UnFreeZe Game Servers Downloads & Documentation

UnFreeZe/FreeFUn/glacius Game Servers forum.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin
in-game nick: not available

UnFreeZe Game Servers Downloads & Documentation

Post by adminless »

hey hello everybody

first of all the UnFreeZe Game Servers are Quake III Arena game servers, unfortunately Quake III Arena is not a free game, therefor to play at these servers first you need to get yourself a copy of the game (buy it), don't worry nowadays a game like Quake III Arena ain't that expensive anymore. you have it at gog or steam for example usually (not always) at affordable prices, so check it out, I got mine at a discount just for a couple of bucks.

Quake III Arena on steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/2200/Quake_III_Arena/

Quake III Arena on gog: https://www.gog.com/game/quake_iii_arena

if you got the digital version it already comes in the latest official version 1.32b so right now you're just good to go and connect to the servers nothing more is required to play. if you didn't or you're old school cross version player, you'll need latest official Quake III Arena point release (patch) 1.32b version to play here. you can get yourself a copy of this patch to install it on the links down bellow just chose the appropriate one for your platform:
additionally if you just want some bright models and grenades and nothing else beside original Quake III Arena you can also install these simple pk3 files for that purpose, zzz-mpskins.pk3 and zzz-grenade.pk3 (put them on your baseq3 folder) and make sure to set your com_hunkmegs to a sane value like at least 80 for example to ensure that your client doesn't run out of memory and that's all. now although optional it's strongly recommended (virtually required for solid results) that you use the latest provided Quake III Arena ioQ3v6 Client patch 1.33a and the UnFreeZe Client gamemod v1.1a instead for a much better and easier experience. the servers would really work better if everybody (or at least most people) would be using the provided files.

after years of extensive use and testing a package containing all the necessary files (note: beside the Quake III Arena game itself obviously) has been published this May 2023. this package is expected to be a very stable version and, to the best of the public knowledge, bug free for the most part then please make sure to read the installation instructions so you don't mess it up (which seems to be the biggest source of errors so far). ok, without further redo the link for this package is as follows:
additionally the 2021 in addition to the previous well known solid package a new alternative more standard community based packaged containing 64 bit binaries and support for more platforms among other things has also been published so feel free to give it a try too and use which one works better for you. the recommended is probably have both installed (they are independent) just in case/for reference. ok, the download link is as follows:
ok, let's try to make this as simple and understandable as possible. the instructions to install any of these packages are pretty much straightforward, simply download, extract (unzip) it where ever you want (recommended at your desktop), put your original pak0.pk3 from your Quake III Arena installation inside the baseq3 folder and then proceed to double click on some of the provided ioq3v6.exe or ioquake3.x86_64.exe (or respective binary) files just there, nothing more. this installation is intended to be completely independent from other Quake III Arena installations (so you don't have to worry about anything) as well as portable (meaning you can just move it anywhere else as-is) so let's explicitly remark that, you don't need to copy these files anywhere else nor you need to copy any other files into it, as that's probably the number one mistake people make. for reference the typical installation in windows (once cleared of unnecessary files) should look something like that of the screen here and on linux like this (as view from a terminal). also remember that although this is expected to be some sort of "final" kind of release it's still probable that it gets updated from time to time as needed so make sure to keep reviewing the forum to stay up-to-date. now, for your information the details for the required original Quake III Arena pak0.pk3 file are as follow:

Code: Select all

pak0.pk3

usual installation location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quake III Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
usual gog location: C:\GOG Games\Quake III\baseq3\pak0.pk3
usual steam location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Quake 3 Arena\baseq3\pak0.pk3
usual cd location: D:\Quake3\baseq3\pak0.pk3

file size: 479493658 bytes (457.28 MiB)

md5sum: 1197ca3df1e65f3c380f8abc10ca43bf
sha1sum: 9d588ea65e92944d3e23eeb6ec08f1dd666f4658
sha256sum: 7ce8b3910620cd50a09e4f1100f426e8c6180f68895d589f80e6bd95af54bcae
sha512sum: ac7b8a6c4a5e9a90d44ae3d4fb854473c5b80b7bf448c6ceaf5b48b69abc6be7a2a83eb4cc6b7dfa54e75d8273841786db14f4c6e8a2b0ecf5ffe27d6f657622
if you can't seem to find this file be it because you installed the game in some odd location or whatever you can always just ask cortana for it (i.e. search for it in your computer). if you still can't seem to find it or this file is damaged/corrupted first know that if you got a digital copy (ex. steam) you can just redownload it as many times as you want/need. at last if you legally owned the game and everything else fail or you simply want to know if this game is still really of your interest before spending your money on it you can always just ask a friend for this file but bear in mind about this last option that is in no way supported here so it's totally only your own business. don't personally ask me or ask in the forums about such manners (ask your friend about that) because you'll only get ignored at best (if not banned because of that at worst if it's a serious offense).

now a bit considerations to get it running on Windows is first that as can be seen on the attached screens (warning1, warning2) as I'm not a known software publisher (to Microsoft) is likely that you receive a security warning when running the executable for the first time. this is normal and can be skipped as shown in the screens (click on "More info" and then "Run anyway"). this security warning should only display for the very first time you run it. on successive start ups it should launch just fine and I believe that as the package gets some "reputation" (it gets used by various people basically) it should go away with the time altogether. secondly and no less important on Windows is that you disable "Enhance pointer precision" (aka windows mouse acceleration) as can be seen on the attached screen (mouse) for some solid mouse input (this is obviously crucial for the game). this is a well know "issue" (functionality) of Windows that interferes with games and it's something totally external to the files provided here. in addition the "binaries" provided here (the executable and the single player libraries) are self signed by me so if you want to verify their integrity as trusted software you're going to need to add my code signing certificate as trusted people. both files (the certificate as well as the shell command to add it to/remove it from the trusted store) are included under the cer folder on the package although remember that this is a extra unnecessary step and that that command needs to be run from a elevated prompt (i.e. as administrator) so don't get messed up.

on Linux on the other hand make sure to have installed all the needed library dependencies on your system and note that they're 32bit (typically "i686") versions of them. this typically include glibc, libX11, libXau, libXext, libXxf86dga, libXxf86vm, libxcb as well as have 32bit drivers for your graphic card (the open source mesa ones are typically libglvnd-glx and mesa-dri-drivers) and sound card (which typically output trough openal-soft which also generally depends itself on alsa-lib and alsa-plugins-pulseaudio). as noted sound will generally output though openal routines however whoever still prefers to keep using the original oss routines can do it by simply setting "\s_useopenal 0" and restarting the game and then following the old linux sound procedure ("modprobe snd-pcm-oss" and "echo 'ioq3v6 0 0 direct' > /proc/asound/card*/pcm*p/oss" plus setting snddevice to the appropriate /dev/dsp* device you wanna use in-game in a nutshell). finally in addition if you also need to get the necessary pak0.pk3 file to run the game from somewhere else but you got the steam version of the game you can even get it yourself with the Linux steamcmd tool (ex. ./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +login my_steam_user +force_install_dir quake3 +app_update 2200 validate +quit) and if you didn't got stuck at setting it up at some point you'll be good to go, no need to do any other thing.

a point of confusion here for some users about these linux instructions is that they refer to red-hat derivatives distributions. please note here that on debian based distributions the 32 bit architecture is generally refereed as i386 instead and it typically has to be enabled on your system via the "sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386" command in order to be able to install 32 bit packages. also the name of the packages there vary from the mentioned ones. for reference a typical dependency install command on a ubuntu 20.04 LTS system would probably be "sudo apt-get install libasound2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libc6:i386 libgl1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxau6:i386 libxcb1:i386 libxext6:i386 libxxf86dga1:i386 libxxf86vm1:i386 libgl1-mesa-dri:i386 libopenal1:i386" instead.

before proceeding further it's also important to note here (common to any system) that as with any high level application it's demanding on your computer resources (gpu as well as cpu) so in order to archive good results make sure to enable a "high performance" (or similar) power plan on your operative system (reference) as well as properly tune your graphic drivers as you see fit. this is a point typically overlooked and although for full size desktop computers is not usually the case this is a specially important point for any short of laptop/"portable" computer (which are pretty much the "norm"/trend nowadays). then please always make sure that your power plan isn't cutting your computer resources in order to save power and consequently always game with them plugged in to the wall when apply.

the provided ioQ3v6 UnFreeZe client full package is actually the recommended and only supported one thus I don't even think that it's necessary to link here all the individuals files but anyways just in case someone wanna take a look at what's inside or prefer to download/update only those files needed know that you can still access them at their corresponding ftp folder here. as can be seen there included there's Windows as well as Linux 32 bit builds and beside the generic/amd builds there's also an intel specific one (for Windows) as well as a "lowend" build with lesser cpu requirements that in practice it should run in about everything since the Windows Vista generation of computers (i.e. since about 2007) and a "legacy" one with even lesser cpu requirements. so give them a try and pick up the most appropriate and the one that runs best on your system. in addition notice that this release include some basic single payers libraries, these are the qagame something files you have under your unfreeze folder, you need to install those ones too in order for the single player/local server to work.

now here there used to be a (non comprehensive) list of features/improvements on these files however I don't think that post such stuff applies/makes sense anymore. I believe that probably the best description for the actual files at the moment is simply of an Quake III Arena 2023 unofficial patch/version specific for this particular use. I think that that's basically the most appropriate definition and what suits best these packages and post. for the most part I believe that everything (i.e. the large majority of things) should just work as-is and probably it's just better to leave it to public discussion on the forum when some specific thing doesn't or when someone else want some more info about something in particular. therefore, I'll just leave this description here and then I will write on what follows about the most remarkable/notable characteristic/settings you should be aware of, this is, a mini-how to use it, which I think that it's much more useful than a meaningless list of changes/"features".

to start with, the credits for these packages goes like this, Neil “haste” Toronto for the unlagged code, Darrell "Doolittle" Bircsak for the freeze code and notably the "ioquake3" project for several code patches and the "OpenArena" project for a bunch of features and code reference as well as obviously "me", adminless, for working out everything together and "finish" it without forgetting you all, the end-users on this forum, for the valuable feedback and testing everything out. so, now let's move on into the business, although these files will probably be compatible with many/most other Quake III Arena mods/engines/files it's been already a while since such compatibility it's no longer assured/a design goal and it's even expected that it differs more with each time. I believe that by now these files should be already stable and good enough as to truly work independently without the need to rely on other third party files and that therefor work out such scenario it's simply a waste of time and consequently of quality.

that being said, by now this should still be 99% or more at least compatible with other files, probably the only thing to note so far is that the embedded video mode sets have been updated to that of more recent popular screen resolutions from the already decades old default mode sets in the original Quake III Arena that were totally outdated by any 2010+ standards, so keep that in mind when re-using/setting a new mode set once in-game, they changed. for reference here you have the full list of the embedded mode sets in this release:

Mode  0: 512x384 (4:3)
Mode  1: 640x360 (16:9)
Mode  2: 640x480 (4:3)
Mode  3: 768x576 (4:3)
Mode  4: 800x600 (4:3)
Mode  5: 854x480 (wide)
Mode  6: 960x540 (16:9)
Mode  7: 1024x576 (16:9)
Mode  8: 1024x768 (4:3)
Mode  9: 1152x864 (4:3)
Mode 10: 1280x720 (16:9)
Mode 11: 1280x800 (16:10)
Mode 12: 1280x1024 (5:4)
Mode 13: 1360x768 (wide)
Mode 14: 1400x1050 (4:3)
Mode 15: 1440x900 (16:10)
Mode 16: 1600x900 (16:9)
Mode 17: 1600x1200 (4:3)
Mode 18: 1680x1050 (16:10)
Mode 19: 1920x1080 (16:9)
Mode 20: 1920x1200 (16:10)
Mode 21: 2048x1536 (4:3)
Mode 22: 2560x1080 (ultra)
Mode 23: 2560x1440 (16:9)
Mode 24: 2560x1600 (16:10)
Mode 25: 2560x2048 (5:4)
Mode 26: 3200x1800 (16:9)
Mode 27: 3440x1440 (ultra)
Mode 28: 3840x2160 (16:9)
to directly use any of then just do \r_mode <mode> on your console followed by a \vid_restart, like for example \r_mode 19 and a vid restart to set your game in FullHD (1920x1080) resolution which seems to be the most popular option (although probably not always the best option as explained next). then, although the original "\exec fullhd" way of setting your game in FullHD still remained in place just for compatibility purposes with other files the "proper" way of setting your game in FullHD here is just by setting your r_mode client variable to 19 which I think it's just simpler. setting your r_mode to a value of "-1" and r_customwidth as well as r_customheight to anything else will obviously give any custom resolution of your choice however given all the mode sets already embedded I don't think that it's necessary to address that here as I think that those should probably cover about almost any meaningful video resolution you might need. anyways, please don't get mess up by this, know that you can just set all this (as well as most other stuff) from the in-game menus so there's really no need to type absolutely anything to set any of the provided video modes. this paragraph has just been written as reference, nothing more, for those guys that still anyways prefer to use the commands.

in addition regarding these video mode settings it's to note that on these releases the default game resolution has been made 1280x720 (standard hd), this is r_mode 10. Standard HD rather than FullHD (1920x1080) was choosen since as hinted before FullHD isn't always the best option, specially on laptops, where many of them doesn't even have a FullHD display just to start with. millage with FullHD settings will greatly vary from computer to computer so it's really up to you to determine whether it's really worth or not to run the game at FullHD as well as at any other resolution of your interest of course. as a general generic rule of thumb I think that for other than "recent" (2013+) full size desktop pcs or high end gaming grade laptops most people should still do better running the game just at (s)HD instead (i.e. virtually any 2007+ computer).

and basically that should be it about core settings. just know that such settings come pre-optimized for this particular use already and that sure while I won't deny that it's probably still possible to chug some more from them (it will always be no matter what btw) any potential gain/improvement is gonna be pretty much marginal and mostly irrelevant overall by any 2020+ standards and it comes at the risk of hitting some rare issue by trying to go much further. so do as you please of course but I think that you'll probably do better just by taking my advice and not wasting your time without sense.

coming to the game settings themselves, there's mainly two "tiers" in a nutshell here, the "standard" (a.k.a. the default) settings and the "hardcore" (a.k.a. the "lowend") settings. as hinted by the name the game comes pre-configured already with "standard" settings so there's really no need to do anything else anymore, the game should provide adequate settings "for general use" just out of the box. the only point of attention at the "standard" (default) settings to remark here is probably the cg_forceskin game client variable that controls whether to force enemy skins to green color (value 1 and active by default) or not (value 0) and leave them as "red"/"blue" (yellow/cyan here) as that could play a part on maps where there's a predominant green background texture (rare but happens sometimes, ex. q3dm11). for the rest I think that it's pretty much what most players should expect and need from the game then I don't think that you should need to make any major adjustments over them.

as mentioned in addition to these "standard" game settings the mod also comes with a pre-defined set of "hardcore" settings if not equal at least very similar to those of the most "hardcore" players. for easiness of use to make these settings easily accessible to all the players you can simply access these settings by issuing a "\exec hardcore" command at your console. know that if these are just too much (or they aren't simply that much of a deal to you) you can just go back to the "standard" settings by issuing a "\exec standard" command on your console or simply by resetting your settings from the in-game main menu options at any time. nevertheless, don't get mislead by this, probably as a general generic recommendation for other than lowend computers (i.e. atoms/netbooks/embedded micro-computers) where the hardcore settings do really bring a noticeable performance gain (probably a +10% or even more) or "hardcore" (competitive alike) players looking forward to maximize to the highest their performance, the "standard" settings are probably still the recommended ones and what will "work" best for the "usual" player with the "usual" actual hardware.

I don't think it's necessary/makes sense to make of this post a in-depth game configuration guide (that already exists as pointed at the end of this post), so don't take this post as one, this post it's just some sort of online "documentation" (basic guide) for the provided files. however, that being said I believe that it's important to drop here at least the most significant settings involved in these "hardcore" settings at least for reference. notice that probably for changes on some of the following settings to take effect it's likely that it requires some sort of "restart" like a "\vid_restart" or a "\snd_restart". ok, then the things that you should probably want to look for when using these settings are as follow:
  • cg_centertime: how long (in seconds) messages on the center of the screen will be displayed (standard: 3, hardcore: 0)
  • cg_crosshairhealth: controls whether the crosshair will change color depending on your health status (standard: 1) or not (hardcore: 0)
  • cg_croshaircolor: when cg_crosshairhealth is disabled (0) selects the crosshair color (according to q3 color codes, default 6, magenta)
  • cg_drawfriend: 2 will allow for selecting of the friend mark color
  • cg_friendmarkcolor: when cg_drawfriend is 2 selects the friend mark color (according to q3 color codes) or automatically with 0
  • cg_frozenfriendmark: 1 selects a different mark for frozen teammates, 0 (default) selects the same mark for all the teammates
  • cg_forcemodel: 2 and 3 (default) will force enemy and team/enemy models respectively
  • enemy_model: when cg_forcemodel is 2 or 3 selects the enemy model to force (default: keel)
  • enemy_headmodel: when cg_forcemodel is 2 or 3 selects the enemy headmodel to force (default: keel)
  • cg_lgrcore: switches between the standard lightning gun (0) and a "hardcore" custom one (1)
  • cg_markstime: controls how long (in msecs) weapon impacts marks stay (standard: 0, i.e. no marks, hardcore: 2700)
  • cg_noexplosions: 1 (hardcore) disable weapon explosions (standard: 0, i.e. explosions enabled)
  • cg_nofragmessage: 1 (hardcore) disable the frag message (standard: 0, i.e. frag message enabled)
  • cg_weaponselecttime: how long in (in seconds) the weapon select pop-up will display (standard: 2.1, hardcore: -1, i.e. won't display)
about the single player/local server notice that these packages contains various entire new different single player campaign. make sure to not miss that as I believe that it definitively brings new fun to game and it's also important to familiarize yourself (at least to some extend) with the custom maps that run on some of the servers. for reference the new tiers are typically noted as the basics (tier 1), the classics (tier 2), the quakelive (tier 3), the masters/duels (tier 4), the remix (tier 5), the UnFreeZe (tier 6) and two other spare extra popular maps to complete the campaign. in addition to that there's also available two local training sessions with the console commands, "\exec training1" and "\exec training2" respectively, where you can develop your fighting and movement skills locally as well as a free for all (deathmatch) online server at the in-game browser where you can train/prepare while playing with other players. ultimately when running the game locally you should typically be aware of the following game variables that control it:
  • g_baseq3: canon vq3/single player/default 1. training/UnFreeZe 0, it gives the slightly modified UnFreeZe ruleset that you see at the servers.
  • g_ra3: canon vq3/single player/default 0. training/UnFreeZe 1, it gives Rocket Arena 3 alike ruleset (i.e. allows for rocket jump).
  • dmflags: canon vq3/single player/default 0. training/UnFreeZe 8, it disables falling damage.
and that's all about these files, hey at least give them a try, you do NOT like them, it's ok, I'm fine with that, I'm not pretending this to be the best client patch and client gamemod ever or this to be better or worse that something else. no problem at all, just delete them and don't use them, you don't have to. the servers probably won't fully work for you but it's ok, they don't have to either. thus feel free to use any other thing you want (plain q3, osp, other freeze mods, your own custom mod, whatever) just if you do, later don't complain if something doesn't work for you nor ask for support on such circumstances (ask for it to the original author/s of the files you using not here). btw just for the record people going this route should know that they can still use the teamoverlay normally with the sample commands posted bellow (typed on your console) but don't get mislead that only applies to people not using the provided files on this post.

\setu teamoverlay2 ""
\cg_drawteamoverlay 1
\teamoverlay2 1
now as a final bonus for those that want to complement the usual installation know that you can still get a community created high resolution texture replacement pack and a recent sample ffmpeg build to further process your recordings (more documentation on that topic still pending). the instructions to use the community created high resolution texture replacement pack are pretty much "standard", just download it, extract (unzip) it and put it on your baseq3 folder. the downloads are as follow:
congrats, you're done! now go enjoy and have fun after the hard reading or alternatively if you still feel like continue reading and expanding your Quake III Arena knowledge before you go you can also have a read at the Quake 3 Configuration Guide on this forum by our dear user tar.

disclaimer: this software is covered by GPL licenses and is provided as is without any kind of warranty.
Attachments
mouse.png
warning1.png
warning2.png
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: UnFreeZe Game Servers Downloads

Post by adminless »

ok guys updated the dev client pk3 to keep it in sync with latest server patch I applied this morning (more minor fixes and mostly improved weapons precision), so as always please redownload and replace.

PS: ah btw it was also requested to add a feature to disable the chat, it finally turned out that I didn't know but such feature already existed in Quake 3, so if someone feels like the chat annoys him (or just distracts him from the important) you can do it by the following command:

\cg_teamchatsonly 1
thought you'll still have teamchat and also note that the change is "permament", i.e. it will be saved on your cfg and you will not have chat again until you enable it yourself.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok guys updated the downloads post with addition of a nice Quake III Arena patch 1.33 :D check it out and let me know how it's doing. for more check main post (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11&p=29#p29) or

see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26 and viewtopic.php?f=17&p=59#p59

see you for now
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

eo hey hi guys again

ok, yesterday/today I made a small break from server development to push a new nice dev (almost final) client gamemod update, this is mostly just a end user experience improvement than anything, so the changes are as follow:

-fixed the client gamemod and added a user interface for 4:3 squarer resolutions (see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25#p63)
-new improved hits sound change frequency depending on current enemy hit health
-due popular request added enemy models functionality (ex: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=30#p98)
-various model related fixes
-code cleanse

NOTES:

there's actually three hit sounds in this release changing from pitch/frequency depending on enemy health status before being hit going from high pitch (+200 health = minimum three hits left, before counting yours) to medium pitch (+100 health = minimum two hits left, before counting yours) to low pitch (<100 health = minimum one hit left or death hit). I believe that it's a pretty neat feature taken from team arena (fair use) that should greatly improve your strategic options and help have a better understanding of the game damages overall.

now to the vastly requested enemymodel functionality, well, yes, I finally add it to the client gamemod, now you can have enemy models in the original UnFreeZe client gamemod, however note they are accessed differently from the usual "standard" here (I don't copy others, nobody likes being copied, I build my own stuff). model forcing here is accessed with the standard Quake 3 variable cg_forcemodel (why needing another one for the same thing??) so now cg_forcemodel can take three values:

- 1 : standard usage force all models like yours
- 2 : force enemy models like your model/headmodel value (keep in mind that the one you use in team types is team_model team_headmodel actually)
- 3 : force enemy models like your model/headmodel value and your teammates like yours

as noted keep in mind that your model in team gametypes are set by the team_model, team_headmodel variants instead of the standard model/headmodel ones that here then are used to select your enemies. anyways as always, sample commands to force enemies like keel and your teammates like yours default model:

\model keel
\headmodel keel
\team_model sarge
\team_headmodel sarge
\cg_forcemodel 3
of course replace keel and sarge by whatever other model you want.

well and finally that's it, I'll leave this to run for some time and if there's no more problems this client game mod will go for v1.1. overall I believe that is almost a must for frequent players at the server and now you no longer have the, "it doesn't have enemymodels", excuse anymore hahaha

happy fragging
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

i like the enemy model fix

it is basically the main reason i use osp mod. are force enemycolors intended at some point? that would make things perfect to me (maybe for some point in the future when others request it too)

best regards
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hehe that's cool then, well like I said I personally don't like them (enemy models) in my humble opinion with the provided skins (not with the default ones) are not necessary (any of them are perfectly visible which was the reason of the standard forcemodel functionality) and again imho too they can even be detrimental to the game because first they remove lot of the "personalities" of the others players (which let's say it, it's also a fun part of the game) but also very important information like who is actually your enemy, with enemy models you just know that is a enemy and know absolutely nothing more about it, without enemy models you know exactly who your enemy in particular actually is, I believe that that's a very important difference since it's actually possible to build strategies based on concrete enemies like for example avoiding a strong enemy at some point (i.e. low on health) or killing the weaker enemies first among others i guess (unfreezing, weapon preferences etc) you can't do those kind of things with enemy models. anyways of course I know people "even based their whole gameplays on them" for ages actually so I don't pretend to changes anyone's mind at this point, it doesn't matter whoever wants them, can use them, I'm just speaking my mind as the game dev/design guy here :P

ok, on-topic haha bufff man you know, well, first the UnFreeZe client gamemod actually already provides basic enemycolors functionality, your enemies should be green already by default (if they didn't you most likely missed to also install the full 1.0 package), but I guess that you're asking for the more customized thing like legs/torso/head/rail colors, man, man, may be if there's really interest I can pull off that and other things for 1.2 :P

but well that would be for something like the next year, I'm currently focus on finish patching/improving the current server code and release this unFreeZe v1.1 client package I've been talking about lately, let's say by the end of next month or so and then we'll see, so far i won't add much more things for this current release.

see you
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

hello again guys

ok, I'm here again for another quick update release of the dev version of the clien gamemod, this time this is basically the finished client gamemod 1.1 and if it wouldn't because of the newly added user interface that I'm not gonna mod or anything else but that I have to better review it and test I would package it into 1.1 if there were not problems in some time. so this is actually a pre-release for the most part. so what's new:

-added clients accuracy display in the scoreboard
-added cg_forceskin variable to toggle the use of enemy skin (enabled by default)
-fixed a small mistake I made with the new health dependent hit sounds that reported some medium status when it was high instead
-final fix of some messages and drawings

NOTES:

about the client accuracy display in the scoreboard I believe that is a nice addition that can even be useful to detect some game abnormalities (i.e. cheating). let's clear that I'm not making the claim that just because someone does x or y accuracy is actually cheating, I'm just saying that well it's at least some helpful information to have a quick idea if there's something definitively worth checking and overall I also believe that is cool information to know how we doing and compare with the rest of the room :D

in the future (mid term) is possible that I add a console command to view that information for people who doesn't use this mod.

about the new added cg_forceskin variable this variable disables/enables (enabled by default) the use of the green skin for enemies models this is mostly intended just for those rare maps that may have a predominant green textured color, most notably q3dm11. a typical usage can be like \bind F5 "toggle cg_forceskin" (replace F5 by whatever any other key you want) and then use the F5 key in your keyboard to alternate between green enemy models or the default (cyan/yellow here) team models.

btw regarding the skins I also uploaded before the skin pack I made for this mod in a separete pk3 file in case some one using another mod (or no mod) wants to have just the custom improved skins. you can get it in this link: ftp://ftp.fpsclasico.de/zzz-mpskins.pk3

may be it shouldn't even be necessary to say but let's remark that you do not need that file if using the unfreeze client gamemod that file is already contained in it.

well, that's all for now, as always REdownload and REplace current file in your hard drive (unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3), test, report and enjoy :D

I hope in something like ten days I package it into the UnFreeZe client game mod v1.1 update file.
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

ok guys it's done, after spending some time these last days finishing the server code and testing this with 32 bots on local for hours already I feel like finally this code with all these patches and features is mature and good enough to make it for some good final 22 players update so as always reupdated again the dev version for this, please REdownload and REplace. I believe the tendency here is clear so looks like a good option, in addition q3dm11 will benefit greatly with this update (q3dm11 "sweet" spot is like 12vs12) and may be (just may be) in the next days this give me some room to try (just try) some other casual map (ex: q3dm12) from time to time and with this I also think I'll run asynchronously UnFreeZe1 and UnFreeZe2 from now rather than just mirrors at times.

NOTES:

well, this is nothing new with the 22 players update but I haven't mentioned it (surprisingly didn't really surface) yet, for the most part default Quake 3 memory allocation value (com_hunkmegs 56) is not enough for anything above 16 players (i.e. until yesterday 20 players anyways) so please make sure to make them at least 77 in your client before playing here and/or if you get any allocation failed "kicks" know that they are not servers kick, is just your own Quake 3 running out of memory (and therefore exiting), please adjust your com_hunkmegs accordingly. as always recommended default pk3s sample command for 22 players:

\com_hunkmegs 77
that's all, enjoy and have fun
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40

small update again to the UnFreeZe client gamemod, luckily I didn't push 1.1 yet hehe so please as always REdownload and REplace your unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3 file. this time what has been fixed is proper display of player models and weapon effects for picmip users and increased the default limit of only eight teammates draw by the teamoverlay.

that's all, enjoy and have fun, see you
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

see: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=212#p209

well it's time for another update here hehe this time beside add a couple of advanced game features intended for more advanced players mostly it has been improved the overall aim at the game by default, in particular it has been changed:

-added cg_bob (default 0, i.e. disabled) and cg_kickscale (default 0.0, i.e. disabled) variables to disable/enable completely the bob functionality and control how much "dizziness" to feel when being hit respectively to make your aim more smooth (taken from Open Arena)
-disabled the default blinking and redness effect of the screen when being hit by default making your aim overall more clean now.
-added an alternative more bulky and simple lightning gun effect with the variable cg_lgrcore (default 0, i.e. normal lg. this requires restart for changes to take effect, be it a map restart/change, vid_restart etc)
-added cg_noexplosions (default 0, i.e. explosions enabled) variable to toggle between the use of the default or cut explosions (no explosions)

NOTES:

if you were unlucky to get the dev update file yesterday is possible that you got the old defaults for the cg_bob and cg_kickscale values (enabled instead of disabled as now) in your cfg so to ensure that you get the better aim improvements make sure to set them to 0 or just reset this variables in this updated version:

\reset cg_bob
\reset cg_kickscale
in addition to facilitate the setting of more advanced settings for users without so many knowledge about the game I attach here two sample (as always I remark smaples they don't pretend to be definitive absolute anything) cfgs (note this ones are updated from the ones in the other post) to easily switch between some "standard" (here) settings and some a bit more "hardcore" settings so this people have a more fair chance to try this things. they are mostly intended to be used from default settings (thought they will still work from your current settings anyways) and to be exec once in-game.

well that's all for now. as always REdownload and REplace usual file, test and report. have fun :D
Attachments
standard.cfg
(439 Bytes) Downloaded 92 times
hardcore.cfg
(440 Bytes) Downloaded 101 times
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

see: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=41#p218

well ok guys "final" (I hope) fine tune adjustment of the client gamemod this time removing the "vapor" like effects (not that they did much more than annoy at best and were totally outdated for the time being) from the game and the usual "final" cleaning and optimization of the last days development now things starting to look really neat :D

well, that's it for now I hope I haven't bug you too much with all these last days almost constant releases hehe sorry about at least I believe that the job worth its time, thanks for your patience.

have fun and enjoy, see you

unfreeze0-dev-client.pk3
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

see: viewtopic.php?f=14&p=226#p225

reporting here that yesterday in the evening I pushed a new little update over the previous dev version, nothing flashy this time, just a last patch for the enemy models functionality failing when changing teams and also removed (yes not just disabled, removed, it's not even there any longer) from the mod all the aim physics code that it was what most of the last updates were about so it can not even be broken anymore (i.e. missconfigured) in order to facility its use and overall make this more "fair" for everybody. so please this get this last update that this time, yes, I hope that it last at least until there's no final UnFreeZe client gamemod v1.1 so you get the clean status at the server and also all these new enhancements.

that's it, later guys
adminless
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by adminless »

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=40&start=20#p238

letting you guys know that I added yesterday at night a new update of the UnFreeZe client gamemod v1.0 dev version this time just adding a couple of requested features and a some conditioning of the screen drawings, changes are as follow:

-finally also per popular request added a cg_crosshairColor variable (default 6, i.e. magenta) to control the color of the crosshair when cg_crosshairhealth is disabled (i.e. 0)
-added display of current available ammo overlayed in the weapons change window and added a cg_weaponSelectTime variable (default 1.4, takes decimal values) to control how much time to display this window in seconds (i.e. -1 = never, 86400 = "forever" for example, personal recommended value around 3.5)
-removed the print of already unnecessary weapon/item names that just used valuable screen space

NOTES:

just one note here this time, the values (integers, i.e. whole numbers) that take the cg_crosshairColor variable to control the crosshair color when cg_crosshairHealth is disabled correspond with those that you use to color your chat messages or your name for example (i.e. 1 = red, 2 = green .. 7 = white).

that's it, hope you enjoy it, overall of course it's definitively not a game changing update but I find it to be a decent addition to the mod, so just get usual file, re-download and re-place and let me know if you have further problems or still find something missing.

best regards
fernandinho1337
User lv5
User lv5

Post by fernandinho1337 »

thumbs up