox a bit better than tankjr, so the problem is solved for me and on top of that rail accuracy went up a few percentages.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

exactly you got that right and that's why that's a very bad idea and something people shouldn't do, that's no way of fixing anything, that's simply hacking. and for the second yes that's probably the "fix" (i.e. workaround) for that, yes keel should do better :D I didn't suggested it as it's none of my business to tell players how their games should look like. glad to hear everything is fine then.
kos
User lv2
User lv2

Post by kos »

adminless wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 exactly you got that right and that's why that's a very bad idea and something people shouldn't do, that's no way of fixing anything, that's simply hacking. and for the second yes that's probably the "fix" (i.e. workaround) for that, yes keel should do better :D I didn't suggested it as it's none of my business to tell players how their games should look like. glad to hear everything is fine then.
Indeed Keel rulz. I attempted to use it in the past but couldn't get used to it. It takes a while to get a feel of the smaller model but now it works better for me accuracy wise, and also the sounds are much better.

If I were to be picky, I would say that friendly thawing and enemy thawing could have different sounds but I'm not sure that's worth looking into.

On a sidenote, what's your nick ingame?
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe probably it's not but thanks for the suggestion anyways and while from time to time I connect to the servers (mostly to ensure first hand that everything is working adequately and/or to test issues/updates etc) I personally don't use to frequent the servers themselves in-game, that's not my business here.