UnFreeZe Game Servers Map Rotation

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

UnFreeZe Game Servers Map Rotation

Post by adminless »

the rotation is structured as follow and is currently finished:

- mini maps:
q3tourney1 & q3tourney3

- small maps:
q3dm2 (1:2) & q3dm3/q3dm5 (1:1)

* medium bridge:
q3dm4

- medium maps:
pro-q3tourney2 & pro-q3tourney4

* big bridge:
pro-q3dm13

- big maps:
pro-q3dm6(2:1) & q3dm8 (1:2)

* top bridge:
q3dm7

- top maps:
q3dm11(2:1) & q3dm14(1:2)

- bonus map:
q3dm3/q3dm5

other maps status:

-q3dm0, q3dm1, q3tny5: "demo" maps
-q3dm16, q3dm17, q3dm18, q3dm19, q3tourney6: bad quality/rail-only maps
-q3dm9, q3dm10, q3dm12, q3dm15: ok maps, tried did NOT work/horrible reception
-custom maps: tried "crashed" the server. left running at non main times on UnFreeZe2 (see list)

in order to make the game more exciting the rotation will switch between a shorted version (up-to the top bridge) at not main times (i.e. in the mornings and nights) and a "extended" version (since the smalls maps category) at main times (i.e. the whole central european afternoon/evening and midnight).

legend: in parenthesis are ratios and asterisks denotes roots

regarding voting, the rotation is currently finished so changes are highly unlikely still if you want you can vote for your more/less favorite maps and influence (not simply choose, you just can't do that here, but at least I remark influence) the different load ratios and weights in the rotation at the different polls at the polls sub-forum here.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UnFreeZe Game Servers Map Rotation

Post by adminless »

ok, added q3dm12 to the rotation thanks to the 22 players update and a new chain category with the most voted maps from here to give them a slight (just slight) boost. note about q3dm12 that at the moment chances of it loading are very very low, in practice I don't think it will load most that once a day if is that it does at all so either for the good or for the bad it shouldn't be a major issue, then from there we can see how it does in practice and tune it accordingly as always. for the rest, the most part, the rotation keeps being the same.

well that's all for now, small autumn 2017 rotation tweak :P
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

Hi Adminless,

I know you have just added q3dm12 but this map is so boring.

Since everybody got railgun it is very campy and really no fun at all. I would love to see this map removed as soon as possible and for all times :-)

Best regards,
Last edited by fernandinho1337 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

??? you know if that would come from another player I would understand but the problem here is that it was specifically you who requested it in the first place (blog at august) then you either requested something that you didn't even like yourself or you just requested something without even really knowing the implications of what you was requesting ("thinking"), whatever the case is, it really irritates me when people does things like that (or like requesting custom maps that they don't even have installed themselves, not your case but this is a public conversation, so just saying). then no sorry you requested for it so now you will have it, if you didn't want it then wouldn't have requested it in the first place :P

ok, don't worry, now seriously, matters aside, well I brought myself in-game to first hand check this and yes while it's true that there was some railgun predominance and some camp is also as true as you just connected and played something like 1 or 2 mins (score 2 or 3 I think) before come to the conclusion that the map was basically shit, well, I feel that that's also a unfair judgment, to me it just looks like you just joined the server to have some frenetic non-stop action (hey which I'm totally up for, don't get me wrong) but at the same I believe that you're again not taking in consideration that "may be" (most likely) there's also other players that "may be" have been here having that frenetic non-stop action for hours that "may be" at some time in the evening may enjoy playing something out of the usual.

ok, with that I'm not saying that this is going to be a definitive addition either, what I'm saying is that as you can understand you can not really make a overall judgment about something based in 1 or 2 mins of play or 1 or 2 games, that's non-sense, there's need for more time to really come to a meaningful conclusion, overall so far, well, the reception was really lukewarm, definitively not that bad, it's true that some people complained (you, tar) but again is as true as some other people (some rus guys, may be even more) praised it and overall (the rest of the people) the game worked for the most part, keep in mind that that for a "new" map people isn't used to is not that bad of a reception (compare it to q3dm11 when it was first introduced, many people just blatantly hated on it and now it became norm then if each time something changes, we immediately discard it like 2 mins later well then we would be playing pro-q3dm6 and may be pro-q3dm6). in addition to that it was also requested by some at the map polls (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16), of course that doesn't mean that I'm just gonna mindlessly do what the polls say (i.e. add q3tny5), no the polls are there to better have a picture as a reference in what I can base the admin decisions I take therefor even if I don't (and won't) stick to them is also important to take them in consideration (if you're going to do absolutely nothing about them then what's the point of having then there).

as a summary, like I said I haven't did of this a central map and i don't plan to but overall, I feel that so far with the 22 players update it fits for some casual once a day or so (which is the current targeted ratio) game that, trust me on this, in the long run is gonna help bring some variety and freshness to the rotation. then we'll see how this finally turns out, by now I'll leave it at least some days minimum.

see you by now
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-10-23 21-55-51.png
(51.8 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

hi

i know what i suggested and i was wrong! :-D

i connected yesterday got fragged quickly and waited > 5 mins. then i was suddenly put in spectator mode (due to inactivity?) and then rejoined team blue. so i guess alltogether i played the map like 10 mins. i was mistaken about the game dynamics on this map. on regular q3 tdm it was played much more aggressive. unfortunately it doesnt translate into unfreeze. i spectated ppl camping in some hallways with railgun and basically not doing anything which made it very boring. i guess the reason is railgun. on regular tdm u do not have all the guns and the map is very open. so ppl go really a lot in attack mode. but now everyone has railgun so it really makes u play much slowlier and defensively. i really dont like the idea of being put 3mins or more into spectating because thats too much. i misjudged the experience.

bottom line: if u happen to reconsider map rotation again i would support the idea of dropping dm12 or reducing the likeliness of the map coming up. besides i realize the default q3 map pool is limited and since this is a non-custom-map-server it is difficult/impossible to mix things up over and over again :-)

additionally: it is not any kind of criticism: it is my favorite server to play in europe so i use this forum to give my opinion because i am allowed to. thanks btw ;-)

best regards,
Last edited by fernandinho1337 on Tue Jan 23, 2024 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

don't worry it's ok, I mean, it's fine to make mistakes, you, me and everybody make mistakes that's fine as long as people learn from them, anyways as you can see this is a good situation to evidence why callvote is disabled, with callvote on random shit like that won't load "once a day" (if it does) it would load every now and then a bunch of random guys get bored cause as you can see the thing is voted (even by well know players as you know yourself) either because of lack of game admin knowledge/vision/experience or out of boredom so this is a good example to evidence why callvote for a public server like this one is such a terrible idea, just saying.

now on topic hehe ok, that's another thing, that's fine, I know, I know, that's why I told you then that that map didn't have "that" quality here (and that was then, with typically 16/17 players not 22 like now so imagine it) but anyways I finally decided today in the morning to give this a small tweak and created a custom ruleset just specifically for that very own map more based in some modded tdm settings (as you're suggesting) rather the usual Rocket Arena 3 settings I mainly based the whole thing and then we'll see how it does, I insist, we'll see and then we'll think (well at least I'll do), I'm not saying, "hell yeah, I'm the boss, this is done and is gonna play forever, stfu" you know, so yeah meaningful feedback is welcome.

game simulations this morning gave very positive results but to be honest I can't tell for sure how that will translate later to real players games and tastes, at least I personally had lots of fun testing it haha so let's see, I know well that lot of people is gonna be huge WTF!!! (it's more like a different mod for the most part, so I understand) about it so don't worry that I'm already braced myself for the most pure forms of hating hehe

ok, I guess we'll talk then, at least if it coincide you check it out, try it and let me know and I'll correct/adjust etc as necessary.

see you
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

well, ok I think I'll remove it hehe I've just tried it now but it was obvious that it did not work and looks like a waste of time to try to do anything more with it so yeah I'll forget about this idea. then with this I can also confirm now that when it comes to the UnFreeZe gameplay itself all this development is finished and closed, I believe that as you can see I've already tried everything in the book and more to really tell what does it and what doesn't so it's time to call the things finished and leave them how they are (which are pretty good already). with this I believe that I will also close the polls (at least the one about alternative maps) since is that all those has already been tested all that was left because the server wasn't big enough was this one q3dm12 and it didn't do it so nothing more good is going to come from there.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok, following the recent incident where I had to halt the development for some time in order to get the servers going and since I was in particular working around/polishing the server config, files and that kind of stuff and I tweaked the rotation to adequate it to the current votes (likes/dislikes) at the map polls in the poll subforum.

well, first report that as mentioned on previous post q3dm12 was promptly removed hehe and finally as a last minute tweak since I had created a "once a day" (if it happens) spot for it rather than remove this spot I use it for the closest thing to q3dm12, q3dm11, so "now" (apparently almost a month ago already hehe) q3dm11 has a marginal more chance of loading.

once reported that now start by analyzing the current results of the maps votes at the poll subforum (keep in mind that one must account either for likes and dislikes, both, for a map), basically I believe it can be summarized like this:

-small/top maps: q3dm2,3,4,5/q3dm11,14 - ok/average/mixed reception. all of these maps that are at the extremes of the rotation and therefor that has lower likelihoods seems to be (on average and in general terms) as liked as disliked.

-popular maps: pro-q3tourney2, pro-q3tourney4, pro-q3dm6, q3dm7.

-unpopular maps: q3dm8, pro-q3dm13.

for the most part is what I had expected (yes, dm6/7 only server hehe sorry guys but as I've already elaborated several times I'm not gonna do that for obvious reasons, that would be a killer in the long run, yes that would be pretty "fun" but just for some time, after some time, and not even many, that fun would worn out, so no sorry that's not any kind of "rotation" let's be serious) and what the actual rotation already does (as much as possible) however there's one notable difference from what i had expected here (and therefor with what the rotation was doing) and is in the mid busy server range so to account for this difference and accommodate it to your actual tastes I greatly increased the likelihood of the pro-tourney maps (2/4) of loading (therefor indirectly reducing overall the likelihood of dm13 that seemed to be also somehow unpopular). for the rest like i said not big changes here is the very same thing just that small accommodation.

well, that's it for now at this topic, have fun, see you.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok guys just letting you know that following suggestions from players I introduced small changes to the lower part of the rotation that runs exclusively in the mornings/nights when UnFreeZe1 isn't full in the last days for that small 2018 review of the rotation. then, this time basically I simply reduced the weight of q3dm2 into a more normal weight (yes q3dm2 was actually over weighted in the overall rotation weight as it was first introduced in a later revision in a bonus category for a start pump I had missed to compensate for in the long run, now corrected) and added q3tourney1 and q3tourney3 into a new low weight mini maps category only for those 1vs1/2vs2 games when building up the server at that, mornings/nights, which was the very last "usable" thing here left from the original Quake III Arena assets to add.

my opinion is that q3tourney1 actually worked pretty good here, I think that map turned out pretty good and may be it could even gain some more weight (for mini/small games we're talking about here of course) in the rotation but well let's better leave the things as they are. in the other hand q3tourney3 in my opinion is pure garbage, I think that is just a no brainier boring useless map, well I don't care very much as actual chances of loading are near zero (may be a couple of times) and nevertheless games there seem to finish rather quickly so let's leave it by now for whoever may enjoy it, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'll update the polls now with the new maps (which will reset the votes) so make sure to leave your vote again in this matter for the new 2018 year :D

poll's forum: viewforum.php?f=18